PDA

View Full Version : Just curious: How many cars do you see on your average ride?

bulliedawg
10-31-2004, 03:59 PM
I'm just wondering what my friends have to contend with. I know the answer from many of your previous posts.

I went riding this morning. Left my driveway, and thirty miles later I had seen six cars. People going to church. When I ride on a weekday afternoon, I sometimes see 15 tops.

It's cotton picking time here. I ride right past the Bostwick gin, which is churning away. The roads are lined with fields of the stuff. And some sections are littered with whisps that have escaped from cotton carts being pulled behind tractors. It's like another time...and quite beautiful.

Tom Robison
10-31-2004, 04:04 PM
Here in So Cal, there are way too many people driving single occupant vehicles. On a 30 mile ride I would guess I'd see hundreds of cars.

A couple of months ago I visited my cousin in Burns, OR. We went on a 45 mile ride and saw 5 cars. TOPS. Now that was great.

Kevin
10-31-2004, 04:08 PM
In the NY metro area a 30 mile ride probably means 500 cars. If I ride the service road to the exprerssway, the count would be in the thousands.

Kevin

csb
10-31-2004, 04:16 PM
thats not a watt meter!... its my EZPASS

David Kirk
10-31-2004, 04:16 PM
2,3 ?

Dave

Climb01742
10-31-2004, 04:28 PM
but dave, soon how many snowflakes will you pass each ride? :p

Tom Robison
10-31-2004, 04:50 PM
2,3 ?

Dave

Ah, so your 30 day riding season is over... :D

I would love to have open roads to ride on. So Cal drivers are so distracted what with cell phones; changing CDs; reloading their guns......

Louis
10-31-2004, 05:05 PM
On my shorter rides close to home I'd say 10-20 cars per hour. On my longer rides where I have no choice but to use busier roads, maybe 30 per hour.

Louis

Ahneida Ride
10-31-2004, 05:20 PM
I tried to program the answer, but my calculator stops at 10**99. :rolleyes:

Russ
10-31-2004, 05:56 PM
Bullie,

Are you in Georgia or Kentucky? There are Watkinsville's in those states...

Anyway, I live in a metropolitan area and I normally have two rides. In the short one, which can be between 32 and 45 miles, I see so many cars that I would lose count if I were to count them.... way too many! On my other route, the long one, were I could do 100 miles if I wanted to, I see most of the cars at the begining and the end of the ride. Still, it is certainly more than 50....

One thing I am happy about is that I rarely have problems with drivers!!! If I get a yell or a horn once or twice a year, that is a lot.

Sandy
10-31-2004, 06:57 PM
Just one!! It was an older model SUV, loaded with about 5 tons of concrete. I was going up a steep hill. The car was on the wrong side of the road. I could see the sick grin on the driver's rather ugly face. He was yelling obscenities at me right before his SUV hit me. It was quite a jolt.

Once I hit the ground I will tell you how I am doing.

When Kevan passed me, he thought that I wasn't doing anything. He thought that I was done!! :)

STill Sailing STill Serotta Sandy

bulliedawg
10-31-2004, 07:06 PM
Bullie,

Are you in Georgia or Kentucky? There are Watkinsville's in those states...

Georgia.

RABikes2
10-31-2004, 11:49 PM
Rides take me from my driveway out through the country rollers and hills of north Florida and south Georgia. On a 100 miler by myself, I might see 15-20 vehicles, but if I'm with another rider or two and we get adventurous and travel the really, really back roads of Georgia, there might only be 10-15 cars on a long ride.

Now if it's Mule Day in Calvery, GA, the Rattlesnake Festival, or any one of the other festivals :p that are the "happening" here in the fall, then there will be more driving loonies out and about.

I'll still take country riding any day. :)

Too Tall
11-01-2004, 06:14 AM
Yo Kirk! Quit riding during rush hr. ;)

It really depends. During my morning commute sometimes zero cars pass me for the first 15 miles. and THAN I hit downtown and you know the rest.

This area is pretty congested so we normally head for the countryside. "Out thar" traffic is very low on the order of 20 cars maybe on a 60 mile ride.

Spectrum Bob
11-01-2004, 08:31 AM
Too Tall,
You are talking about cars not passing you but haw many cars are you passing in you first 15 miles?
What rout do you take?
Bob