PDA

View Full Version : Folding Bikes , any experiances - Duhon and Friday

Smiley
10-31-2004, 04:49 PM
Looking for feedback on anybody that has ridden or ridden with a person that has one of these. Curious of the ride and handling of these interesting folding bikes .

93legendti
10-31-2004, 05:05 PM
Sorry, no experience with those, but I have a Slingshot folding bike. They make them w/ 650 c wheels. Mine has 650c, but they aren't made this way anymore. Very cool, heavy, but climbs amazingly!! I have taken mine to Spain and Coloardo for bike trips.

gasman
10-31-2004, 05:45 PM
made right here in little ole Eugene, Oregon. I have ridden one and when properly adjusted they feel very similar to a full sized road bike on the flats. They climb really well and feel faster than a fullsized bike but descending they make you pay attention a little more. Since the wheels are smaller they do not develop the same gyroscopic effect of 700c wheels, at least I assume that is why they feel different. If I travelled more I would buy one in an instant, but I cannot justify the expense. Their brochure has photo and quote from Phil Ligget, he apparently loves his Bike Friday.

Bill Bove
10-31-2004, 05:53 PM
Lots of boat people down here use Dahons. I'm not crazy about them but they work well enough to get from the marina to the store, I wouldn't want one for a performance bike.
An old girlfriend who is a flight attendent had a Friday, what a pain in the azz. I can pack and unpack my regular bike in the same amount of time. But I did not do it often enough to become proficient at it.

ols
10-31-2004, 08:42 PM
I've had a Friday Air Glide as a travel bike (beam suspension and softride stem) for about 3 years. It's pretty good indeed up to 20mph and then somewhat squirelly beyond that. Still, I rode it from San Diego to Phoenix pulling a Bob trailer. I also did the Markleeville Deathride on it this past year. (Its got a triple with huuuge chainrings to make up for the little wheels.) Tires wear out faster since they're turning more often. I've also completely somersaulted on a downhill panic stop. (Potholes are to be avoided at all costs!) Overall though, the convenience of having a suitcasable bike is great IMHO. Nevertheless, the Friday will likely be going onto eBay at some point in the near future, now that I finally got a full size wheeled bike with S&S. 700c with S&S is much more better!

Smiley
10-31-2004, 09:13 PM
Thanks OLS , my suspected fears are exactly as you say , MORE opinions please . Thanks

FierteTi52
10-31-2004, 09:27 PM
I don't have any actual experience with the Airnimal folder, but it looks to be very nice. 24" wheels and rear suspension. Built in the UK although there is a dealer in the US. Calhoun Cycles has a few they are closing out.

www.calhouncycle.com/folders/airnimal.html
www.Airnimal.com

Random
10-31-2004, 10:44 PM
I ride a Legend most of the time, but whenever I travel I bring an Air Friday. I find the ride truly impressive. Its dimensions are almost identical to my Legend and it rides like a big wheel bike with a few exceptions. First, because of the small wheels it actually climbs and accelerates better. Second, over about 25 mphs it is a tad slower because the wheels do not build up the equivalent momentum. Third, it can oversteer a bit on the descents, but I found I quickly adjusted and actually enjoy the sharpness on many tight curves. It packs in about 15 minutes when you get the knack of it and because it is so easy to lug around you can bring it anywhere. I have ridden it in the Pyraneese, across Bhutan (where many big bikes sufferred a lot more) and even took it to the Lon Halderman Desert Camp in Southern Ariz. last year. Lon has one as well. The group was largely Fridays that week and I was truly struck by how the bikes performed. Lon remarked that in his more than a decade of running these camps 4 or 5 times a year he didn't think there had been a quicker group. To top it off, the Bike Friday Customer Service is the best I have ever found for any product. I highly recommend them.

FierteTi52
11-01-2004, 06:17 AM
[QUOTE=Random]I ride a Legend most of the time, but whenever I travel I bring an Air Friday.

I was wondering is the Airfriday's frame is stiff enough. It's design lacks triangulation of the other models because of the beam design. Do you find the bike flexes in the bb?
Jeff

dnovo
11-01-2004, 06:22 AM
I own an Airnimal and can't say enough good things about it. We bought it to take with us on the boating vacations. I also take it with me when I am 'riding circuit' down to our state capital for extended arguments for a few days or to other courts which are driving distance but require overnight stays. The twin 24" wheels and the overall design make for performance and handling not far off of a 'normal' road bike. Had it for three years now and use it a lot. Dave N.

Ken Lehner
11-01-2004, 06:24 AM
A friend of mine did the National 24 hour race in Michigan a few years ago on a Bike Friday. He did, I believe, 445 miles and took second overall that year.

Random
11-01-2004, 10:30 AM
The Ti Beam on the Air Friday is designed to compensate in part for the harshness of the small wheels, something it does very well. (BTW, those small wheels are bullet proof as my trip across Bhutan proved). When I first started riding the Air I was very concerned about the flex. It felt uncertain and inefficient. Some people never get beyond that, and for them there is the Pocket Rocket Pro. But I discovered that the biggest issue was my cadence and stroke, something my stiff Ti and Steel bikes masked. After a short while (1000 miles or so) my stroke improved markedly and I began the enjoy the comfort of the flex beam without the annoyance of the "bounce". People riding with me often remark on the visible flex, but I no longer feel it and certainly it does not hold me back on aggressive rides. Moreover, I have become convinced that on long rides (50 miles +) on less than perfect roads (eg. touring) the flex alleviates much of the strain on silent muscles in the midsection and glutes and staves off exhaustion to some extent. My perception is that I may recover faster from long rides on the Air.

two cents