PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Assignment in UK -- Advice Sought

bronk
09-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Folks: I'm currently on a temporary work assignment in the NE part of the UK (Middlesbrough Area) and am going through cycling withdrawals. I'll be here 2 weeks on/1 week off for the next several months and I'm desperately in need of a bike. I do mostly road cycling but would be happy with a mountain bike, cross bike, anything. I typically ride a 57 square road bike.

Any suggestions on bike shops or best ways to rent a bike in this part of the country? HELP. Shipping over one of my bikes is possible but I'm worried about damage.

-- guy

Chris
09-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Post on the cyclingforums.com board or weight weenies. There are a ton of Brits on those boards and I think they will be able to help you out.

bronk
09-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Thanks for that lead. Unfortunately, the internet filter here at work restricts access to those sites and I have no internet access where I'm living yet.

Any brits from the NE on this board?

gdw
09-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Check Craigslist and newspaper classified ads. Used bikes are pretty reasonably priced by our standards and buying one would probably be less expensive than renting in the long run. You can also sell before you leave and get back most if not all of your investment.

sailorboy
09-12-2008, 10:42 AM
my advice? Sit back and enjoy living in a country where their prospective leaders aren't into re-living the crusades holy wars and potentially starting a war with Russia.

thread hijak off..

pale scotsman
09-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Dude try to catch a Middlesbrough football game at Riverside. They are in the premier league and you owe it to yourself to go to at least a match!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team/results?id=369&&cc=3888

Chris
09-12-2008, 11:02 AM
my advice? Sit back and enjoy living in a country where their prospective leaders aren't into re-living the crusades holy wars and potentially starting a war with Russia.

thread hijak off..

That is some good stuff...

gdw
09-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Actually it has no place in this thread. It kind of sad that you feel that it's necessary to interject your political opinions into a bike thread.

Idris Icabod
09-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Bronk,

I am originally from Hull, a little south of where you are, but now a resident of AZ. I can't give advice on shops in the Middlesborough area but the decent more established shops around here would hook you up with a bike on a rental basis. Either that or they always have a network of cyclists and could contact one who would probably be willing to loan you one (I borrowed an Isaac from a rider via a shop in Hull). The best shops in England are invariably the ones named after a person as they are usually years and years old and have a club associated with them. I am actually typing this from England as I was on a business trip to Sweden and managed to fly back to follow stage 5 of the Tour of Britain yesterday.

Incidentally, the tour was excellent. I met and had my picture taken with Tyler Hamilton and Fred Rodriguez of Rock Racing, most of the Garmin team (Dan Martin, Julian Dean, Big Maggie, David Millar and Matt White). It is the first time I have ever done anything like this but I felt like a giddy kid. I was mostly lost for words and was pretty star-struck. I think my favourite picture is with Magnus Backstead, he is huge and slapped his arms around me and smiled away but every single rider was very accomodating. Matt White chatted away, super nice guy, extremely sarcastic. Told me that he and Jonathon Vaughters were planning a come back (very funny guy). The young kids from the Australian Institute of Sports were also great, they didn't have the big bus and were getting changed on the street. They were great, letting me sit amongst them for a picture so that when they become household names then I can claim that I hung about with them! I think the accessibilty to the riders is what makes this sport unique and I have to say that the riders attitude is a great credit to their respective sponsors. I hope that you managed to catch it today whilst it was up in your area.

Idris Icabod
09-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Two other things:

Don't call anyone a 'monkey hanger' as that is offensive, but it isn't racist. It describes the locals and is an inference to them being stupid.

Don't go and watch Middlesbrough as they are rubbish. I recommend that you expend the effort and drive down to Hull to support 'The Tigers' or drive over to Newcastle tomorrow and watch them maul Newcastle.

Dekonick
09-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Try a few hand pulled ale's - a true treat.

as far as bikes go - I have no answer.

bronk
09-14-2008, 04:08 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Hand pulled ales are certainly on the list. The premier league isn't yet but with enough hand pulled ales anything is possible. Visited Scarborough, Robin Hoods Bay and Whitby yesterday. Wish i had a bike. Here are a few pics

Blue Jays
09-14-2008, 06:02 AM
Check Craigslist and newspaper classified ads. Used bikes are pretty reasonably priced by our standards and buying one would probably be less expensive than renting in the long run.
You can also sell before you leave and get back most if not all of your investment.+1 :)

One could purchase a used bike, stay in good condition by rambling around the countryside, and you could even leave it with a new friend there for safekeeping until you revisit the area in the future.
Best wishes on your job assignment and have a great time exploring your new locale!

acorn_user
09-14-2008, 08:31 AM
I don't know any Middlesborough shops. In Newcastle, Denton cycles usually has a store room full of decent second hand bikes. I don't know about craigslist being a well-used option in Britain. I would try the local newspaper and there are often special classifieds papers. Also, check local bike shops and see if they know of any. MSteels in Newcastle had a bulletin board outside.
You can also do a distance search on ebay.co.uk, which turned up this in Blyth
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JOE-WAUGH-GOLD-MEDAL-CUSTOM-BUILT-RACING-BIKE-CYCLE-24_W0QQitemZ310081820257QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item31 0081820257&_trkparms=72%3A12|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14