PDA

View Full Version : Opinion...Rolf Vector Comp wheels

rwsaunders
09-13-2008, 09:46 PM
My brother has a chance to pick up a used set of these as a back-up set of wheels. I think that they have a decent amount of miles on them, but they appear to spin pretty smoothly. How about some opinions. Thanks

rockdude
09-13-2008, 11:01 PM
I have a pair. I like them, they just keep going and going. The ride is pretty good. I have known several people who didn't like them.

avalonracing
09-14-2008, 01:38 AM
I had a pair (they came on our team bikes... Kleins in 2000). They sucked.
They wouldn't stay true and were very hard to get back in shape and after a few times they were toast. It wasn't just me, I've ridden inexpensive Mavic wheels for thousands of miles without a single adjustment.

Erik.Lazdins
09-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Had a pair back in 01 through about 03 put 15K miles on them - broke 1 spoke - other than that no problems.

BumbleBeeDave
09-14-2008, 04:55 PM
. . . on his Klein and he had many problems with them breaking spokes. At the time he weighed between 190-200. The spokes would not actually break--the build made the wheel just flexy enough that the spokes would actually back out of the nipples, the spoke would come loose, and the nipple would fall down in the rim. We had this happen once on a group ride and we made an amusing sight by the roadside trying to fish the spoke nipple out of the rim, then get the spoke threaded back into the nipple and true the thing well enough using the brake pads for guides to get him home. It was either that or call for a ride, since the wheel had so few spokes and they're at such high tension that if you lose one it made the thing unridable.

BBD

FMS_rider
09-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Link to old review that includes Vector Comps: http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/product2006/wheels/wheelsrolf.html. As I recall there was an early period when Rolf wheels from the Trek collaboration had reliability problems that led to Rolf starting his own venture, but I believe that ones made for a year or so near the end of the Rolf-Trek period were good wheels. I have had a pair of Vector Comps hanging in my garage virtually unused since I bought them in 2000/2001? --they came on a steel Lemond but I switched to Open Pro-Dura Ace and never got around to selling them. They stayed perfectly true for the estimated 200-300 miles I used them.

Lew

gasman
09-14-2008, 05:46 PM
I know a lot of guys that have them and love them. The riders vary in weight from 160-220 lbs and the wheels have been bombproof.

Elefantino
09-14-2008, 05:57 PM
I had two sets of Rolf Vector Comps on different bikes and they were solid, if a little heavy.

I never had a serious truing problem and didn't break any spokes.

I'd consider them again as a good set of backup wheels.

Fixed
09-14-2008, 06:29 PM
but that is me... really junk if they are real old i had a tub. set of r.v. pros and they were junk too imho

ti_boi
09-15-2008, 12:13 PM
I know a lot of guys that have them and love them. The riders vary in weight from 160-220 lbs and the wheels have been bombproof.

I loved mine...actually miss them....dead silent hubs...very nice, BTW I was 235 when I rode them ((((Burp))))