PDA

View Full Version : Want to replace suspension fork on my MTB

sc53
09-14-2008, 07:33 PM
I have an old Specialized M2 mtb in "mango" (orange) from about 1992. It still has the original red Manitou suspension fork, that no longer suspends or does anything but weigh a lot. I checked with my LBS and servicing that old fork would be expensive, besides I don't need a suspension fork. I put some city bike type handlebars on the bike (Velo-Orange Milan bars, they're really nice!) and it's comfortable to ride around town and bike trails. What kind of non-suspension fork can I put on this bike? What kind of measurements need to be made? It has 26" wheels and is about a 13 or 15 inch size frame as I recall, in Specialized's sizing scheme from back then. Should I look into a Winwood carbon fork for 26" wheels? Would a fork for 700c wheels work?

WadePatton
09-14-2008, 08:26 PM
92? Threadless? 1" or 1.125"? Easy if it's a 1.125" threadless-just ask around for a pull off from something like a Bianchi SISS-lots of single speeds come with rigid forks and are quickly exchanged for suspension forks--BUT the newer stuff won't have canti studs for your brakes. So you may wind up needing a disc brake too if you go that route--which is a good thing.

A good LBS should set you up with all that...but we can help here once you tell us the particulars of your current fork.

And while I don't know that particular fork, most of them are easy enough to take apart and de-gunk and then they're bouncy again. But don't dive in if you're not handy with a wrench already.

Need to know threaded or not, and the diameter of the steer tube. If you get a used fork you'll need at least as much length of steer tube--crown race to top.

PacNW2Ford
09-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Depending on how much steerer tube you need, this could work:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=37693

It is made to approximate a 63mm travel suspension fork.

sc53
09-15-2008, 08:23 AM
It's 1 1/8" and I measured 64 cm from top of steerer to quick release. Cary where would I find that fork you linked to? Are you still selling it?

BumbleBeeDave
09-15-2008, 08:35 AM
. . . sells a carbon fork for 26" wheeled bikes and their catalog blurb says something like, "It's the perfect thing for old mountain bikes with dead suspension forks." That sounds a lot like you! . . . er, I mean like your bike! :rolleyes:

BBD

sc53
09-15-2008, 08:46 AM
Thanks BBD! I will check it out. I found the Igleheart site as well, he makes nice looking rigid forks for mtb's.

Adam
09-15-2008, 09:01 AM
I have a Surly 1x1 rigid fork on my 1998 Serotta ATX that is perfect for older hardtails that had 63mm travel front forks. Cheap and durable and I can put a 2.5" tire in front for all the suspension I need around here.

WadePatton
09-15-2008, 09:18 AM
It's 1 1/8" and I measured 64 cm from top of steerer to quick release. Cary where would I find that fork you linked to? Are you still selling it?
Measure from bottom headset race to top of stem--that's where your steer tube is. And this is only important if you get a used fork (with cut steerer). Gotta have enough steer tube for the head tube + headset + stem + spacers. Any new fork will come with excess steer tube to be hacked off and not be a problem.

I was trying to get you out on the cheap with pull-off's, but if you're looking at a new fork there are lots of builders who'll make you a lovely steel one in any color--with the exact brake/and or fender/rack mounting hardware you desire. It might take a little while, but think about how long you've already "waited". ;)

Steelhead
09-15-2008, 09:25 AM
PROCEED WITH CAUTION. I had that same bike, 1993 model and I eventually replaced the Rock Shox Mag 21 that it came with, and I did it with a new 2003 model Rock Shox Duke XC with adjustable travel. Even dialed down at minimal travel (~95 mm) that was much longer travel than the original for circa 1993. The rake was was off and it literally ruined the ride of that bike. I love fast tight single track and after the fork swap the front end got so squirrely that I wound up taking it off dirt duty, putting slicks on it and making a commuter out of it. I would stick with the factory shock unless you really need a new one, and if so find one that has short travel and rake or it will seriously mess up the handling of that bike.

I commuted and coffee shop tripped on that Stumpjumper until about 9 months ago when I finally sold it. :)

konstantkarma
09-15-2008, 10:05 AM
There are several "suspension-corrected" forks for sale out there. I put a rigid triple-butted Kona on my wife's mountain bike, when she trashed the suspension fork. It was only $89, and I have seen others at Performance for even less. The upside was that the new for saved almost 2 lbs compared to the suspension fork.

Steelhead
09-15-2008, 11:00 AM
I should have read your complete post before responding. I did nt realize you were looking to go to a rigid fork, just assumed suspension and the terror of my bike going from stable flyer to wishy-washy slop machine was too much to bear. I think On One makes a good suspension corrected fork and alsi Viscious Cycles. :)

gdw
09-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Your bike was designed for a 2inch/50mm travel fork. Measure your existing fork from the center of the axle to the lower race and then subtract a 1/2inch, to compensate for sag, to determine what length model you need to replace it.

Check out the forks at Bikeman.
http://www.bikeman.com/Rigid_Mountain_Forks.html
As Konstantkarma mentioned, the Kona's are excellent forks and reasonable priced.

billrick
09-15-2008, 12:22 PM
I have two Surly 1x1 forks sitting around the house if you want to borrow one before buying. Both have King headsets installed. Surly says they are "suspension corrected" for an 80mm fork, but it is definitely on the short side of 80mm. I'd say 73mm is more like it. I'm in the the Belle Haven area of Alexandria, just south of Old Town.

:)