PDA

View Full Version : OT: Rowing pain

paczki
09-16-2008, 09:06 PM
I love the rowing machine, and it seems to really help with my cycling. My routine is to do pyramids -- 250 hard, 250 easy, 500/500, 750/750. 1000/1000 and then back down. The main problem I have is that when I get up to the first 750 I get an incredible pain in the butt. If I shorten my stroke, it hurts less, but it's bad enough that I have to stop and shake out my legs to row any more. Any suggestions? I've tried sitting on a towel but this doesn't help much.

Louis
09-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Try doing a search on the Concept II forum. They have lots of info there.

paczki
09-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks! I figured I wasn't unique.

CaptStash
09-16-2008, 09:30 PM
That used to happen to me at the end of races. Learned I had to warm up better and improved my catch position aqnd speed. Rowing is far more technical than you might realize (think golf). The best thing for you would be to find a quality rower (preferably a coach) who can get a look at you. My suspicion is that you aren't in the proper position at the catch (like me), but it's hard to say if I haven't see you row.

CaptStash....

paczki
09-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks. I'm sure you're right. All my knowledge of technique is from the "Oarsome Foursome" on the Concept2 DVD. I realized I was extending too far on the catch and that's part of where the pain was coming from.

erector
09-16-2008, 11:36 PM
The problem that you feel in your butt is because of a nerve that goes down your leg from your spine, and although the pain may go away, it's caused by a more serious problem with technique. don't lean too far forward at the catch, make sure to keep your back as straight as possible. Also stretch out those legs like a crazy person. And don't turn your pelvis inward/upward at the catch, even if it gets you more reach, the back needs to be straight and the pelvis needs to be in the same line.

CaptStash
09-17-2008, 09:40 AM
The problem that you feel in your butt is because of a nerve that goes down your leg from your spine, and although the pain may go away, it's caused by a more serious problem with technique. don't lean too far forward at the catch, make sure to keep your back as straight as possible. Also stretch out those legs like a crazy person. And don't turn your pelvis inward/upward at the catch, even if it gets you more reach, the back needs to be straight and the pelvis needs to be in the same line.

What he said....

Viper
09-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Don't label your back as bad. Too many say, "I have a bad back", no! You have a great back which needs work.

“Once you label me, you negate me”
~Soren Kierkegaard

PS. Was Kierkegaard in Back to the Future?

PSS: http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/stretching-back-pain-relief

Those are really thorough, as he points out that you have to start with the neck and work your way down the ladder. If you ever want to see how poor your posture might be, stand against a wall, heels, butt, shoulder blades, back of head with head level...I'll bet you'll bug out after a minute as muscles twitch.

I'd add a Cat/Camel, look at the difference in range of motions:

http://www.pponline.co.uk/node/38234

:beer:

paczki
09-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Straighter back on the catch helped. Still some pain, but not unbearable. Thanks all!