PDA

View Full Version : Selle SMP Glider review

LegendRider
09-14-2008, 12:13 PM
The Selle SMP Glider is the latest in an extremely long line of saddles I’ve tried over the years. The owner of my LBS swears by it and he claims that no one has ever returned an SMP saddle that he’s sold. As someone who is always shifting around on the bike due to minor pressure and discomfort, I was willing to give it a try despite the cost.

Unlike other cut out saddles, the SMP relieves 100% of the pressure on the perineum. It doesn’t reduce pressure – there is none. If you get a chance to try the saddle, reach underneath and feel the soft tissue in the gap.

However, the trade-off is 100% of your weight is on your sit bones. Other reviewers (RoadBikeReview) have noted that it takes some time to get adjusted and I agree. I’m still getting there, but I’m certain this is the saddle for me. I have a ProLink GelFlow on one bike that I rode recently after a few weeks with the SMP Glider and it was a major step back in comfort.

Aside from the reduced pressure, the most noticeable advantage is that I can ride in the drops for much longer. Bottom line – the SMP Glider has improved my efficiency, comfort and speed on the bike.

gomez308
09-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Is your LBS the Bicycle Link? I had a fitting done there recently. Will couldn't say enough good stuff about the SMP saddles.. I'm on a Toupe now and like it better than any saddle I've sat on.

LegendRider
09-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Yep, the Link is my home shop. And you're right, Will loves them.