PDA

View Full Version : did I do the right thing?

george
09-12-2008, 07:14 PM
This after noon I was on a routine 20 mile bike ride. I ride on Chicago's Lake front trail which I access through a tunnel. After my ride I get to the edge of the tunnel and come to a complete stop then proceed to go and the same time a driver starts to go. She hit my rear wheel as I passed in front of her. I fall off the bike she comes out "Im sorry, Im sorry, I didnt see you are you OK?" My jersey or shorts were not ripped but I had a small rasberry on my upper thigh and a small cut on my elbow. I was fine for the most part. I examined my Serotta the wheels were fine the frame seemed fine on inspection, Then I said "Im OK" I will ride away and you drive away but please more fuc@in carefull next time" "I will I will, thank you" she said.

Now as Im riding home I was thinking to my self if I did the right thing? Should I have gotten her name and licence plate just in case there is damage to my car or there is something wrong with me other than a few minor scrapes? This was my very first collision with a car and Im not sure if I handled it correctly?

Any advice please fellow forumites? :)

Pete Serotta
09-12-2008, 07:19 PM
There will be many opinions BUT I think you did the right thing and also helped her to be more attentive to bikers.

The only other thing you might have done was get her NAME, Drivers License ##, and Plate ##.

Glad you are ok

PETE

Fixed
09-12-2008, 07:21 PM
you might still need a witness
cheers imho

Pete Serotta
09-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Yes. since it was your word vs hers AND luckily nobody was hurt - not much of a story for others to become involved in

you might still need a witness
cheers imho

Lazy Bill
09-12-2008, 07:28 PM
I probably would have done the same thing.
If you took enough time to check out your rig thoroughly, and she waited while you did, I wouldn't give it any more thought.

WadePatton
09-12-2008, 07:45 PM
I probably would have done the same thing.
If you took enough time to check out your rig thoroughly, and she waited while you did, I wouldn't give it any more thought.
yep, me three.

dekindy
09-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Glad you are okay.

Nobody was hurt and she was distressed that she might have hurt you and also apologized. Because of that your profanity was inappropriate and you might even have thanked her for stopping. Incidents like this happen quickly and after all was said and done you handled yourself pretty well and she should get kudos for stopping.

I had a like incident at an intersection only there was no collision because I stopped pedaling and turned my wheel to avoid the car. I had come to a complete stop and thought I was there first and made eye contact with everyone and they knew I was going first. I put my head down and sprinted through the intersection as fast as I could so I would not hold up the cars. Luckily I heard(did not see because I had my head down) the car coming and reacted in time.

I don't know if the car did not see me or didn't care. It really did not matter as long as I did not get hit. I don't think I have forgotten to keep my head up at an intersection since.

Replay the event in your mind and try and figure out whether you kept your head up and your eyes on the car. This may make you much safer at intersections in the future. If you did have your head up then there was probably nothing else you could have done to avoid it and just got lucky that the timing was not a split second less in your favor.

R2D2
09-12-2008, 08:04 PM
NO!

You should have started crying, "Oh my neck, my neck!!!!!!!!" :)

johnnymossville
09-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Sounds like you did the right thing. Glad you are alright.

BumbleBeeDave
09-12-2008, 08:18 PM
. . . just to be sure. In the meantime, you both learned something. No harm done . . .

BBD

Blue Jays
09-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Glad to hear you're OK following the accident

Record license plate, year, make, model, and VIN
Secure her name, address, and D.L.
Obtain her insurance information
Offer your contact information to the motorist in exchange
Consistently avoid profanity

markie
09-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Umm,

If you had asked 10 weeks ago I wold have said yes.

Then 10 weeks ago I got hit. I thought I was fine, but my bike looked a mess and I was a bit shaken up, but fine. Luckily the driver stopped and so did a witness.

Turns out I tore a ligament in my thumb and I broke a bone in my hand which went un-noticed until two weeks ago. If I had not gone through the whole police/ambulance thing I would have been much worse off.

stackie
09-13-2008, 01:22 AM
Glad you're ok. I just have one question. What would damage to your car have to do with someone hitting you while on your bike?

"Should I have gotten her name and licence plate just in case there is damage to my car"

I usually go for getting their name and license. Two reasons. 1. Just in case you get home and something is wrong with your bike. 2. It probably scares them a bit to have someone ask for their identifying info.

Jon

george
09-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Thank you for the advice. Whan I used the F word I was not yelling it or using it in a profane way. I use it all the time as an adjective! "I will ride away and you will drive away and please be more fuc*in carefull"

In retrospect I should of gotten her name and contact information. But thank god no one was hurt. :)

Chad Engle
09-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Umm,

If you had asked 10 weeks ago I wold have said yes.

Then 10 weeks ago I got hit. I thought I was fine, but my bike looked a mess and I was a bit shaken up, but fine. Luckily the driver stopped and so did a witness.

Turns out I tore a ligament in my thumb and I broke a bone in my hand which went un-noticed until two weeks ago. If I had not gone through the whole police/ambulance thing I would have been much worse off.

I'm interested in how you did not notice a broken bone and torn ligament for 8 weeks?

markie
09-13-2008, 09:12 AM
The ligament was noticed immediately, it showed up in an X-ray. I was immobilized, cast and then custom splint.

Only after immobilization did I realize that my hand still did not feel right. It took an MRI to see a very fine fracture of my hook of hamate.

Does that make more sense.

Chad Engle
09-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Much more sense, thanks for the clarification.