PDA

View Full Version : Terraplane-Triple Chainrings

richard p
10-31-2004, 01:49 AM
Dave Kirk is currently building me a Terraplane. Delivery is expected by early December. I'm considering triple chainrings. I've not used this type of set-up in the past, although I have used "compact" cranks. On my Serotta, I currently use 46/36 chainrings. However, on the Terraplane, for a number of reasons, including age (64), I'd like to have lower gearing. What's available in a48/36/24, or similar arrangement? I prefer Campy brakes and levers (Ergo), but if I must use Shimano, that is ok, too.

dirtdigger88
10-31-2004, 07:21 AM
As the man himself- he is about the most accessable framebuilder I have ever seen or heard of.

Jason

Dustin
10-31-2004, 08:16 AM
You might try the TA Zephyr. You can get it in just about any length and combination of rings you want, and it looks gorgeous to my eye:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/zephyr.asp

Dustin (who just received his non-terraplane Kirk but has yet to build it because he is waiting for a Phil bottom bracket to arrive in the mail :D ).

richard p
10-31-2004, 08:20 AM
I have discussed it with Dave, who had some thoughts but also indicated he wasn't completely informed on triples. His Terraplane has a double. He suggested I discuss it with my bike shop, which is City Cycles in San Francisco. I'll do that, but also hope to learn from the folks that visit this site.

Thanks for your help.

davep
10-31-2004, 09:58 AM
I have a Sugino XD on one bike that is just fine. It comes with 46/36/24, but you can easily and cheaply replace the 46 with a 48 or 50. The Zephyr is a beautiful crank, but is no longer being made so availability is limited. If you can find one, it is also very expensive. The rplacement for the Zephyr is the Carmina, which has a number of different spiders available so you can find almost any combination you like. No personal experience with the Carmina.

Rollin'
10-31-2004, 10:02 AM
I have discussed it with Dave, who had some thoughts but also indicated he wasn't completely informed on triples. His Terraplane has a double. He suggested I discuss it with my bike shop, which is City Cycles in San Francisco. I'll do that, but also hope to learn from the folks that visit this site.

Thanks for your help.

City Cycle is a killer shop!!!! :)

"I am Rollin', and I have approved this message."