PDA

View Full Version : OT: I don't like Ike!

BumbleBeeDave
09-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Whoa Momma! Here he comes--and he's pissed! :eek:

I think there's gonna be a lot of people hurtin' by tomorrow, but if you're riding the right direction, think of the tailwind . . .

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/OneKM.aspx?location=USTX0499&animate=true

My thoughts and prayers are with them!

BBD

RPS
09-12-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm surprised I still have power and Internet since the wind is starting to pick up, but it's likely just a matter of time. The estimate from the power company is that some areas may be without power for weeks.

I'm getting local reports that some who refused to evacuate along the coast were asked to write their social security numbers on their arms. If that didn't make them change their minds about staying nothing will.

BumbleBeeDave
09-12-2008, 08:36 PM
At the office today we were getting photos very early of all the yahoos who just couldn't resist going down to the beach to get a good look. I shudder to think of what will be on the wire tomorrow . . .

BBD

Jack Brunk
09-12-2008, 08:44 PM
in the San Fernado Valley in Socal. Massive head on train wreck(metrolink vs freight) with hundreds of people on the trains. I don't really know what to say.

Stay safe.

My 86 yr mom is hunkered down just outside of Houston and She's tougher than Ike for sure.

cadence90
09-12-2008, 08:53 PM
in the San Fernado Valley in Socal. Massive head on train wreck(metrolink vs freight) with hundreds of people on the trains. I don't really know what to say.
than Ike for sure.
That really looks awful.
6 dead, dozens hurt right now.
I hope it doesn't get worse than that.

clweed
09-12-2008, 09:05 PM
The winds are picking up here in Friendswood, very light rain But the Eye is heading in our direction.

Fixed
09-12-2008, 09:27 PM
you should not go outside even after the storm ....
we hide in the bathroom here

RPS
09-12-2008, 09:31 PM
At the office today we were getting photos very early of all the yahoos who just couldn't resist going down to the beach to get a good look. I shudder to think of what will be on the wire tomorrow . . .

BBDDave, I’d bet most of those guys are OK since they could still leave the sea wall area until later in the day. The ones likely in trouble are those who refused to leave their homes built right along the ocean – often on stilts – thinking they would be high enough. Once they committed to stay and the surrounding roads flooded, there is not much that can be done to get them out. Actually, the Coast Guard went in a plucked a bunch who had refused to leave and then changed their minds; but my understanding is that once the winds picked up enough even the coast guard helicopters would be grounded. I don't know if some were left behind or not.

It's hard to help people that don't want to help themselves or think they know more than everyone else.

Louis
09-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Dave, there you go again, starting another Political Thread .... ;)

cadence90
09-12-2008, 11:41 PM
Wow, this one looks pretty bad right now.
I really hope people get out and that lives are not lost.
What a terrible time for residents of these regions, with three of these beasts in a row. :(

As an architect, I would also bereave the destruction of the old traditional Galveston stilt houses RPS mentioned, which are truly beautiful, unique, and have inspired many major architects from all over the world.

Let's hope that both residents and their buildings suffer the least possible damage.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/157/401973759_240f61064c.jpg?v=0

RPS
09-26-2008, 11:51 AM
This is what can happen to greenbelt trails when the eye of a hurricane passes over them – making them impassible. And since overhead power lines often run along the same wooded corridors, fallen trees did quite a job on them too.

Fortunately most bike trails were reopened within 3 or 4 days; much better than the 2 weeks it took to restore power (some neighbors still without power). Overall really lucky that we had no significant damage.