PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Bikes, what are you riding

Steelhead
09-17-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm in the mood for a new full suspension mountain bike after devoting the last couple of weeks to the local trails.

Here is what I like, in no particular order:

Santa Cruz Blur
Turner 5 Spot
Yeti AS-R
Ellsworth Truth

Probably be an XT/XTR build on hand built wheels (26") Fox shock and fork. Looking for not too much rear travel, X Country rider/racer that will rip single track. I'm currently on a Tomac Special Pro.

The Federal Reserve is going to provide a bridge loan in the event I can't pay for it.

:D Couldn't resist..... anyways, what are you riding??

Joellogicman
09-17-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm in the mood for a new full suspension mountain bike after devoting the last couple of weeks to the local trails.

Santa Cruz Blur
Turner 5 Spot
Yeti AS-R
Ellsworth Truth

Probably be an XT/XTR build on hand built wheels (26") Fox shock and fork. Looking for not too much rear travel, X Country rider/racer that will rip single track. I'm currently on a Tomac Special Pro.

The Federal Reserve is going to provide a bridge loan in the event I can't pay for it.

But I am really thinking there is no good reason I should not get myself a steel frame production Jones Bike.

http://www.jonesbikes.com/production_framesets.html

zap
09-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Trek Fuel with xo and lite stuff from italy. Sub 23lbs with 2bliss tires

I love swooppy single track and the aggressive geo, even for xc, works great.

That yeti asr is sweet too.

Neves
09-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Oh I would really love a Jones space frame, but I don't think my shoulder could take the abuse.

Right now I'm riding a 29'er that I built at UBI. It's got some warts that I'm getting tired of. Currently I'm lusting after a new ride, but that's going to have to wait.

Steelhead, did you see that Turner is going the way of the DW link.

Steelhead
09-17-2008, 04:58 PM
I didn't see that on the Turner yet - just getting started. I hear good things on the DW Link, right ? Didn't Indy Fab get in on the ground floor of that deal somehow??

Chris
What's a mountain bike?

avalonracing
I'm riding a 1997 S Works M2 (which replaced the 1992 model that I cracked). It is still a cool ride and it is almost a bit retro in its red and white finery. I had it out yesterday and had a great time.
Alas it is probably time for something new and I'll probably go Ti or Steel.
Anyone got a nice 18" MTB (26" wheels please) that they want to unload. I promise to give it a good home and a long life.

gdw
09-17-2008, 04:59 PM
I switch between an old ti hardtail and a Santa Cruz Superlight. I ride 5-6 days a week and place a premium on reliability.

I'm not in the market for a new bike but might buy a Turner Flux if the price was right. The current model is pretty light and the easily maintained bushings a proven winner. Too bad it isn't offered with v brake studs for those of us who don't need disks. Next years DW link model is interesting but unproven and will be quite a bit more expensive.

Here's a link to the new 2009 models.
http://www.turnerbikes.com/09home.html

Iron Horse, Ibis, and Pivot have DW link designs but I.F. never marketed their ti version.

Larry D
09-17-2008, 05:06 PM
I ride my Legend all through the mountain roads here in VT.

Therefore, it must be a mountain bike.

mtflycaster
09-17-2008, 05:16 PM
New Titus Motolite II in da house...being built up at this moment.

Very nice.

Maybe add a Titus Racer X to your list.

MTFly

gdw
09-17-2008, 05:24 PM
The sedge covered pimple that's your tallest peak is 900ft below my house in the flatlands of Colorado. :banana:

gregclimbs
09-17-2008, 05:35 PM
I simplified my mtb life and only have a 1fg with a mtb srm on it...

g

Lincoln
09-17-2008, 05:49 PM
The sedge covered pimple that's your tallest peak is 900ft below my house in the flatlands of Colorado. :banana:

...and the Alpe d'Huez stage in the tour would barely be a workout since it is only a few hundred feet higher at 6100' :p .

Jack Brunk
09-17-2008, 05:54 PM
2008 Titus Racer X carbon FS bike
2008 Look 986 hardtail

Both rock the world

gdw
09-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Flagstaff is tougher. :D

Lincoln
09-17-2008, 06:07 PM
I bought a new mtb last year and test road a bunch of stuff (on trail, not just the parking lot). I think it comes down to personal preference. Most of them (Santa Cruz Blur LT, Rocky Mountain ETSX, Yeti 575, Scott Spark, BMC Fourstroke) were great bikes that I had nothing bad to say about. One bike however stood out for me and made me giggle both times I test rode it, it was the Specialized Stumpjumper. I don't think it is the best bike of the group, it was just the best one for me.

Read reviews and comments on the bikes but ultimately you need to test ride them. I found a bunch of shops that had demos/high end rentals and then I also bummed rides off of friends who had the bikes I was interested in.

terry
09-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Seven Sola hardtail, handbuilt wheels and not one bit of Shimano. great for fast singletrack.

Lincoln
09-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Flagstaff is tougher. :D

It's tough enough for me. But I'm under-trained and under-geared. And why "they" had to put the steepest section 3/4 of the way up is beyond me! :beer:

Of course Equinox, Whiteface and Mt. Washington are decent little rides!

TMB
09-17-2008, 06:14 PM
I have a Trek 6700 that I bought in 1995.

Hardtail and rigid fork.

I never could get used to the MTB style bars so it now has Albatross bars and bar end shifters, with friction shifters.

I like it now.

markie
09-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Rigid 29er SS for me. Fisher Ferrous.

I love the big wheels, riding small wheeled bikes feels really uncomfortable for me now. It is flat where I live, but I got to ride it in Utah earlier this year and loved it.

dnades
09-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Dekerf TeamST soft tail. Nice and light, very quick. Frame is 853 which rides real nice. My favorite bike (although my concours is catching up).

konstantkarma
09-17-2008, 08:07 PM
1996 GT Avalanche hardtail...A poor man's Zaskar.

Dekonick
09-17-2008, 08:37 PM
I want a Zanc, but right now have no mountain bike. My Surly crosscheck is as close as I have...

dauwhe
09-17-2008, 09:03 PM
I'm building up an odd one: Rawlands Sogn frame, 650B wheels (Velocity Blunt with Pacenti Quasi-Motos), Midge Bars, Disc brakes.

We'll see what it's like on trails. But I think it will be perfect for the nastier roads on D2R2.

Dave

WadePatton
09-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Steel HT with one gear and a 'zoke on the front and wideass tires.

Rody Walter made the bars.

+++++++++

I quit riding my Turner when I got the SS years back...3.1" Large o2 frame-make offer.

weatherman
09-17-2008, 09:22 PM

Santa Cruz Blur
Turner 5 Spot
Yeti AS-R
Ellsworth Truth

Why ride baby wheels? Step up and buy a 29er, best move I've made on the bike front in a long time. Moots MootoX YBB (gears), Moots MootoX (singlespeed). Pick your poison, both are awesome rides.

erector
09-17-2008, 09:48 PM
get the turner

pdmtong
09-17-2008, 09:52 PM
finally saw the masterpiece in person. the guy did it all: space frame, 29er, modified XTR crank, jones 6 speed, jones hbar, eccentric BB. it was, in a word, awesome. Me, I'm on an '08 s-works epic. the brain really works...no longer just hype. But after seeing that Jones, I knew it was time to just pack up and go home and accept my place on the food chain.

mavic1010
09-17-2008, 09:59 PM
ottrott xc

andy mac
09-17-2008, 10:20 PM
i ride a 2000 specialized m4.

recently i test rode the santa cruz and ellsworth - the latter put a massive smile on my face and will be my next ride*

:beer:

andy

*economy willing

benb
09-17-2008, 10:22 PM
Franken NRS.

Giant NRS frame (2002?) - Don't even know.. bought it hanging from the rack in an LBS.. it is a weird frame, it has both disc & V-brake mounts, which was rare for the NRS
Marzocchi MX Comp Coil fork (coils don't pop, love this fork)
Sid XC shock (starting to worry it needs to be rebuilt)
X.0 Shifters, rear der
LX front der.
XT (9-speed) cranks & BB
Hayes Hydraulic discs (not sure which ones HFX, they're not current)
Crossmax XL wheels
Hutchinson Scorpion tubeless 26x1.95.
Thomson seatpost, Bontrager Stem, Profile bars!

I don't know what it weighs, a lot more then some NRSes.. but I went through the weight thing before and it doesn't make the bike faster in New England.. we don't have monstrous climbs (and I climb well), and it's faster to be able to get through the constant rocks & roots with a bit more beefed up stuff IMO. I have probably steadily added weight to this bike since the initial build. It originally had XT integrated shifter/brakes and V-brakes. The discs may weigh more but the bike is much faster with the hydraulic discs.

They told me the crossmaxes were tough.. they need work.. drive side spokes seem to be pinging under high loads.

It is all I've been riding lately, my Serotta is sitting waiting one last part (right shifter) before it starts wearing Shimano instead of SRAM.

When I have money it'd be great to crack the frame. It's a friggin noodle. Can't sprint in the top gear (46x11) without the bike bending enough to cause chainrub. But the suspension design has worked for me.

Peter B
09-17-2008, 11:30 PM
IF ti Deluxe SS and Ibis Silk ti. Love 'em both!

Jack Brunk
09-17-2008, 11:37 PM
Leave it to Peter to rock the world. Outstanding my friend!

-dustin
09-17-2008, 11:38 PM
http://www.pbase.com/inbred/image/92930495/large.jpg

Blue Jays
09-18-2008, 01:04 AM
Titus MotoLite II
Chris King headset
Shimano XTR components + XTR wheelset
SRAM X0 rear derailleur + triggers
Magura Marta SL brakes
Fox Float RP23 rear
Fox TALAS RLC 32 front
Kenda Nevegal tires

Steve in SLO
09-18-2008, 01:31 AM
Moots YBB--great Ti with 1"+ of rear suspension to take the sting out of the bumps for my aging back.

Specialized M2 Team Edition early 90s with carbon fiber Future Shock--still a great ride.

Dave B
09-18-2008, 02:22 AM
IF steel D

Never get's used, but sits in the garage.

always on the cross bike.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k240/dnjbradley/Independent%20Fabrication/100_0760.jpg

TMB
09-18-2008, 02:52 AM
IF steel D

Never get's used, but sits in the garage.

always on the cross bike.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k240/dnjbradley/Independent%20Fabrication/100_0760.jpg

I'm not really a mountain bike guy, and I too tend to the 'cross bike, but that is a very handsome piece of machinery.

chuckred
09-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Kokopelli - the pre-curser of the 575, but with less travel and heavier.

It's been a great bike and my next MTB will almost certainly be another Yeti - probably the AS-R alloy. Saw an AS-R c (carbon) in stealth black. Very nice looking, but I have my doubts about a seat masted mountain bike. Not that I ever actually lower my seat, but it's nice to know that I can if I have to (not to mention, it makes it much easier to stand the bike up in the back of the Jeep).

No doubt any of the models you listed will serve you well!

Kirk Pacenti
09-18-2008, 10:21 AM
This is all I ride now... my 650B Ventana El Bastardo. I'm completely smitten and my other bikes are starting o get jealous!

pdmtong
09-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Yes! We have an El Conquistador de Montanas and the bike absolutley pegs the fun meter

crossjunkee
09-18-2008, 11:49 AM

Santa Cruz Blur
Turner 5 Spot
Yeti AS-R
Ellsworth Truth

Your list is my list too. They all ride different, and I leaned toward the ASR. Ultimately, I keep going back to my Moots YBB. This picture is from last April in Moab before I upgraded to disc brakes. The bike handles great now with a new wheelset, and new brakes. I'm going to keep it.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa110/velosprocket/IMG_1615.jpg

gdw
09-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Was that picture taken west of town? It looks like the area near Amassa Rock on the way to Hurrah Pass.

xjoex
09-18-2008, 12:22 PM
I have a 2003 Klein Palomino Race with the Maverick linkage upgrade.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/boulderjoe/riding/bike-on-roof.jpg

I am thinking of replacing it with a ti hardtail though... just to try it out again.

-Joe

bumperjohn
09-18-2008, 12:22 PM
I have been riding my Ibis Mojo with a full XT build and I love it. It is so nice I think I am a better rider on it than I really and as a result I have broken some ribs and partially deflated a lung last as a result of my over confidence. I still love it!

John

crossjunkee
09-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Was that picture taken west of town? It looks like the area near Amassa Rock on the way to Hurrah Pass.

Yip, you're exactly right!

ejh
09-18-2008, 02:56 PM
S-Works carbon stumpjumper w/ XT& XTR drivetrain, XTR tubeless wheels. Fox TALAS fork. and if I can ever figure out how to post pictures I post it.

weaponsgrade
09-18-2008, 02:59 PM
I have a 95/96 steel Ibis Mojo with '07 xtr trimmings. Want to get a 650b though.

SadieKate
09-18-2008, 03:10 PM
Depending on my mood and the terrain, a Litespeed Unicoi, Titus Racer X or a Marin Mt Vision. The latter has been tweaked into more of a freeride bike . . . :p

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/SadieKate/Still%20Life%20Series/Sarah_StillLifeNo4_Sue.jpg

Ti-Boy
09-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Riding may be too active a word for me these days, but I "ride" a Moots Smoothie, xt, Fox, Avid mech. brakes, Thompson stem and post. Mavic Tubeless.

link
09-18-2008, 06:06 PM
Seven Sola Ti built around a 650b format and an Ellsworth Epiphany.

For a fully I like horst link more than dw-link or unified. I'm partial to the 5" travel format for a full suspension. I like these a lot: Ventana X5, Moots Cinco, Titus Motolite and Ellsworth Epiphany. I'd add Turner too, but they're moving from their version of Horst to DW ...as was mentioned above.

Neves
09-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Kirk, that's one sweet ride. Did you ever make that move out west. How's the terrain out there vs. Tenn.

pdbrye
09-18-2008, 07:07 PM
I love my Blur...the bike's capabilities are still way greater then my mtb skills. ;) I've heard good things about the Ibis Mojo.

moodster
09-18-2008, 07:13 PM
right now i am on my 3rd titus all have been rx100 from titus this my 2nd ti and first 29er of the rx's. Also have a cove g spot and an IF ss 29er. My wife has a santa cruz julianna and a yeti ti arc.
We love em all!

JumpStart
09-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Yo moodster...impressive stable of rides!

And clean too.

don'TreadOnMe
09-18-2008, 07:26 PM
3 yr. old Waltworks custom f/f.
I'm liking the new dw-link Turners though...might have to get one.

texbike
09-18-2008, 07:37 PM
I have a 2001 K2 Razorback SL. It's a great bike and has recently been freshened up. However, I can count on one hand the number of times it's been ridden in the past two years.

A bit of a shame really, but with the time constraints of two young kiddos and work, I choose to spend my available bike time on the road bikes.

Texbike

moodster
09-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Yo moodster...impressive stable of rides!

And clean too.

have to clean them up for the family foto's!

jvp
09-18-2008, 07:47 PM
I haven't caught the high-end mtn. bike bug, so mine is an '06 Raleigh Ram 3 I bought for $650 new. It's a little portly at ~31lbs. but it has a nice radium rear shock, black front shock, lx components, bb7 disc brakes, and rides very plush. Eventually I hope to trade it for a lighter singlespeed hardtail w/ front shock, which would suit my style of riding more I think.

amigsinchi
09-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Niner! E.M.D.

toaster
09-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Ellsworth Isis

Giant MCM carbon hardtail

Gary Fisher Rig 29'er hardtail

Kirk Pacenti
09-19-2008, 07:38 AM
Kirk, that's one sweet ride. Did you ever make that move out west. How's the terrain out there vs. Tenn.

Thanks, it's the most fun I've had on an MTB in a while. Big(er) wheels, tight geometry and 5+ inches of travel add up to one sublime ride.

We're still trying... you may have heard it's a pretty tough time to sell a house right now. The new VW factory is being built 3 miles from my front door, so we're hoping that will impact home sales here in a positive way.

There are some big differences between the trails here in the east and the left coast. A typical generalization is: east cost = very rocky, rooty and technical terrain, west cost is less so. I have spent a lot of time in both places and imo they are both a lot of fun just different. I do prefer riding in the PNW to most other places though.

Cheers,

KP

rockdude
09-19-2008, 09:21 AM
At the start of the summer I had a;

Litespeed Obed HT
Turner O2
Ellsworth Truth
Yeti ARS-SL
Titus Motolite
Moots Cinco

All are good bikes and each excels in different areas but the Moots is a stand out for me with the different types of riding I do. Plus its Ti and its a Moots.

Today It down to the Moots Cinco and Litespeed Obed. Still have the Titus Motolite frameset but is for sale. The Titus and the Moots are very simular rides.

weaponsgrade
09-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Seven Sola Ti built around a 650b format and an Ellsworth Epiphany.

For a fully I like horst link more than dw-link or unified. I'm partial to the 5" travel format for a full suspension. I like these a lot: Ventana X5, Moots Cinco, Titus Motolite and Ellsworth Epiphany. I'd add Turner too, but they're moving from their version of Horst to DW ...as was mentioned above.

how do you like the 650b wheels compared to the 26"?

mwaldhopkins
09-19-2008, 07:07 PM
If you are a big(ger) fella, have you considered going 29er? I made the switch a couple of years ago and will never go back.

XL RIP9- the best trail bike I've ever ridden
XLJET9- to be built up with RIP9 parts- makes me sad.... but also happy.
Dean Colonel 29er

mattykhz
09-21-2008, 05:35 AM
1993 Manitou FS
1998 Manitou FS
1997 Proflex 957

Will probably try and upgrade the later 2 with Risse or whatever is compatible these days shocks to replace the standard Bazooka and Noleen units.

pdonk
09-21-2008, 07:37 AM
21 inch Dekerf Team SL

I bought it in 1997 and it has been my only mountain bike since then.

Build

Syncros Crank, Stem, BB
Thomosopn Seat Post
Mostly XTR
1990 Mavic MTB front hub, it just won't die

link
09-21-2008, 09:56 AM
how do you like the 650b wheels compared to the 26"?

I'm going to let you know very soon.

beungood
09-21-2008, 11:09 AM
found this site last night,Shamrock Cycles . Steel FS Cst 650B $1400.

alancw3
09-21-2008, 12:21 PM
funny, i have been recently thinking of buying another mountain bike. based on my research i have been leaning towards a maverick ml8. check it out.

http://www.maverickbike.com/main/do/products/productID/4

DRZRM
09-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Love my Moots YBB, always have always will (it's ten years old but has been back to the factory for a rear end suspension replacement recently). I think there's a link at the bottom of my sig. I love this bike. Perfect for fast XC.

billrick
09-22-2008, 07:52 AM
I've been riding my 650B Surly 1x1 for about 4 months now and it is the real deal. I'm not going to debate any rabid 29er fans on the 'net over this, but it is better. Y'all might have seen my IF 29er in the classifieds. Someone buy it so I can get my custom 650B!

The 650B wheels really seem to "average out" the characteristics of the 29er and 26 inch wheels. To me, the 650B 1x1 feels snappy and agile like like the 26 inch version but I seem to be less endo prone as I roll into drops, I get better traction, and the wheels carry more momentum like a 29er.

When I was riding 26 inch wheels, I always felt like they were slowing down as soon as I stopped pedaling. The 29ers didn't do that and seemed to just roll forever once they finally got up to speed. The 650B wheels get up to speed faster than the 29er wheels and then carry momentum after I left off the gas. Really, it is surprising for me given that the % difference in wheel size is fairly small. I don't know if it is true, but a friend recently told me that centrifigal forces increase exponentially with diameter. Even if it isn't true, it is a good way to explain the perceived difference in the wheels.

Also, like the 29er, the 650B seems to absorb the bumps and trail chatter better than a 26 inch wheel. I've been running my 1x1 rigid and really see no reason to add a suspension fork any time soon.

:)

SimonC
09-22-2008, 04:04 PM
I've got a Seven Sola Ti w/ old XTR M950 and King/717 wheels and a pair of RS Recon forks. What was more or less my dream bike for a number of years, it's just a shame I don't get to ride it more due to the time it takes to drive to some decent riding.

flickwet
09-23-2008, 10:40 AM
I've been riding my 650B Surly 1x1 for about 4 months now and it is the real deal. I'm not going to debate any rabid 29er fans on the 'net over this, but it is better. Y'all might have seen my IF 29er in the classifieds. Someone buy it so I can get my custom 650B!

The 650B wheels really seem to "average out" the characteristics of the 29er and 26 inch wheels. To me, the 650B 1x1 feels snappy and agile like like the 26 inch version but I seem to be less endo prone as I roll into drops, I get better traction, and the wheels carry more momentum like a 29er.

When I was riding 26 inch wheels, I always felt like they were slowing down as soon as I stopped pedaling. The 29ers didn't do that and seemed to just roll forever once they finally got up to speed. The 650B wheels get up to speed faster than the 29er wheels and then carry momentum after I left off the gas. Really, it is surprising for me given that the % difference in wheel size is fairly small. I don't know if it is true, but a friend recently told me that centrifigal forces increase exponentially with diameter. Even if it isn't true, it is a good way to explain the perceived difference in the wheels.

Also, like the 29er, the 650B seems to absorb the bumps and trail chatter better than a 26 inch wheel. I've been running my 1x1 rigid and really see no reason to add a suspension fork any time soon.

:)
That's an interesting take, I've got a 1x1 with 2.5 mutanorapturs and I Effin love it. No suspension but rides like butta on our NE Ohio single track, Been thinkin Karate Monkey but I'm happy, I wonder if there is really much dia diff with my big fat tires vs 650B's

Steelhead
09-23-2008, 10:43 AM
At the start of the summer I had a;

Litespeed Obed HT
Turner O2
Ellsworth Truth
Yeti ARS-SL
Titus Motolite
Moots Cinco

All are good bikes and each excels in different areas but the Moots is a stand out for me with the different types of riding I do. Plus its Ti and its a Moots.

Today It down to the Moots Cinco and Litespeed Obed. Still have the Titus Motolite frameset but is for sale. The Titus and the Moots are very simular rides.

Dang... Are you married and if so how do you pull off such an impressive stable of mountain bikes? :) :D

rockdude
09-23-2008, 11:10 AM
I am an addict. I tell my wife that I am making a profit when I sale. She will never know the truth.

Dang... Are you married and if so how do you pull off such an impressive stable of mountain bikes? :) :D

bluesea
09-23-2008, 02:51 PM
I'm in the planning stages for a SS MTB, not for mountain riding (bad knees) but for riding around town and commuting to the friday evening 19th hole. Thinking Retrotec for visual flash, or if I go with a Surley 1x1, maybe with King hubs for auditory excitement.

flickwet
10-01-2008, 01:22 PM
I've got the King on the front w/disc and the Surly hub rear with white bros two speed I run a 34/16 and a 32/18 dual sprocket setup, one for road and path and one for single track and snow. Planet bike fenders, noisy but effective. It is the most fun bike I have and the ultimate winter bike.

DonH
10-01-2008, 01:47 PM
These 2 IF's are mine. Both were custom made for me in 2004 and share identical geometry. I ride the blue one usually. Im not a great rider, but sincerely feel the custom fit helps me handle the rocky, tight trails here in CT.
These bikes are keepers.

I have the itch for a Santa Cruz Blur XC though. Rode one a while back and really liked it. Regardless, I love my two IF's.

gdw
10-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Are you running Suntour thumbshifters with Shimano derailleurs like the old Kona's?

Steelhead
10-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Dang - TWO I. Fs... !! IN THE SAME YEAR AND THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE FORK :banana:

I really want to know if you are married and if to what your secret is.

:crap: :D

DonH
10-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Are you running Suntour thumbshifters with Shimano derailleurs like the old Kona's?
Yes, although I just switched the blue bike to SRAM XO 9 speed shifters,rear der. and an XT cassette. The green bike is still set up as shown w/Suntour shifters.
The Suntour 8 speed XC Pro thumbshifters work well with an XTR 9 speed rear der. and an XT 8 speed cassette. The cable tension needed minor adjusting once or twice, but other than that its great.

DonH
10-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Dang - TWO I. Fs... !! IN THE SAME YEAR AND THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE FORK :banana:

I really want to know if you are married and if to what your secret is.

:crap: :D

2004 was a very good year for me.....there was also another purchase that I don't want to mention :)
Im married, but my wife is very understanding when it come to my bike obsession. Bikes make me happy and she likes it when im happy. As long as I can pay the bills and take good care of her and my son, im pretty free to buy whatever I want (within reason).

jchasse
10-02-2008, 09:09 AM
I can't say enough great things about my Ventana El Saltamontes. It's almost 10 yrs old, still has old-shool bushings at the suspension pivots, V-Brakes, and the original fork and rear shock.

I rented a brand new Trek Fuel FS bike in Durango while waiting for my bikes to arrive (don't know what model, but it had a ~$3,600 price tag). After riding that bike for a weekend then geting back on my old rig, i wouldn't give up the Ventana for a baker's dozen of the Treks. (And i hadn't been on any mountain bike for 6 years...the Trek was actually my first ride in that long, so it wasn't simply a matter of familiarity. I sucked on both bikes. Just felt like I sucked a lot less on the Ventana)

Sherwood (Ventana owner / builder) makes a great bike.

All just my opinion, of course. YMMV considerably.

T-Crush
10-02-2008, 11:53 AM
I've ridden a lot of scoots, including well executed versions of all the currently available suspensions designs, but I keep coming back to my BMC Fourstroke 03. While fireroad days and rides where I need to keep up with the local fast dudes (you know who you are) may cause me to bring out the Zaskar LE, the BMC remains my favorite day in, day out MTB.

Steelhead
10-02-2008, 01:48 PM
I can't say enough great things about my Ventana El Saltamontes. It's almost 10 yrs old, still has old-shool bushings at the suspension pivots, V-Brakes, and the original fork and rear shock.

I rented a brand new Trek Fuel FS bike in Durango while waiting for my bikes to arrive (don't know what model, but it had a ~$3,600 price tag). After riding that bike for a weekend then geting back on my old rig, i wouldn't give up the Ventana for a baker's dozen of the Treks. (And i hadn't been on any mountain bike for 6 years...the Trek was actually my first ride in that long, so it wasn't simply a matter of familiarity. I sucked on both bikes. Just felt like I sucked a lot less on the Ventana)

Sherwood (Ventana owner / builder) makes a great bike.

All just my opinion, of course. YMMV considerably.

I would like to try a Ventana - you always hear good things. And they seem to be old school classy yet modern !

DarkStar
10-02-2008, 03:49 PM
'91 Yeti FRO, no plans to get something newer.

kipjac
10-03-2008, 02:29 PM

Santa Cruz Blur
Turner 5 Spot
Yeti AS-R
Ellsworth Truth

I ride (infrequently) a 1994 Litespeed Obed with Shimano Deore cantis and SRAM XRAY shifters. Yes, all this equipment is terribly outdated, but believe it or not, all the components are original. It's obvious that I don't ride the thing all that much...maybe 3 or 4 times a year; I'm too busy enjoying the Crumpton SL out on the roads.