PDA

View Full Version : Rain rain go away!

Rover-Rich
09-14-2008, 07:32 AM
Yesterday the Chicagoland area just got the most recorded rain dumped on it in one day ever! Got me thinking (scary!), and wondered what other people thought.

I have a really hard time starting a ride (or run for that matter) when it is raining outside. Once riding/running, rain doesn't bother me one bit nor does it make me want to stop unless it is really, really cold. I'd even go further and say that riding in the rain is cleansing and spiritually uplifting, again provided it isn't freezing. What does everyone else think? :beer:

konstantkarma
09-14-2008, 09:08 AM
I think it depends on where you are when riding in rain. Here on the humid mid-Atlantic east coast. it is fun to ride in a light or steady rain. it is warm enough. However, the few times I have been caught in the rain in Colorado have been terrible. No humidity, so when it rains it is cooooold!

gasman
09-14-2008, 10:30 AM
If I didn't ride in the rain in the Northwest I wouldn't ride much of the year.
That's why most of us have fendered bikes for winter.
I do agree it is hard to get motivated to head out for a ride in the rain. I can go for a hike easily for some reason though.

Ginger
09-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Ah, but it's a warm rain.

The sort of rain I can't convince myself to go out in is that stuff that's half slush. Blech. Snow, yes, slush, no.

If I had time to ride yesterday in the rain, I would have. It was such a nice warm day with constant sprinkles. Bike needs to get washed before it gets packed anyhow. :)

Pete Serotta
09-14-2008, 11:46 AM
And that is not often in Michigan. The slush is the norm ;)
Ah, but it's a warm rain.

The sort of rain I can't convince myself to go out in is that stuff that's half slush. Blech. Snow, yes, slush, no.

If I had time to ride yesterday in the rain, I would have. It was such a nice warm day with constant sprinkles. Bike needs to get washed before it gets packed anyhow. :)

Ginger
09-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Rich,
I just went out to pick up some groceries, kids are playing in the rain on their bikes...

It got me to wondering when do people start to melt in the rain? There's a certain age when it just isn't fun anymore?

I still splash in the puddles and walk without a raincoat...

dogdriver
09-14-2008, 05:53 PM
It's nice in Utah-- just went up Big Cottonwood Canyon in 50' and sunshine this AM. Wonderful. Come ride here...

Cheers, Chris

(I realize the payback from the southern crowd will be ugly in November)

Bruce K
09-14-2008, 06:24 PM
It was a perfect day for a cross race here in New England.

Rain, mud, a little blood (not mine today), and chocolate when I got home.

Yahoo !!! :banana:

BK

cadence90
09-14-2008, 07:46 PM
I love riding in the rain, skiing in snowstorms, and walking in the fog.
I like the colors, silence and solitude. It's a different and wonderful kind of peace, for me.

Rover-Rich
09-14-2008, 08:34 PM
There I did it. Forced myself to do my 12mile run in the rain. After a few choice words at the start I really liked it by the time I was done :beer:

Ginger, I still love hitting puddles on the bike and making a general ass of myself! I saw kids riding their bikes in about 3 ft of standing water down the street from me, I remember when I did that a long time ago!

Ginger
09-14-2008, 10:00 PM
There I did it. Forced myself to do my 12mile run in the rain. After a few choice words at the start I really liked it by the time I was done :beer:

Ginger, I still love hitting puddles on the bike and making a general ass of myself! I saw kids riding their bikes in about 3 ft of standing water down the street from me, I remember when I did that a long time ago!

Only the bad attitude melted! Good for you!

On riding in the rain...Yeah...now we worry about our bottom brackets and hubs. :)