PDA

View Full Version : OT Favorite song of all time

rounder
09-16-2008, 09:29 PM
I was watching the 2007 Crossroads concert on tv...and saw my favorite song of all time...can't find my way home. Anyway, that's mine...what's yours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT-SFgkVlno

bironi
09-17-2008, 12:19 AM
but I can't say what song is mine ........ Too many choices, and I just get lost, and I can't find my favorite song, no, I can't find my favorite song. :beer:

Blue Jays
09-17-2008, 12:23 AM
Judas Priest...pick any song!

93legendti
09-17-2008, 06:14 AM
but I can't say what song is mine ........ Too many choices, and I just get lost, and I can't find my favorite song, no, I can't find my favorite song. :beer:
I'm with Byron...too many chocies, too little time...I do like a lot of EC's slower songs, Zep, Allman Bros., etc.

93legendti
09-17-2008, 06:16 AM
Judas Priest...pick any song!
I always liked Evening Star.

keno
09-17-2008, 06:17 AM
Joe Walsh and The James Gang version

keno

Ray
09-17-2008, 06:24 AM
WAAAAAAAAAY too many great songs to pick a favorite song. I can barely pick a favorite artist or album, how am I supposed to pick a favorite SONG?

Keno, Life's Been Good was well after the end of the James Gang. Eagles era Joe Walsh - but I'm not sure if it was originally a Walsh song or Eagles song. Funny stuff though - must be good to be a rock star.

-Ray

whitecda
09-17-2008, 06:29 AM
Keep on Rollin' -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ld0sFrmPo0&feature=related

Also one of the of the best album titles of all time: "You can tune a piano, but you can't Tuna fish"

Tom
09-17-2008, 06:41 AM
"Pancho needs your prayers, it's true
but save a few for Lefty too.
He only did what he had to do
and now, he's growing old."

tuscanyswe
09-17-2008, 06:47 AM
I got way to many fav songs to narrow down to one aswell.

emotional: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds05Cq0zEtg gipsy kings

kinda of a big leap to another song i find myself listening too,
alltho i have a hard time admiting it! But when its late and im working on my bike, dollys 9-5 gets me going for while. Good energy :banana:

don'TreadOnMe
09-17-2008, 06:48 AM
"Soon"
My Bloody Valentine

yodelinpol
09-17-2008, 06:55 AM
I can't say a favorite song of all time, but I'm glad someone said a Townes Van Zandt song was their favorite. He was one of the greatest songwriters ever IMO. He is up there with Randy Newman and Bob Dylan. I don't use the word 'genius' very often when talking about music (unless we are talking about Ray Charles) but Townes was scary to other songwriters. Alot of them are very famous too and cover his tunes and will for along time. Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Steve Earle, Waylon Jennings and it seems every other maverick writer from Texas and Tennessee... BTW..He was actually in the Pancho and Lefty video.

Sorry for the tangent...

William
09-17-2008, 07:12 AM
Ditto,

Too many to list and it would depend on my mood at the time as well.

William

rounder
09-17-2008, 08:16 AM

haha

konstantkarma
09-17-2008, 12:06 PM
I can't say a favorite song of all time, but I'm glad someone said a Townes Van Zandt song was their favorite. He was one of the greatest songwriters ever IMO. He is up there with Randy Newman and Bob Dylan. I don't use the word 'genius' very often when talking about music (unless we are talking about Ray Charles) but Townes was scary to other songwriters. Alot of them are very famous too and cover his tunes and will for along time. Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Steve Earle, Waylon Jennings and it seems every other maverick writer from Texas and Tennessee... BTW..He was actually in the Pancho and Lefty video.

Sorry for the tangent...

+1 on Townes....To Live is to Fly......I really like the Cowboy Junkies cover of that Townes song.

goonster
09-17-2008, 12:22 PM
"Soon"
My Bloody Valentine

You are my friend. :beer:

dauwhe
09-17-2008, 01:00 PM
How about a baker's dozen?:

"If You Like" from Devil's Paradise by the Gerry Hemingway Quartet

"That The Peace" from Alive in the House of Saints by the Myra Melford Trio

"Parallel Worlds" from Parallel Worlds by Dave Douglas

"Moanin'" from Blues and Roots by Charles Mingus

"100 Year Game" from Makin' a Move by Henry Threadgill

"Conference of the Birds" from Conference of the Birds by Dave Holland

"Beach Balls" from Kid's Mysteries by Sean Bergin and MOB

"Dauwhe" from Dauwhe by the John Carter Octet

"The Hunt" from 8 Bold Souls by 8 Bold Souls

"Odin" from Bering by the Michael Moore Trio

"Misterioso" from "That's The Way I Feel Now" (written by Thelonious Monk, arranged and performed by Carla Bley)

"Emrem" from "Why I Like Coffee" by Bob Nell

"Der Abscheid" from "Urlicht/Primal Light" by Uri Caine

rounder
09-17-2008, 01:33 PM

Sorry for the tangent...

I liked Townes Van Zandt too. He was a great singer and songwriter and his songs don't go out of style. I found this a while ago...it is a good interview and version of If I Needed You.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YdRHIKM9YE

SneakyFast1
09-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Oh, wrong answer.

My favorite song of all time? "Alison" by Elvis Costello. So good my daughter's name is Alison.

Douglas

slowgoing
09-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Kung fu fighting.

Now try to get that one out of your head.

jimp1234
09-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Agree too many to mention, and i guess I'm getting too old cause I don't recognize a lot of the artists mentioned, but here's a snippet from one of my favs from Leonard Cohen.

The ponies run, the girls are young,
The odds are there to beat.
You win a while, and then it’s done –
Your little winning streak.
And summoned now to deal
With your invincible defeat,
You live your life as if it’s real,
A Thousand Kisses Deep.
I’m turning tricks, I’m getting fixed,
I’m back on Boogie Street.
You lose your grip, and then you slip
Into the Masterpiece.
And maybe I had miles to drive,
And promises to keep:
You ditch it all to stay alive,
A Thousand Kisses Deep.

yarg
09-17-2008, 02:43 PM
I love lots of different music but my favorite must be the only song I made a concerted effort to memorize the words;

Boots of Spanish Leather - Dylan

jspa
09-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Jerry was a race car driver!

TMB
09-17-2008, 02:49 PM
Redwood Tree

Van Morrison

Joellogicman
09-17-2008, 03:05 PM
How about a baker's dozen?:

"If You Like" from Devil's Paradise by the Gerry Hemingway Quartet

"That The Peace" from Alive in the House of Saints by the Myra Melford Trio

"Parallel Worlds" from Parallel Worlds by Dave Douglas

"Moanin'" from Blues and Roots by Charles Mingus

"100 Year Game" from Makin' a Move by Henry Threadgill

"Conference of the Birds" from Conference of the Birds by Dave Holland

"Beach Balls" from Kid's Mysteries by Sean Bergin and MOB

"Dauwhe" from Dauwhe by the John Carter Octet

"The Hunt" from 8 Bold Souls by 8 Bold Souls

"Odin" from Bering by the Michael Moore Trio

"Misterioso" from "That's The Way I Feel Now" (written by Thelonious Monk, arranged and performed by Carla Bley)

"Emrem" from "Why I Like Coffee" by Bob Nell

"Der Abscheid" from "Urlicht/Primal Light" by Uri Caine

Mingus, Monk and Uri Caine. Lovely.

To your point, and responding to the OP, at risk of sounding the curmedgeon, the whole concept of having a favorite song exists mainly in the world of pop and mP3 players.

Jazz and classic do not lend themselves well to having a favorite song. A fan can prefer a genre perhaps. Or a performer or conductor. In jazz, for instance, take a song like 'My Funny Valentine.' Chet Baker, Miles Davis and Bill Evans among others recorded it multiple times. Each version is different.

Classical even more so. There are so many intangibles. One can have a favorite recording or recall a favorite performance. For instance I attended a remarkable performance of Sibelius' 6th by the London Symphony Orchestra. However the recordings I have of that piece are plodding and tedius on my apartment system.

Jeff N.
09-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Light My Fire-Doors
Gimme Shelter-Stones
Free Bird-Skynard
No Quarter-Zep Jeff N.

rounder
09-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Mingus, Monk and Uri Caine. Lovely.

To your point, and responding to the OP, at risk of sounding the curmedgeon, the whole concept of having a favorite song exists mainly in the world of pop and mP3 players.

Jazz and classic do not lend themselves well to having a favorite song. A fan can prefer a genre perhaps. Or a performer or conductor. In jazz, for instance, take a song like 'My Funny Valentine.' Chet Baker, Miles Davis and Bill Evans among others recorded it multiple times. Each version is different.

Classical even more so. There are so many intangibles. One can have a favorite recording or recall a favorite performance. For instance I attended a remarkable performance of Sibelius' 6th by the London Symphony Orchestra. However the recordings I have of that piece are plodding and tedius on my apartment system.

I hear what you are saying Joellogicman, but genre and whether the song even has words doesn't matter to me. You like what you like. I have lots of favorite songs and artists in different genres, and plan to listen to a lot of stuff that is posted here just to hear something new that others like.

Joellogicman
09-17-2008, 03:43 PM
I hear what you are saying Joellogicman, but genre and whether the song even has words doesn't matter to me. You like what you like. I have lots of favorite songs and artists in different genres, and plan to listen to a lot of stuff that is posted here just to hear something new that others like.

I certainly intend on looking up some of the artists on Dauwhe's list.

Stealth
09-17-2008, 03:47 PM
" A love Supreme" by Coltrane
Abbey Road "Medley" by Beatles
Allman Brothers Any cut from Fillmore East

PBWrench
09-17-2008, 06:23 PM
God - John Winston Lennon
I am Yours - Derek and the Dominoes
Idiot Wind - Robert Zimmerman

Dekonick
09-17-2008, 08:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP7zBdxe0jQ

RIP Rick Wright :(

Listen carefully @ 3:35 into the song....

wc1934
09-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Ripple by the Dead
Amazing Grace

Kurt
09-17-2008, 09:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP7zBdxe0jQ

RIP Rick Wright :(

Listen carefully @ 3:35 into the song....

if you are a fan look what is coming to a town near you.
http://www.aussiefloyd.com/
best thing going, might be better than the real deal - they are much more together than any pf show I have seen.

rwsaunders
09-17-2008, 09:21 PM
I've seen the Stones and Bruce sing this song, as well as countless other bands over the years. It always struck me as a great encore song....Twist and Shout by the Isley Brothers. Lennon claimed that the song ruined his voice and that it was made for Springsteen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPivnegGtgg&feature=related

rounder
09-17-2008, 09:40 PM
That was great...loved twist and shout. Thanks.

WadePatton
09-17-2008, 09:45 PM

Me three, but here's a couple:

Folk Song-Bongwater

Johnny Smokes-Butthole Surfers

Sultans of Swing-Dire Straits

there are more.

Dekonick
09-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Dire straights...yeah baby. GOtta love them - unique guitar.

There are too many songs to pick just one. Floyd is still one of my top of all time - especially great gig in the sky, shine on you crazy diamond, and See Emily play.

Dekonick
09-18-2008, 08:51 AM
if you are a fan look what is coming to a town near you.
http://www.aussiefloyd.com/
best thing going, might be better than the real deal - they are much more together than any pf show I have seen.

Another tribute Floyd band - Several Species. Haven't seen them, but I hear they do a good job.

yodelinpol
09-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Me three, but here's a couple:

Folk Song-Bongwater

Johnny Smokes-Butthole Surfers

Sultans of Swing-Dire Straits

there are more.

"Johny P Smoke...Stood Ten Feet Tall With a Knife!!!"

The Surfers ruled. They were scary live. I was afraid for my life... I never met a band that could mess with an audience more than them... well, then again i wasn't always in my right mind when I saw them...

_King Koffee