PDA

View Full Version : making friends here

Ken Robb
09-12-2008, 02:58 PM
I have met so many neat people through this forum that I'm afraid to list them because I would probably forget someone and hurt his feelings. I have loaned bikes to people I only "knew" from the forum. I have borrowed bikes the same way.

I've been in pals' homes and vice-versa. This week we had dinner at one of our favorite Italian cafes with a forumite and his SO. He was in SD on "bike business" and had asked for advice on resaturants, hotels, etc. I got so hungry writing my recommendations I suggested we all eat together and it was great---well at least from our perspective. If they don't call us when they come back in December we'll know they were just being polite. :cool:

I try to be careful with postings knowing full well that my "rapier wit" may be a PITA to someone not seeing my wry grin as I type it. Even so, I've peeved a few folks. Only a couple of them really deserved it.

Chill: be nice: give friendship a chance. :beer:

Blue Jays
09-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Excellent post!
:beer:

dave thompson
09-12-2008, 04:28 PM
<snip>..........<snip> I try to <snip>........<snip>be a PITA............<snip>

You'll get your chance to prove it soon, I'll be down to visit my son at Miramar. :p

Sandy
09-12-2008, 04:45 PM
You'll get your chance to prove it soon, I'll be down to visit my son at Miramar. :p

He just decided to move! :)

Simple Sandy

girlie
09-12-2008, 04:56 PM
At first I was all weirded-out about meeting people from the forum in person.
Glad I got over that...I've met some great people. Having lunch and a ride with one tomorrow:)
girlie

TMB
09-12-2008, 05:04 PM
I have met so many neat people through this forum that I'm afraid to list them because I would probably forget someone and hurt his feelings. I have loaned bikes to people I only "knew" from the forum. I have borrowed bikes the same way.

I've been in pals' homes and vice-versa. This week we had dinner at one of our favorite Italian cafes with a forumite and his SO. He was in SD on "bike business" and had asked for advice on resaturants, hotels, etc. I got so hungry writing my recommendations I suggested we all eat together and it was great---well at least from our perspective. If they don't call us when they come back in December we'll know they were just being polite. :cool:

I try to be careful with postings knowing full well that my "rapier wit" may be a PITA to someone not seeing my wry grin as I type it. Even so, I've peeved a few folks. Only a couple of them really deserved it.

I've not met anyone from here, solely from here.

I have had the chance to meet with , and ride with people from RBR, who also happen to post here.

They have become, probably, my best friends. Even though I see them rarely.

If you get the chance, take it.

In fact I am heading down for the weekend, next weekend, to the Wenatchee area in Washington state. Meet up with RBR folk ( and our BigBill) to ride.

I can hardly wait.

After that I go to AZ and meet up with bigbossman, zmudshark and BArry 1021 to ride and tell lies for a solid week. That will be great.

shinomaster
09-12-2008, 05:45 PM
I started out here as a troll. I'll admit it..And since then I've made all sorts of friends over the years. What could be better?
Girlie you should be careful out there!

saab2000
09-12-2008, 07:31 PM
The internet has allowed me to meet several like-minded folks whom I never would have met otherwise.

I will not meet all of them, but I have met some giants and the internet, with this and some other fora, have made it possible. I met them and the 'getting to know them' period was greatly reduced by the interaction that has taken place here.

WadePatton
09-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Saab is one of my buds--and he don't even know it. ;) Have met lots of folks formerly only known by internet--mostly at the big show, but have plans to meet and RIDE with many more in the next several months. Come to the next Asheville gathering for some Southern Hills and a chance to meet this fat-tire lover...

Has been great, even though I'm a newcomer here and we're so spread out over the country and globe.

Ride and Smile.

Ken Robb
09-12-2008, 10:23 PM

we look forward to your arrival and you may have your pick from the stable. We'll do a geezer ride for beer and fish tacos. :beer:

Ken Robb
09-12-2008, 10:24 PM
He just decided to move! :)

Simple Sandy
Heck, he used to live here.

girlie
09-12-2008, 10:30 PM
I started out here as a troll. I'll admit it..And since then I've made all sorts of friends over the years. What could be better?
Girlie you should be careful out there!

I just went to dinner with my forum friend - who is a girl (and not that kind of dinner)....they are not all men Shino...though I guess women could hurt me too.
Oh and I got to see False_Aesth and his work at his graduate thesis show....it has been cool meeting people here. Something new for me and a great way to get to know people. Hell William is going to teach me how to work with glass...I hoping to be his apprentice.

People are good :)
girlie

Blue Jays
09-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Finger Lakes Ramble was a cool scene with you hepcats.

cadence90
09-12-2008, 10:46 PM
I just went to dinner with my forum friend - who is a girl (and not that kind of dinner)....they are not all men Shino...though I guess women could hurt me too.
Oh and I got to see False_Aesth and his work at his graduate thesis show....it has been cool meeting people here. Something new for me and a great way to get to know people. Hell William is going to teach me how to work with glass...I hoping to be his apprentice.

girlie
+1.

I don't personally know anyone from this forum, but I respect just about every poster here, regardless of their position on the various issues discussed. I like the variety of opinions, as long as there isn't a bunch of talk-radio flaming.

I find your posts cogent, as valid as anyone else's, and I don't see any "harm" etc. in any of them. I don't get the hard feelings that some seem to express.

Stick around. Contribute as you do. Keep the faith. :)

sbornia
09-12-2008, 11:53 PM
This week we had dinner at one of our favorite Italian cafes with a forumite and his SO. He was in SD on "bike business" and had asked for advice on resaturants, hotels, etc. I got so hungry writing my recommendations I suggested we all eat together and it was great---well at least from our perspective. If they don't call us when they come back in December we'll know they were just being polite. :cool:

That would be me, and we had a great time! You're one of the first forumites I've met for real, and it has confirmed my gut positive feeling about this place and the people in it. If we come back in December to pick up my new frame, it'll be in part *because* of your camaraderie and hospitality -- otherwise I might as well have the frame shipped :)

mikki
09-13-2008, 12:52 AM
So glad you guys all had a wonderful time!! Sbornia, I want to hear about your experience with Bill Holland....obviously you are purchasing one of his precious bikes. I really cannot imagine someone spending time with the man and NOT buying one of his bikes. He is a master builder and good, good person.

What bike did you choose?

Agree that there are some fine folks on this forum.

shinomaster
09-13-2008, 02:56 PM
girlie

+1