PDA

View Full Version : '09 Rival Question.

johnnymossville
09-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Last Night I installed the 09 Rival Shifters/Derailleurs on my bike and noticed that the front derailleur shifts really loudly. I'm wondering if this is normal. The Click(Clunk! Snap!) it makes going from Large to Small Chainring is extremely loud.

Anyone else install 09 Rival yet and has an opinion?

Ken Robb
09-15-2008, 01:32 PM
"Sounds" to me like they are really trying to Out-Campy Campagnolo. My newish Campy "snaps" and my Shimano "snicks" and they are both louder than Nuovo Record. :)

benb
09-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Just a stiff spring.. my 07 rival is/was like that.

The real question is whether or not they made a meaningful improvement in the effort to shift from the small->big ring, and whether or not your fingers are going to slip off the lever in the process when they're wet (sweat or rain).

This to me was the biggest issue with the older rival... it's no big deal for high effort on a MTB shifter cause it's positioned to grip the bar and have leverage.. with a road shifter if the effort is that high and my hand is wet it will slip on the hood.

johnnymossville
09-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Yeah, I noticed the spring is very stiff, not to mention, VERY stout. I think they made it almost too stiff. I think shifting up to the big ring is pretty good so far.

I just noticed step one on the installation instructions was to oil the front derailleur in various places. Maybe I should've read the directions. I'll check that out when I get home later.