PDA

View Full Version : Can you use 2x9 with 10 spd cass and chain?

mbr350
09-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Hi all,

I am making a little Franken-bike and I am looking for assistance. Can I use a FSA 2x9 (MTN) Crankset with a 10 speed drivetrain (shifters, chain, cass...)?

If I try this, what are the possible adverse outcomes? All parts will be brand new.

Thanks!

Will

Peter P.
09-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Downshifts from the large chainring to the small chainring MAY cause the chain to ride the gap between the two rings. It doesn't happen in all instances. It won't JAM between the rings; it's just that the shift may be slow for the chain to catch the small ring's teeth. Upshifts should not be a problem.

I haven't tried this combination myself, but I've seen this question answered on the Shimano web site.

dauwhe
09-14-2008, 06:25 PM
Franken-bike? Do tell!

Dave, building up a 650B Monster-monster crosser right now...

mbr350
09-14-2008, 06:39 PM
I am having a Black Sheep Highlight frame and unicrown ti fork made around Stan's 29er wheels and Cyclocross tires. I am going to run hydraulic disks mounted lever forward on Profile Bullhorn bars with SRAM bar End Shifters. I am going to run an 10-spd IRD 11-34 rear cassette with SRAM X.0 rear deraileur and either a 29-44 or 30-39-50 front crankset.

I am making a kind of "all-road" bike. I tried to use a S-works Tricross for this, but the gears and brakes weren't up to it, and I would ruin the bike trying to make it what I want.

I am building this because I rarely ride in the dirt. I realized that I didn't like loading the bike in the car and driving to the trail. So, I am making a bike that I can ride with 90% the efficiency of my road bike to the trail and then be able to ride steep fireroad trails on it (tons of these in my part of Nor Cal).

I might even try a local cyclocross race or two with it as well.

xjoex
09-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Hi all,

I am making a little Franken-bike and I am looking for assistance. Can I use a FSA 2x9 (MTN) Crankset with a 10 speed drivetrain (shifters, chain, cass...)?

If I try this, what are the possible adverse outcomes? All parts will be brand new.

Thanks!

Will

It will work fine.

-Joe