PDA

View Full Version : RIP: 2003-2008 Time VX-Special Pro

SoCalSteve
09-19-2008, 11:52 PM
Hi all,

It comes with great sadness to inform everyone that my 2003 Time VX-Special Pro has gone to Bicycle Heaven.

It started when I decided to upgrade my Time to a newer (sloping top tube model) and sell the VX-Special Pro. I found a very mint 2006 VXR locally and proceeded to purchase it with the knowledge that I will sell the VX-Special Pro to help pay for the VXR. I sold the VX-Special Pro to Skip (SBash on the Forum).

I packed it in the same box that my Ottrott came in, packed it the same way and shipped it off to Skip via Fed Ex Ground. Well, it didnt do so well on the trip to the Pacific North West and ended up having damage to the lower part of the head tube around where the integrated headset bearings fit...

I refunded Skip his funds, opened a claim with Fed Ex and Skip packed up the damaged frame so Fed Ex could pick it up and examine it.

A few days pass and next thing I know, the bike frame is sitting on my doorstep. As I proceeded to open the box and examine the damage first hand, I came to the horrible realization that Fed Ex opened the box, took out the frame and fork, pulled off the bubble wrap (that Skip packed so well) and then put the frame back in the box without putting the bubble wrap back on the frame or fork....And, to make matters worse, they didnt even fasten the fork back to the frame-side of the box-anywhere. It was just loose in the box without bubble wrap!!!

Well, the frame is toast, plain and simple. There is more damage to the head tube (top of the headtube this time) and many deep scratches in the carbon where the fork tips obviously scraped against it.

Fed Ex is sending back the full amount that it was insured for (the same amount Skip paid me) and I will give the frame the proper burial that it richly deserves (or throw it in the trash can).

Everyone please take a moment to grieve for this once beautiful looking and riding bicycle.

Thank you all for reading,

Steve

PS: The fork is doing nicely and as soon as the proper amount of time has past for grieving, it will be looking for a new home (bicycle frame).

PSS: A heartfelt thanks goes out to Skip as he was very supportive throughout this whole ordeal. He did a great job of packing back up the frame, waiting for Fed Ex to pick it up and in general just a true gentleman in every possible way throught the whole ordeal. Thank you Skip!!!

Samster
09-20-2008, 12:18 AM
there's an aig joke in here somewhere...

soulspinner
09-20-2008, 05:57 AM
Make a giant dartboard outta the frame, with the main triangle the bullseye. Play after several beers on an empty stomach.. :beer:

Peter P.
09-20-2008, 07:42 AM
I'm curious; you had nothing bad to say about FedEx-was it easy to file a claim and did FedEx honor that claim without resistance due to your insurance?

Elefantino
09-20-2008, 08:26 AM
I had the same thing happen with a Bianchi that I shipped via FedEx. It was toast, too. FedEx was good through the whole refund process.

SoCalSteve
09-20-2008, 09:19 AM
I'm curious; you had nothing bad to say about FedEx-was it easy to file a claim and did FedEx honor that claim without resistance due to your insurance?

Besides the fact that they are complete bone-heads when they repacked the bike without bubble wrap or attaching the fork somewhere inside the box, the rest of the Fed Ex experience wasnt so horrible. It was mostly about figuring out what they wanted and getting it to them via fax and email. I had the direct phone # to my claims rep, she always answered the phone and was very helpful and apologetic.

She said the "check is in the mail on Monday"...If this turns out to be 100% correct, then I have been made whole on the deal and I will move on.

ThomasRZ
09-20-2008, 02:15 PM
Wait? So it's rideable, right? Make a singlespeed or winter trainer out of it.

What kind of damage was done to the headtube? Maybe just ride it and keep due diligence for cracks?

SoCalSteve
09-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Wait? So it's rideable, right? Make a singlespeed or winter trainer out of it.

What kind of damage was done to the headtube? Maybe just ride it and keep due diligence for cracks?

Not rideable as it is....The headtube is damaged (both top and bottom) where the carbon bonds with the aluminum (where the bearings for the integrated headset sit).

I dont ever use a trainer as I can ride outside almost all year and I already have a great single speed-fixie (my Peg Marcello)...

But, the bottom line is, I dont trust that the frame will ever be structurally sound again (even if it could be repaired) and I am not willing to risk my teeth to find out.

Just sayin'

Steve

PS: I got my $$$ back from it, I was made whole again. I am not going to push the issue. Wanna buy a nice Time fork?

BumbleBeeDave
09-20-2008, 04:04 PM
. . . all the nightmare stories I've heard about filing claims with shippers--FedEx, UPS, DHL--I'm pleasantly surprised by your experience. How long did it take from you filing the claim until you were made whole? Or was it already in there somewhere and I missed it? . . .

BBD

SoCalSteve
09-20-2008, 04:27 PM
. . . all the nightmare stories I've heard about filing claims with shippers--FedEx, UPS, DHL--I'm pleasantly surprised by your experience. How long did it take from you filing the claim until you were made whole? Or was it already in there somewhere and I missed it? . . .

BBD

They said the "check is in the mail"..We'll see. And yes, it was actually pretty easy once I got through to the actual claims people and they told me all I needed to do.

TMB
09-20-2008, 05:00 PM
I dont ever use a trainer as I can ride outside almost all year

:butt: :butt: :(

Bobbo
09-21-2008, 07:55 PM
:butt: :butt: :(

That's why he's SoCalSteve and you're (we're) not.

bobbo in (soon to be frozen) Rachacha....