PDA

View Full Version : CycloCross Bike Thoughts

Ripple
09-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Looking for my first Cyclocross bike for some winter training and fun on gravel, trails and dirt roads, etc. Might dabble in some fun races.

I know that fit is one of the most important considerations and I'm looking to put together a short list of contenders. I'm not looking to spend too much and as such I'm looking for a stock bike ideally with SRAM.

I appreciate your thoughts on bikes to consider.

By the way, I'm strongly considering quality used bikes. If anyone is looking to sell, let me know. (I ride a 58 road bike).

Thanks!

Ripple

Ken Robb
09-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Besides 'real" cross bikes you might find a good deal on an older steel bike with clearance for 700x 30mm or wider tires to see how you like this kind of riding

dancinkozmo
09-13-2008, 12:08 PM
i'd have a close look at the surly crosscheck...i had a pacer and it rode great on gravel roads, had to sell it cause it was one size too small.

wrt bikes ...as the saying goes...."cheap,strong,light: pick any two"

Bruce K
09-13-2008, 12:26 PM
While the Surly is certainly a good option. Redline has some of the best "bang for the buck" going on cross bikes.

There are/were some good deals on Ridleys floating around as well.

Try to find a leftover 08 as very little changes in cross bikes from year to year, at least for your purposes.

What size are you looking for, and where are you located? I knew of a slightly used Surly in size 56 that was available for about $600-700 locally (north of Boston), but they might pack and ship.

BK

Ripple
09-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Thanks for your thoughts.

I noticed some good deals on the Ridley Crossbow recently...

I live in NJ. I understand that Cross bike frame sizes may run differently than road bikes and that there is some variability from brand to brand. I currently ride a 58 road frame. I guess I'll start there and verify the size when I test ride.

Steve in SLO
09-13-2008, 02:37 PM
For an active CX forum with many nice threads answering just your question, try www.bikeforums.net and look in their Cyclocross Forum.

rwsaunders
09-13-2008, 03:05 PM
The Jerk over at Velocipede Salon is selling some new Ridleys with all sorts of options. People seem to be pleased.

Ripple
09-13-2008, 06:32 PM
For an active CX forum with many nice threads answering just your question, try www.bikeforums.net and look in their Cyclocross Forum.

Thanks Steve in SLO.

Lots of great information in this CX Forum link.

Ripple.
:beer:

flickwet
09-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Steel is real, "CX racing to win" bikes are generally Aluminum, to be lighter, my Bianchi Axxis was such a bike. Frame lasted three tears of riding or about 9,000 miles. Replaced it with a Crosscheck What a revelation! Harshness gone felt tons smoother and a joy to ride. Also for some reason had fewer component failures and my race placings went from DNF or 3rd from last to 5-7th in my class, yeah I suck but its soo much fun, unless you are an elite CX racer a steel bike will provide an overall more satisfying ownership experience, maybe E-Richie knows about that too

Lifelover
09-14-2008, 10:48 AM
If you want the best than get this:

http://www.serotta.com/images/bike_hsg_steel_cx.jpg

If you are on a tight budget than check out the K2 from Performance. With the current 10% off promotion, you could get it for around $1100 shipped.

Ripple
09-14-2008, 11:21 AM
I recently made the switch from Aluminum to Ti on my road bike and I still long for my original Gary Fisher steel mtn bike. I was wondering about the steel vs. Aluminum on a CX bike. My initial thought was definitely leaning toward steel. Seems like many of the CX bikes are Aluminum. Thanks for the input Flickwet.

The HSG Steel Cross looks like a good option ... I haven't seen the 09 pricing yet.

Right now I'm considering the Ridley Crossbow, Gary Fisher Presidio, Redline, Surly and I'll check out the pricing on the HSG steel.

Thanks and keep the good thoughts flowing ....

Onno
09-14-2008, 11:32 AM
I have a question about this too: does one normally aim to get a cross-bike with the same frame size as a road bike? The geometry of frames I've been looking at seems more square than that of roadbikes, especially for the 60 cm frame I imagine I'd need (that's the size of my road bike).

Marcusaurelius
09-14-2008, 01:38 PM
I've tried Surly crosscheck, Soma doublecross and Lemond Poprad. The Surly and Soma were alright but I much preferred the Lemond with it's lower bottom bracket height. The Lemond handles like a road bike while the others didn't inspire me with confidence on the flat parts.

Ripple
09-14-2008, 07:24 PM
I have a question about this too: does one normally aim to get a cross-bike with the same frame size as a road bike? The geometry of frames I've been looking at seems more square than that of roadbikes, especially for the 60 cm frame I imagine I'd need (that's the size of my road bike).

Here's a link that I saw that might help with the sizing question:

http://cycle-smart.com/articles/find.php?search=31

Onno
09-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks--that is a useful article, and jibes with what I'd been thinking (though since I don't own a cyclo-cross bike, I know that I don't know much.) It does make sense that one would want a bike that allows you to sit high, and perhaps a little further forward than a road bike, and that the reach would be a bit shorter. Now I've just got to find a stock 60-58 frame. Anyone know of such a thing?

rnhood
09-15-2008, 12:39 PM
Bikes Direct has a pretty decent deal on a Ti cross bike but, it would have to be preordered.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_cross_ti.htm

sailorboy
09-15-2008, 01:04 PM
The Jerk over at Velocipede Salon is selling some new Ridleys with all sorts of options. People seem to be pleased.
This is hilarious...who wants to buy a bike from someone named "the jerk"

To know him is to love him, right Bob? I just hope our newbie is aware that it is his screen name and not his personna...well, maybe it is that too...seriously, there are lots of folks on this and the other forum who are in the bike retail business and can make sense of your requests.

Bruce K
09-15-2008, 01:37 PM
No, that is FAR from what he is like in person.

He is quite knowledgable and helpful if you visit the shop.

He made me into a returning customer from a "never again".

BK

Ripple
09-15-2008, 03:11 PM
This is hilarious...who wants to buy a bike from someone named "the jerk"

To know him is to love him, right Bob? I just hope our newbie is aware that it is his screen name and not his personna...well, maybe it is that too...seriously, there are lots of folks on this and the other forum who are in the bike retail business and can make sense of your requests.

No worries, the Jerk's reputation is stellar in my eyes ... :) (I saw his offer previously in the other forum.)