PDA

View Full Version : My perfect ride--What was yours?

BumbleBeeDave
09-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Have you ever had a Perfect Ride? The kind of ride where everything—and I mean EVERYTHING—comes together to make it one of the best you’ve ever had? Weather . . . equipment performance . . . personal fitness . . . general surroundings . . . even the right chamois with the most comfortable pad. It all combines to leave you cruising along so happy and saying to yourself, “This is perfect. This is why I ride.”

I had one of those rides last Sunday morning. It was a beautiful day near North Creek in the southern Adirondacks. My girlfriend and I had gone up to her cabin to spend some quality time together after both of us attended to other commitments over the past month. The weather was cool and rainy on Saturday as we slept late, went out for breakfast, and just hung around enjoying the day, making some ???elry, watching a movie, relaxing. Slow and easy.

So Sunday morning when I rolled down the hill I was relaxed and feeling great after a couple of bagels washed down with plenty of hot coffee and ready for a nice long ride. The skies had cleared and the light breeze rustled the trees. There was a sharp coolness in the air and a hint of color here and there, but mostly the green deciduous trees had just faded a bit, while the evergreens provided a brilliant dark green contrast. The milkweeds were starting to yellow. The sky was the deep, briliant blue of a new tarp from the hardware store.

This is perfect. This is why I ride.

I headed over toward North Creek, over the Hudson, and onto Peaceful Valley Road. The Queen Bee was working flawlessly, the gears snicking up and down with barely even a noise. Clean bike, clean chain, new rear tire, saddle, and pedals. Full bottles, and my most confortable pair of shorts and matching kit—a present from my forum friend Avispa.

I head up the first big hill, a bit tentative because the Deerfield dirt ride two weeks before had left me totally drained. I took it real easy the next two weeks when I realized how much it had taken out of me. I can normally push it over 175 bpm, but the previous week’s rides my heart wouldn’t go over 165. Now we’ll see if the rest did any good. I watch the heart monitor as I start to ramp it up . . . 156 . . . 164 . . . 170 . . . 175! Great! I’m back to my normal max. This feels good!

The sights unfold as I ride on toward Johnsburg. An old van by the side of the road covered with vines. Small country churches with cars outside. Goldenrod everywhere, lending a fringe of yellow to the fields so they match my bike. The apple trees along the road are bearing and the unpicked fruit dropping. There’s a sweet odor of rotting apples as I glide by.

There’s wildlife, too, of a sort. The fall’s first woolly bear caterpillar crosses the road. I go by too fast to see exaclty how broad that black band in the fur is, and I don’t remember exactly how to interpret it anyway. A flash of orange is a newt wriggling across the pavement. I pause beside a lake near Athol and there’s dozens of them on the pavement. I veer back and forth, avoiding them with my tires, but still there are some that obviously have not been so lucky. Across the lake, there’s a frantic flapping as a trio of ducks takes flight. As I slowly climb a hill, I catch a glimpse of movement by my front wheel—it’s an inchworm on the pavement, climbing the hill with me. Good luck!

I ride through Sodom, Johnsburg, Athol, down the hill to River Road and along the upper Hudson. I’ll follow it all the way back to The Glen, then cross the river, up past Friends Lake and Loon Lake, and back to the cabin. The river is gleaming in the sunshine. There’s just enough breeze to keep me cool. I wave to people. A car passes and I look up just as a child’s hand waves out the window. Most car drivers don’t wave back. The motorcyclists do. They understand . . .

River Road brings me to The Glen, where I’m greeted by the blue river beneath the highway bridge and the silent purple school buses of the river rafting center. Their doors hang open, waiting for the rafters who won’t be here again until spring, and they sit next to rack upon rack of abandoned orange life vests. I stop to take pictures of the vests, the river, and marvel at the beauty of the scene and the moment.

Now up the hill to Friends Lake. It’s steep, but even the pain in my legs in enjoyable because it’s bearable and my quads keep pumping hard. This is hard, but it feels so much better than I did a week ago! On the way down toward Rt. 8 I pass the first other cyclist I’ve seen today. Man or woman? I can’t tell in the cycling garb. But I’m flying down the hill and can’t help but yell “Yeee-HAH!!” as we pass. He (she?) waves and laughs. He’s wearing a Serotta jersey!

This is perfect! This is why I ride!

Now I cross Rt. 8 onto White Schoolhouse Road. Up the hill. Not as steep as i remember it from last time. Over and down, then turning onto Igerna Road. It’s only five miles back to the cabin now. Take it easy. Make this last. I’m getting tired now, but the sky is still as blue, the trees and flowers still glowing like before. I shift down and climb slowly, my liesurely pace a combination of lactic acid burn and a burning desire to want to keep riding, to want to keep enjoying the bright sun, the way my bike’s surging up the hill under me, and the bittersweet impermanence of this season. There’s only a few weeks left before the temperatures begin their inexorable slide toward winter chill.

Finally, I get to the entrance to the dirt road back to the cabin. I lay my bike down, retrieve my sandals from next to the rock where I started, and strap them back to my feet before starting to walk up the dirt road to the homestead. As I walk up the road I see Bev loading things into the back of her truck. She sees me and walks to meet me.

“How was it?” she asks as she gives me a kiss and turns to walk with me. What can I say?

“It was perfect. That’s why I ride.”

-BBD

Smiley
09-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Nice BBDave :)

chuckroast
09-13-2008, 04:09 PM
It's been raining all week here in KC and plus I'm ramping up in a new job so I haven't sat on the bike since last Sunday. So, imagine my mood when I got up this am and it doggone if it wasn't raining again.

My wife and spend the morning going to some estate sales and running errands and the clouds never lift.

Finally, about 1:00 I said to myself, enough, I'm going out. Down comes the fendered bike, on goes the jacket and out I go.

Sure, I got rained on a little but I was out there, the temperatures were cool, the roads were smooth and the winds were light. It was a great day to ride.

rwsaunders
09-13-2008, 04:21 PM
The Bee-man is rockin'.

Sandy
09-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Wonderful depiction of your ride. Beautifully told. Does sound like a perfect ride.

Picture Perfect Sandy

93legendti
09-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Nice (I sensed a nod to George Clooney's character in "The Perfect Storm" in your description - that's a good thing).

I've had a lot of perfect rides. These days my requirements are few: Return home safely and no flats. :)

Johny
09-13-2008, 05:43 PM
No flats!!!!!!!!!!!!???? This is perfect. This is why I ride. :)

Great post, Dave. I had good rides earlier this week on my commute...cool temperature and nice sunset and sunrise...endorphin kicked in...I recalled those rides we had at the Ramble...life is just good...now I am having a flu... :crap: :crap:

Steevo
09-13-2008, 07:32 PM
BBD - Great post - very descriptive. I try to get to Gore Mtn every winter, so I know some of those roads. Riding them in late summer must be perfect, indeed. Thanks for the post and the pics. Kind of took me there for a couple of minutes.

sn69
09-13-2008, 09:24 PM
You see the country in a way that you can't possibly imagine, and you meet incredible people.

WadePatton
09-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Cool ride and report.

For me Imperfection is Perfection. So I'm still working on that Perfect One--but don't want to have the ultimate ride too soon. ;)

npla2112
09-14-2008, 05:17 AM
BumbleBeeDAve,
I live in Brant Lake, just off exit 25. I moved there from Brooklyn 3 years ago to get away from the city life. There is nothing like riding in the country. I've ridden up Friends Lake Road, Around Loon Lake, Friends Lake, Brant Lake etc.
Pines trees, mountain air, rivers, lakes and wildlife. Don't think it can ever get any better. Want to go for a ride sometime? I would like to meet other riders in the area to share in the experience. Let me know.

Nestor

bumperjohn
09-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Thanks for sharing your ride, I felt like I was there.

John

Steevo
09-14-2008, 08:34 PM
In the "what was yours" category, I had a great ride this morning. I rode the 50 mile version of the Westchester Cycle Club's Golden Apple. The Golden Apple (GA) is a really nice tour of varying lengths through northern Westchester County, NY. It rained lightly for the first half and was muggy as hell for the second half. What made this particular ride personally rewarding was simply keeping up, pulling the group for my fair share, and riding strong for the duration. I felt great all morning. Not a perfect ride, but a real nice one - beautiful scenery, good company and good personal performance. All good stuff. I'm having a good season, keeping up with my pack.

Sandy
09-14-2008, 11:48 PM
My perfect ride has not occurred yet. It will occur next year or probably never. It will be roughly 40-60 miles in length, shared with Smiley and a bunch of Serotta Forum members, some I consider friends and have met, some I consider friends , but have never met, and some I know only through their postings on the forum, but have not developed friendships. I will be riding my candy apple red all steel CDA, weigh 180-190 pounds, and will be wearing some Serotta Jersey. It may be in the DC area or somewhere else.

The weather will be warm, camaraderie will be apparent, the group will basically ride together, or at least wait up for others as the ride progresses, and we will all meet afterwards to enjoy food beverages and most importantly -friendships, old and new.

Sharing a ride, (or rides), conversation, and food with some wonderful folks who frequent this place. Friendships rekindled and new ones made. That will be my perfect ride.

Hope that some of you will want to join me.

Smiling Sandy