PDA

View Full Version : speedplay users: zero or x?

Climb01742
11-01-2004, 08:55 AM
those of you who ride speedplays, do you ride zeros or x's? any thoughts, comments, pro's, con's? thanks.

Keith A
11-01-2004, 09:30 AM
Zero's for me. I like having the ability to control the amount of float so that my heals don't hit the crankarms or chainstays. I've also heard (but don't have experience with) that the cleat design on the Zero's is superior to that on the X Series in terms of wear and problems with dirt and debris interfering with engagement.

kevininMD
11-01-2004, 09:35 AM
I use the X1s. My knees are sensitive to any restriction on float, so the X1s are perfect for me. Keith is right, though, they need to be kept at least reasonably clean to engage properly. I have seen no problems with wear however.

DfCas
11-01-2004, 09:40 AM
The X's are a "looser" fit in that there is less restriction to rocking and there is more flex in the connection.

The Zero's hook up more solidly and float only in the "twisting" plane.I prefer the Zero's,but that probably should have no bearing on your choice.

I think entry was easier on the X's,but is acceptable on the Zeros.That may be influenced by the fact that I have all float dialed out of them.Release is easy on both.

Hope this helps,
Dan C.

Climb01742
11-01-2004, 09:46 AM
on the zero's, do the float adjustment screws stay where you position them, or do they loosen up or shift during rides or over time?

Keith A
11-01-2004, 09:53 AM
I haven't had any problems with the adjustment screws becoming loose over time and I've been using these for about 1.5 years. The one thing that has come loose is the screw(s) that attach the metal part of the cleat. SpeedPlay has specific torques for these screws and warn about over tightening as this might twist the cleat, which would cause a problem with engagement. The screws come with Loctite on the threads to help keep them in place, but mine have loosened up several times and I am cautious about over tightening.

DfCas
11-01-2004, 02:25 PM
Mine have not moved,but I've only had them for maybe 500 miles.They are threaded into plastic,so I doubt they want to move.I was able to adjust them to "heel out",which I needed to fix my bad biomechanics.

Dan

Serotta PETE
11-01-2004, 02:49 PM
Have used the x1s for three years with no problems. Have not tried Zero for they require a different cleat and the x1s have worked great.

Prior to this, I used Looks.

Either work well and I know folks who swear by both.

alembical
11-01-2004, 04:48 PM
Not much help, as I have not used the x series, but I do use the Zeros and if I had to buy pedals again, I would be these again (or the ones in the Classifieds on the forum, but I think that the Ti model has a weight limit, so those would likely not work for me, but I digress.....). I switched over from the older style Ultegra pedals and have found the transition to be nice and smooth. I am recovering from a knee surgery and the ability to have more float now and then gradually get my form back and limit the float was the big apeal of these. I did find that the full float was either too much for me, or more likely just something that I would have had to get used to, so now I have limited to about half of the full (but I did decide to keep my two pedals the same although it just one knee that is messed up, I thought two different amounts of float probably would not be ideal for me, although I know others disagree). Being able to easily adjust the float and have it stay there is a big apeal. Easy entry and exit are just nice bonuses, as I never really had much problem there before.

Alembical