PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Stop Yellow Brake Pads

paczki
09-19-2008, 07:21 AM
Can you really run these pads on both carbon and aluminum rims with good braking power and decent pad life or this just the usual overstatement?

jmc22
09-19-2008, 07:36 AM
I run the Yellow Swiss Stops for both my Reynolds DV46C and Mavic Ksyrium wheels...
Since the Mavic have a Cermaic surface I am feel okay about doing it but I would not recommend using the same brake pad that you use on for your Aluminum rims on your Carbon rims as there is the chance of getting small pieces of aluminum in the brake pad that could ruin your Carbon wheels....

Charles M
09-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Same thing for the mavics... The ceramic particles are smaller but not what you should then rub on your carboon wheel brake tracks.

The yellows are also too soft to last for any reasonable length of time on most metal.

There are no pads that should be used on both metal and carbon wheels without switching...

paczki
09-19-2008, 08:40 AM
That's what I thought ....

jmc22
09-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Same thing for the mavics... The ceramic particles are smaller but not what you should then rub on your carboon wheel brake tracks.

The yellows are also too soft to last for any reasonable length of time on most metal.

There are no pads that should be used on both metal and carbon wheels without switching...

PEZ:
I average about 2,000 miles a year, I tend to alternate my wheel sets a lot between my Reynolds and Mavic on my Ottrott, I change my Swiss Stop pads each year and clean them often - since I do a lot of climbing here in CO, I may not use my brakes as much as some people.

While I am not disputing your facts - I will state in my case that after running the same Swiss Stop set up for the last 3 years on my Zero Gravity's - I have not noticed any abnormal wear on either my Mavic nor Reynolds wheel sets braking surfaces and have no problems using the same pads for both wheels.

Blue Jays
09-19-2008, 10:17 AM
I've heard wonderful things about SwissStop pads (across the line - yellow, green, and black - ) especially as compared with stock Campagnolo carbon-specific pads.

My preference is to NOT mix & match pads used with the various rim materials.
Excellent brake performance is far too important in our sport and the "price for problems" is far too expensive to be paid. 'Nuff said.

malcolm
09-19-2008, 11:40 AM
I use yellow swiss stops with both carbon and alloy rims. Usually when I switch I will brush off the pads with a tooth brush but not always I've not noticed any damage to the brake track on my carbon wheels but honestly I don't use them alot. The yellow swiss stops are soft and I think wear faster regardless of wheel type, but they stop well in any conditions and are as quiet or quieter than anything else I've tried.

Bruce K
09-19-2008, 02:01 PM
WHile I am not sure there is an issue with running them on different wheels, for the small cost involved, why risk it?

I sure don't.

As for Swiss Stops in genreal, I have had great luck with them this year and really like them.

I have green on my cross bike and crappy weather bike, black on my Ottrott (which I took to CO), and yellow on my Meivici with the Reynolds rims.

All work great and seem to last about the same as D-A or Kool Stops.

BK