PDA

View Full Version : Messenger Pack vs. Bag for commuting

itsflantastic
09-16-2008, 11:41 AM
I know this topic has been kind of beaten to death, but here goes anyway.
I've been commuting to and from grad school a hilly 10 miles each way. Stuffing everything into a North Face Base Camp messenger bag ~ 1500 cu. in.

I think I want a pack. Looking at Chrome Ivan, Backbone or Ortleib messenger pack.

Any input on these bags? My load has been topping 30 lbs with books and gym clothes and things... so the messenger bag has been very restrictive and uncomfortable. Or maybe it just isn't a good messenger bag. Would it be worth looking into a better messenger bag?

Your input please!

Thanks

fiamme red
09-16-2008, 11:48 AM
30 lbs on your back? No wonder you're uncomfortable. Try using a Carradice saddlebag to keep some of that weight on your bike, where it belongs.

itsflantastic
09-16-2008, 11:51 AM
you mean like this one?
http://www.carradice.co.uk/sqr-saddlepacks/sqr-slim.shtml

fiamme red
09-16-2008, 11:55 AM
you mean like this one?
http://www.carradice.co.uk/sqr-saddlepacks/sqr-slim.shtmlI've only used the standard Carradice saddlebags (which I really like), not the SQR. The big advantage of the SQR bags is that you can remove them from your bike in seconds.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/carradice.asp

"Carradice makes a series of saddlebags that have the SQR System built in. It comes with everything you need. Extra SQR clamps are available if you would like to easily move the bag from one bike to another. The SQR bags are really convenient to use. You can take them on and off the bike easily, and you have quick access to your gear. Since the weight is carried further back, you'll feel it a bit more while climbing out of the saddle."

So yes, I think that bag should work very well, to carry at least some of your load.

If you want a very cool messenger bag, this is the one: http://www.wallbike.com/brooks/bags/barbican/barb1.html. [Edit: Just checked the price -- $380!]

deechee
09-16-2008, 11:57 AM
30lbs does sound a bit excessive...
anyway, i like the open back on these type of backpacks: deuter (http://www.deuterusa.com/products/productDetail.php?packID=futuraZero50&sub=hiking&tert=futuraZero)

Pete Serotta
09-16-2008, 11:59 AM
weight of the bad and the movement of bad is what causes a problem. The lower and more secure the bag is the more stable the bike will be. (and off your back will make you more comfortable)

itsflantastic
09-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Does anyone have experience with the 3 packs I mentioned?
The Chrome packs, the Ortleib, or even the ReLoad MidPack?

old_school
09-16-2008, 12:36 PM
This season, after years of struggling with heavy loads in a messenger bag, I picked up a Freight Baggage backpack from Cambridge Bicycle (http://www.cambridgebicycle.com/index.htm) that has been, hands down, my best purchase in recent memory. Their website no longer seems to exist, but photos can be found here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/absenter/sets/72157594475320997/). (One note with regards to sizing ... the bags are huge: small freight holds considerably more than my large Bailey Works super pro.)

giordana93
09-16-2008, 01:03 PM
30 lbs is way too much to carry on your back for anything more than a couple blocks. do yourself a favor and buy a cheap rear rack and set of panniers. it can be done for $100 (the price of a nice backpack) and you won't believe how much more comfortable you'll be, and safer to boot, as having that much weight up on your back raises your center of gravity. yuck. get a rack. trust me.

itsflantastic
09-16-2008, 01:08 PM
I've done a lot of touring and have had experience with racks and all the like. I'm still leaning toward a backpack because when I get to school, I have to walk around to all my classes with this stuff all over campus...
maybe 30 lbs was an exaggeration. It's probably closer to 18-20 range. . .
whoops :) I just weighed it. . .it's less (sure felt like 30 this morning though)

So anyway, that in mind...

bironi
09-16-2008, 01:21 PM
I used an Ortlieb pack for a few years commuting. It is well designed and will last for years of use. I liked to use the waist strap to keep the load on my hips and pelvis. It also helps balance to keep the weight low. I left the shoulder straps somewhat loose to allow for a gap down my back for air cooling. I would try to keep the weight in your pack to a minimum, which I am sure you do already. Good luck :beer:

giordana93
09-16-2008, 01:33 PM
you can get a backpack pannier though: one that hangs on the rack until you grab it and then use as a backpack.
if you insist on not using a rack, though, I would agree that you need something that has a good waist strap and try to get all the weight on your hips. your back will still get all sweaty, but it saves your shoulders and neck a bit.

Kervin
09-16-2008, 01:35 PM
My ride to work was about the same distance. I'd just put a strong rack on the bike with a crate on top. My back felt much better than using a just a backpack.

Bud
09-16-2008, 01:48 PM
I just started using one of the grocery bag style open panniers on the rear rack. I can drop my backpack or messenger bag right into this pannier for riding, then pull it out for going to meetings, the store, etc. It works well and is cheap. These open-top panniers can be had for around $30 from performance. I just have one now but plan on getting another to balance the load a bit. They fold up pretty well when not in use so as not to protrude unnecessarily.

JStonebarger
09-16-2008, 01:57 PM
I use a Chrome. Great bag. I wouldn't ride with 30 lbs in it though.

giordana93
09-16-2008, 01:58 PM
I've got a normal pannier on one side that offers a little more protection from the elements and for those items that like to jump overboard; and one of the fold-up open style just described on the other side, that I leave folded-closed until needed (and a ulock slips easily and securely into the fold). you can do a pretty big grocery run with the two panniers and a messenger bag/backpack, and the top of the rack is still open for something to be lashed to it

Charles M
09-16-2008, 02:04 PM
I know they're not Cyclo-Chic', but I way prefer a few more stadard backpacks that don't try to gain "cred" by catering to or trying to identify with being related to "bike-messenger"

I wouldn't mess with anything with a single main strap

Lots of day packs thay Packs that carry the weight low and wide and taper as the get nearer the top will ride well.

Ergon makes maybe the nices pack I've seen. Has a little ball in it that lets you move round without any loss of range of motion and carries the weight really low.

Sasha18
09-16-2008, 02:44 PM
From grad student to grad student -

I carried my books for several years in a messenger bag. After excessive time in front of computer and carrying loads of books to school, I developed a pronounced problem in my neck and shoulder.

I moved to an ortlieb bag. It was great, but I couldn't see over the rolled down top. It's in the perfect spot to obstruct my view. Otherwise, it's a great bag.

I carried stuff in an old North Face backpack for a while, which worked great. It gets really hot on warm days. And still burdensome with lots of books.

Now on particularly heavy days (most in fact), I use a pannier. Like you said, not ideal to carry around. But so much better on my back.

Fixed
09-16-2008, 02:57 PM
i agree 30 pounds is a load but .. it will teach you one thing and that is to keep your upper body still even when you sprint .. i would try to pair it down as much as i could
if you have to carry that much then that is what you have to do
i find learning to use the wast strap helps move it up or down depending on what and how you are riding ..imho
good luck .cheers

johnnymossville
09-16-2008, 03:05 PM
I got a Tumi T3 backpack as a gift, and found it works great for commuting. It lays well, and doesn't move around as I pedal. I think that's key.

tuscanyswe
09-16-2008, 03:21 PM
i use on ortlieb backpack daily when i work as a bikemessenger.
Most my collegues use messengerbags of different brands but there is no doubt that the ortlieb feels better when heavily loaded.

I think my ortlieb is great. I have a long slim torso so my back aint made for heavy loads for long trips. With a messenger bags it wont put equal amount of load on my shoulders no matter how much i adjust the straps.

So id say u will feel alot more comfortable with a packpack than a messengerbag with the load u r carrying.

The ortlieb serves me well but if no money restrictions i would prolly buy a chrome if i bought one today, mostly cause i think it looks better :)

paczki
09-16-2008, 03:47 PM
This Carradice Longflap works really well. It comes off easily and it's not on your back. You don't have to be as worried about being off center as with panniers. I don't regularly carry 30 lbs. in it though, but I have carried a laptop, books and gym clothes.

Joellogicman
09-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Does anyone have experience with the 3 packs I mentioned?
The Chrome packs, the Ortleib, or even the ReLoad MidPack?

I do not have the Ortlieb messenger but do have Ortlieb roll up panniers and the Ortlieb grocery pack.

Ortlieb's have a real intutive rack attachment set up. When you first get them, it takes 15 minutes max to find the optimal adjustment for your rack. Once you have the attachment pieces set, getting them on or off the rack takes a couple of seconds. My panniers and grocery bags come with handy carrying straps for when I go from the bike to office, train, or home.

The panniers grip the rack very well. Ortlieb are quite water proof.

Chrome makes good stuff. I imagine their pack works fine.

I agree with most of the rest here. Carrying weight on your back is counterproductive, especially when you have a bike that is more than capable of bearing the burden.

Joellogicman
09-16-2008, 04:24 PM
After posting, I remembered seeing this Ortlieb business pannier:

http://www.ortliebusa.com/cartgenie/prodInfo.asp?pid=36&cid=2

It attaches to the front or rear rack like any other Ortlieb. You snap it off and carry it like any large lap top case.

I ride with as much as 30 pounds on one side of the front pannier without any balance problems. Suppose it means I cannot ride with no hands. Given the state of Chicago streets, riding with no hands in any situation is not a good idea.

xjoex
09-16-2008, 05:06 PM
After posting, I remembered seeing this Ortlieb business pannier:

http://www.ortliebusa.com/cartgenie/prodInfo.asp?pid=36&cid=2

I use this pannier and have every day now for more than a year. It is a great bag. I carry a laptop, tools, light, and a change of clothes in it.

Tons of pics here: http://robonza.blogspot.com/2007/08/review-ortlieb-office-bag.html

-Joe

mike p
09-16-2008, 06:13 PM
I use a chrome metroplis and commute about 23 miles one way. 5 lbs would feel like 30 by the time you got there. I travel as lite as possible but have carried a case of beer in it before (on a bet and just a few miles).

Mike

Oakely-Erik
09-16-2008, 06:50 PM
Chrome. I had used a Timbuk2 for a couple years but I think my Chrome bag I got a year ago is much more comfortable.