PDA

View Full Version : Epi-pen Anyone?

Charley
11-01-2004, 08:54 AM
Saturday I was stung by a bee and had a pretty severe reaction. Didn't experience anaphalactic (sp?) shock, but definitely reacted abnormally. I was stung once on the hand and severe swelling extended halfway to my elbow. I've been on steriods and benadryl and, while improving, my hand is still swollen and sore. I've never reacted like this to a bee sting before.

Anyway, the doctor has now advised me to carry an epi-pen or two. In the past, I have most often been stung while riding - bee in the jersey, etc.

Anyone here carry them? If so, how/where? Are they available in different forms? I haven't gotten one yet so I don't know how big they are. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Charley

Richard
11-01-2004, 09:05 AM
I have one. Got it after a bee stung me on the lip. Of course while riding. Caused a bit of a problem. Anyway, the Epi Pen is about the diameter of a finger and as long as a pen. Not to cumbersome.

M_A_Martin
11-01-2004, 09:19 AM
Please check with an allergist about your evident allergy before you start carrying an epi pen! Make sure you're not allergic to the eppinephrine!

I only say this because I react to certain bee stings, and eppinephrine as well...my understanding is the particular bees I'm reacting to have an eppinephrine like substance in their sting...So I carry benadryl with me whenever I ride.

(I realize the scientific statements in this post are suspect...however, evidence shows that it "works for me" that way.)

zap
11-01-2004, 09:20 AM
My wife carries one which she places under the leg grippers of her shorts. Come to think of it, I need to ask why she doesn't put it in her back pocket :rolleyes:

She keeps hers in the storage tube, so it's about the size of a fairly long marker.

My wife has had pretty severe reactions in the past, last being a trip to the ER. So she doesn't leave home without it.

vaxn8r
11-01-2004, 03:38 PM
Charley,

even though you swelled up to your elbow it is still not anaphylaxis, as you know. Steroids aren't going to help your hand shrink any faster and neither will carrying an epi pen in the future. You had a significant localized reaction. That's all. Carry a pen if you want to but there's no data that bad localized reactions lead to anaphylaxis.

Now if you get stung on the hand and your face swells up or your throat gets constricted....you better take that seriously. A woman died recently around here. She got stung, her son went to the car to get her pen and by the time he got back she was dead.

As for your arm, put a compressive dressing on it and ice it if it gets unbearably itchy. That's all you can really do...that's effective.