PDA

View Full Version : OT: I can't go short!

Volant
09-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Looks like I'll be forced into a 85cm TT!!

Seriously, ***? As Bob Pisani stated, what's next, you can't buy long? And, the government coming up with a plan to absorb "all the bad debt"?! Isn't the government just you and I when it comes down to it? I mean, where does the money come from in the end? So, let's see, we have record debt, both as a government and consumers and we're going to bail out the financial institutions with what, more debt? Can someone help me understand how all of this is a good thing in the long run?

Birch
09-19-2008, 09:40 AM
Keep in mind that a lot of this debt is marked worst case scenerio pricing.

The rumors that I've heard is that the govt will buy these "toxic" loan packages at below worst case pricing. Hold them, chop them up and resell them into the market slowly and after things stabilize. Quite frankly, it's one hell of a way to take a chunk out of the deficit if this works according to plan.

The biggest problem the street is facing is two fold. First off, they are on a timeclock here. Secondly, they have no idea what they are holding and how to price it. If you can't price it, you can't use it for collateral. When you can't use it for collateral, you've cut off your access to short term funding and in doing so, drive down the price of your "legit" assets cause people are throwing out the baby with the bath water.

The govt has two things... time and money. They ARE the biggest short term funds market in the world so they have access to all they cash they need. They have the time to wait out the storm.

It worked in the late 80's/early 90's with the S&L bailout.

dnades
09-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Interesting article on AIG and government.

http://www.democracynow.org/2008/9/17/us_seizes_control_of_aig_with

Ahneida Ride
09-19-2008, 12:16 PM
We already have Big Brother. A private central prank that controls
just about every aspect of our economy, Run by bankers to protect
bankers. It's notes are unredeemable and it's never been audited.

It creates money outa thin air and collects interest on it.
Interest on nothing is infinite interest.

of course, It's all for your protection !!!!! ;)
That's how it's sold. Always for your protection.
Becasue YOU are so stupid, you can think for yourself. ;) :rolleyes:

you can still go short on futures contracts !
Short the e-mini if you like. (lets see how long this lasts .... )

soulspinner
09-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Free Free enterprize, its no longer free. :crap:

William
09-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Free Free enterprize, its no longer free. :crap:

Yes, this is the land of the free.....free to do as you're told.

William :rolleyes:

WadePatton
09-19-2008, 05:28 PM
the companies outgrew the gov't and now control it. i don't care to live through a revolution but it will take one to set things back in order. and thas all i'm going to say 'bout that.