PDA

View Full Version : OT for Mac users: bad Leopard update bug!

BumbleBeeDave
09-12-2008, 11:50 AM
This morning one of my staffers used Apple's own Software Update program to download a suggested update for OS X Leopard. When he applied it he erased his whole hard drive--or so it seemed. Our tech services guy here managed to restore it with a fix that's listed on this web site:

http://www.locallytype.com/2008/01/03/setup-assistant-loop-bug-endless-misery-with-mac-os-x-leopard/

It seems to be some sort of set-up loop and is not that new. My guy had not updated his laptop in some months and was just trying to do the right thing--get caught up. Oops.

Hope this may save some of you some grief.

BBD

CNY rider
09-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Aye carumba!

I usually wait a week or two to take the downloads because sometimes one comes out with a "minor" bug or issue.

This isn't what I would call minor!

jhcakilmer
09-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Wow, that is odd, I keep mine up-to-date automatically, and haven't had any issue.

What Apple model is he using, maybe it's specific for certain models?

dauwhe
09-12-2008, 12:37 PM
No issues here... That article is from January, and doesn't even mention which point upgrade he was using. Haven't seen too much about things like this on Macintouch...

Dave

rwsaunders
09-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Every time that "bee" avatar comes on my Mac screen, I get an error message. :cool:

BumbleBeeDave
09-12-2008, 12:58 PM
. . . but both my work and home machines are still on Tiger because I've seen no concrete reason to upgrade. My staff's laptops were upgraded to Leopard because they had to have that to use the wireless modem cards we bought hem for transmitting photos from the field.

My guy had not upgraded his 12" MacBook since early this year. But I felt that if my posting something saved even one forum member from getting zapped, then it was worth the bandwidth . . .

BBD

TMB
09-12-2008, 12:59 PM
I finally got around to installing a network drive about 2 weeks ago and set Time Machine up on all of the family's machines.

I am very glad I finally did it. Wish I had done it sooner, but at least I now breathe easier.

keno
09-12-2008, 01:21 PM
...and here I've been led to believe that MAC was perfection incarnate. A crack in the facade?

keno

benb
09-12-2008, 01:25 PM
I ran into a more serious error when upgrading my Mac Pro (Intel) from Tiger to Leopard... but that was way way back when Leopard came out. And it got traced down to a hack I had installed.. not really apple's fault. And it was easy to fix.

No problems with my other machine (G4).

There are problems.. the point is there are less of them then windows.

And overall.. holy cow is software update less painful on the mac.

Our whole office has all our PCs bugging us to install XP SP3.. and none of us are doing it cause it breaks a bunch of our software. And yet it keeps bugging!

Lincoln
09-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Dave, I appreciate the warning. With my PC I've always waited a while before installing updates with my Mac I've more or less let it do what it wants.

keno, I had to re-boot my MacBook Pro earlier this week. It was a big occasion, I called some friends to let them know. Then again, it was my Microsoft Entourage program that was having problems :rolleyes: .

I'm still not drinking the kool-aid, but so far (~6 months) my conversion to Mac has been much more positive than not (and this as a former programmer for windows based software). It's still a computer and has its share of idiosyncrasies but I like it. To me the biggest annoyance is how Apple tries to integrate various programs to keep you from buying 3rd party software (hmm, where have we seen that before?).

weatherman
09-12-2008, 04:40 PM
. . . but both my work and home machines are still on Tiger because I've seen no concrete reason to upgrade. My staff's laptops were upgraded to Leopard because they had to have that to use the wireless modem cards we bought hem for transmitting photos from the field.

My guy had not upgraded his 12" MacBook since early this year. But I felt that if my posting something saved even one forum member from getting zapped, then it was worth the bandwidth . . .

BBD

On my Imac or Macbook, both running OS X Leopard and just installing updates as they are pushed out. Wondering if there was some other "user error"??? Agree on the later posters comments about the Mac not being completely issue free, but certainly "less" than a Windows PC. I say this having been a PC user since the mid 80s (owner/user of one of the first IBM PC XT machines) that bought my first Mac just 5 months ago (and already have 2 now!)

:)

BumbleBeeDave
09-12-2008, 06:36 PM
. . . and this appears to be a bug specific to MacBooks and Leopard v10.5.

Given the knowledge he has demonstrated repeatedly to keep my staff and I up and running, I'll take his word that he knows whereof he speaks.

Sorry if I caused anyone any undue indigestion. Just trying to play it safe!

BBD