PDA

View Full Version : OT: Serottaworld, my friend needs your prayers

hansolo758
09-13-2008, 05:48 AM
My friend recently had a serious accident while riding his bike. He is now paralyzed from the chest down.

My friend is in sales, and spends a great deal of his work day in his car or in a truck. The early morning between 5 and 6 AM is when he gets his exercise. He was out riding about a week ago with some friends around 5 AM. That's pretty dark now up here in the north. He was a bit ahead of his friends and was first down a hill. On the descent, he lost control when he skidded on some loose stones that were in the road. He went off the road at high speed down a slope, went head-first over his handlebars and landed on his neck and right shoulder. His friends didn't see him at first because it was dark. It was over an hour before they found him, curled up in a fetal position but alive.

He was rushed to the hospital, where he was found to have a broken neck, broken ribs and a shattered right shoulder. He was in surgery for over 9 hours to stabilize his neck. He still hasn't had surgery on his shoulder. He has had to be on a respirator and has had pneumonia and an irregular heart rhythm but it finally looks like he's going to pull through. While we don't know if he'll walk again, we hope he'll be able to use his arms.

His wife is a nurse with whom I work. They are two of the nicest people you could ever meet. My friend is in his mid 50s. He's a gentle giant of a man who is nearly 6' 6". He is almost fanatical about fitness and has run several marathons. If anyone embodies "family values", he does. He served his country in Vietnam, has been married to the same woman for some 30 years, and has raised a wonderful family. He always has a laugh or a smile, is the top salesperson where he works and is heavily involved in his church. He really would give you his coat as well even if you just asked for his shirt, and would walk 2 miles with you if you asked him to walk only 1.

He and his family are dealing with this far better than I would because of their faith. The hospital has set up a website where you can read his story and leave comments on an electronic guestbook. If any of you would like to do so, please pm me and I can give you the relevant links. He and his family would be grateful. Thanks.

And for all of you -- Be careful out there.

Raj Sundaram

Ripple
09-13-2008, 06:16 AM
Sorry to hear this news about your friend. I will add him to my prayers.

Hang in there.

Ripple

rwsaunders
09-13-2008, 07:11 AM
Pretty heavy stuff when compared to the political threads that are causing so much stress among the group. My thoughts are with them as well.

mike p
09-13-2008, 07:25 AM
Very sorry to hear about your good friends accident. I will certainly be praying for him. Keep the faith and please keep us informed.

Mike

mike p
09-13-2008, 07:29 AM

Fixed
09-13-2008, 07:44 AM
I am sad to hear I will prey for him too

MarleyMon
09-13-2008, 07:59 AM
How sad.
I'll pray for his recovery.

BumbleBeeDave
09-13-2008, 08:05 AM
"OT: Serottaworld, my friend needs your prayers"

He's got 'em . . . Hard for me to imagine enduring something like this. I hope for the very best for him. With therapy and technology available today, it may not turn out as badly as it seems now. I hope not!

BBD

thwart
09-13-2008, 08:07 AM
Please pass along my wishes for a speedy recovery to your friend.

That story is enough to give anyone pause about the risks out there. If this can happen to a skilled rider like him...

chuckroast
09-13-2008, 08:16 AM
When you can, let your friend know that we're all thinking about him and his family.

R2D2
09-13-2008, 08:26 AM
Consider it done.
He'll get all my prayers.

GoJavs
09-13-2008, 10:01 AM
He will be in my prayers. Poor guy.

Ahneida Ride
09-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Will do.

I can assure you of the power of prayer, having been a recipient of it's
Blessed intercession.

avalonracing
09-13-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm sorry to hear that.
I have a very ill mother and I've been spending a lot of time over the past year at Johns Hopkins Hospital. I've met lots of wonderful people who work there and who are being cared for there.
Terrible events like this can really bring out the best in family, friends and strangers. I hope that your friend and his family receive all the love and support that they deserve.

William
09-13-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm very sorry to hear this. We'll be thinking of him and his family and wish them the very best outcome possible.

William

TAW
09-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Praying for your friend. As a minister, it can be discouraging to
see all the religious "faith healers" on TV, knowing that there are no guarantees
the Lord will heal the physical body. However, the Lord does give believers
strength of soul and spirit to go through these times.

Please keep us updated.
Thanks

Dekonick
09-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Done.

Kevan
09-13-2008, 06:01 PM
tell your pal he has his brethern on his side. Hopefully things will improve as the swelling goes down and the healing begins. All the best.

hansolo758
09-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks so much, everyone, for your responses. I posted the link for this thread on my friend's website...your posts will be printed out and read to him by friends and family. They are truly grateful for your prayers and support.

Ginger
09-13-2008, 07:08 PM
but it finally looks like he's going to pull through. While we don't know if he'll walk again, we hope he'll be able to use his arms.

Strength to him and his family during this trying time. I'll include them in my prayers.

Nervous system injuries are very strange things. Sometimes over time things get far better than predicted, and they're doing amazing things these days in the research lab.

I wish him the best recovery, his past dedication to fitness will help him recover now.

Mary Ann

dsteady
09-13-2008, 10:10 PM
I will keep him, and his recovery, in my thoughts. I wish him the best.
daniel

deechee
09-14-2008, 08:29 AM
I wish your friend and his family the best of luck.

The only suggestion I have for you is that once the road to recovery begins, try to keep your friend motivated. I've seen some people make huge gains in the initial months, but stopping once they return to their daily lives (school/job) and put their rehabilitation on the side. Its an extremely long path of support your friend and his family will appreciate.

Pete Serotta
09-14-2008, 11:51 AM
I wish your friend and his family the best and they will be in my prayers...

Life can change in a moment and that it what makes friends and family all that is really important. The rest of the every day crap is just that.

PETE

ti_boi
09-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Mojo Sent........

Viper
09-15-2008, 08:50 PM
Raised Roman Catholic and the only part of that which mattered was the part I understood as a kid, Catholic. I asked my Mom when I was a kid what that meant, after all it didn't make sense, Roman? There I am, age six, Dad's brow furrowed as the US Marine in him can't believe his son is asking what the actual terminology of His religion means while in Church and Mom, quickly trying to defuse a potentially ugly situation. "It means you believe in God" Mom quickly whispered, Mass was about to begin, "Shhh".

So there I am, standing at attention, no slouching allowed in the presence of Dad, standing there, not Roman, having nothing to do with Rome, having watched Spartacus several times during Easter and Christmastime, having read a little about the Athenians and Spartans in my family's encyclopedia, knowing deep down I'd have done all I could to destroy that Roman empire; moreover, I know I am one hundred percent Irish and better yet, I believe in Darwin, Galileo, evolution, lungfish while doubting Genesis.

That was a long time ago. I can still smell the salt water which relaxed in the harbor just outside the parking lot and the creaky floors in this old, dark wooden Church, which was a converted boathouse. God and Noah would've been proud of that little Church, a relic where ships once stood and now a small kid doubted all the mouthbreathers around him, Roman Catholic, yeah.

Catholic. The word means whole. Can't walk around and say, "I'm from the Whole religion" as Tom Cruise might call or text you, luring you in, but yes, in no uncertain terms, the majority of the people in the world believe in kata, complete, holos, whole and while we may have generated the term, holy, which some frown upon, it's semantics, really, completely and wholly.

Yes it's been a long time since the roots of religion were created in that old boathouse and while my knowledge of science has grown, I still, in the words of Spartacus, "Know nothing." Knowing nothing, I accept there is something or someone which knows all; this is the generator of my faith. This along with the tiny, bright dots in the night sky. Oddly, the most powerful thing we know of, the sun, is forgotten, overlooked, only appreciated at sunrise or sunset. Many ancient civilizations prayed to the sun, now we pray to the Son. Still, when night comes, it creates doubts and why? Because it is at night, darkness when the human eye can see space and seeing space is like the kid from Kansas seeing the Pacific Ocean for the first time. The ocean, our origin said a Roman Catholic President, John F. Kennedy, "We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came." I wonder if the Pope angrily called the White House after that speech? Ironically, it was that same President who knew that space was the greatest of oceans and he demanded we learn to swim. We're still trying, it's our nature to swim, explore, from whence we truly came.

No, I don't believe in miracles, but I believe in science, medicine and the power of the human heart. It's imperative your friend believes, has complete faith that he will be well, be whole again.

While Kenny Loggins seemed to be on every 1980's soundtrack, creating pop, bubble gum tunes, once in a while he got it. He did a concert in the Redwoods in the early nineties. I was flicking the channels one night and stopped when this gig caught my ear. This Is It was just starting, the first few notes from the guitar resembled musical question marks and I was lured into a powerful song. I listened and wondered it's origin, the catalyst for his lyrics? Later I found out that Kenny had a friend who was diagnosed with a very serious illness, he went to visit him in the hospital and the sick friend had a defeated attitude. His friend was giving in, giving up. Mr. Loggins went home and wrote this song, This Is It. Perhaps your friend would enjoy the Loggins cd or dvd Outside from the Redwoods.

A young man in a hospital bed, where a doctor spoke of amputating a leg, a young man said no; that leg which science saved, an operation which went badly, left him in ICU for two weeks and a leg which today, angrily pedals a bike. No I don't spin and never will, my leg is filled with fire and that is what moves me, propelling my bike. Real men can yes, admit to enjoying Kenny Loggins, if your friend doesn't think so, have him drop me a PM.

In the meantime, listen, watch and get it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9KC9qu0eII

Kenny Loggins This Is It

There have been times in my life
I've been wondering why
Still somehow I believed
We'd always survive
Now I'm not so sure
You're waiting to hear
One good reason to try
Lord what more can I say
What's left to provide
You think that maybe it's over
Only if you want it to be yeah
Nowhere to run
Nowhere to hide
No time for wondering why
It's here the moment is now
You've got to decide
Let him believe
Or leave him behind
But keep me near in your heart
And know, whatever you do
I'm here by your side
You think that maybe it's over
Not if you don't want it to be
For once in your life, here's your miracle
Stand up and fight
This is it
Make no mistake where you are
This is it
Your back is to the corner
This is it
Don't be a fool anymore
This is it
The waiting is over
No one can tell you what you know
You make the choice of how it goes
It's not up to me this time
Comes a day in every life
This is it
Make no mistake where you are
This is it
You're going no further
This is it
Don't be a fool anymore
This is it
The waiting is over
This is it
Nowhere to run
Nowhere to hide
This is it
Your back is to the corner
This is it
Don't have to tell you
You've been a fool all your life
But the waiting is over
This is it

Bibliography:

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:PYoSa8vIyqIJ:www.orthodoxinfo.com/general/soborny.aspx+catholic+whole&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:cMP5ZjfkVSIJ:www.yourdictionary.com/catholic+catholic+definition+whole&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wholly

conorb
09-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Raj,

I'm very sorry to hear about this.

All my best to you, your friend and his family.

conorb

corky
09-15-2008, 09:22 PM
cool post Viper, I hope the friend gets to read those fine words. They certainly meant something to me.....

hansolo758
09-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Viper:

Thank you. I will certainly post your remarks on my friend's website for him and his family to see.

weisan
09-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Raj-pal, your friend and his family are in our prayers.