PDA

View Full Version : Compact crankset and braze on question

bert07
09-12-2008, 12:06 AM
I will soon receive a frame with braze on hanger for front derailleur, only I have a compact centaur group with clamp on derailleur. I could wait and see but want to get ready, if I buy a braze on compact derailleur should I expect it all to work OK, or am I up for a crankset with standard chainrings.

rcnute
09-12-2008, 12:30 AM
A 50 tooth ring should work. I had trouble with a braze-on and a 48 tooth ring. But I didn't file it down, so that might work too.

Ray
09-12-2008, 02:51 AM
I will soon receive a frame with braze on hanger for front derailleur, only I have a compact centaur group with clamp on derailleur. I could wait and see but want to get ready, if I buy a braze on compact derailleur should I expect it all to work OK, or am I up for a crankset with standard chainrings.
If its a newer frame, I really HOPE the braze-on is low enough to work with compact cranks with smaller rings. The braze-ons on older frames could be a real problem with 48 tooth rings, depending on derailures.

-Ray

victoryfactory
09-12-2008, 07:08 AM
I have run compact cranks (FSA ) on my DA setup without moving
the FD down at all. This worked very well.
I switched to a compact setup for a trip out west and forgot to lower
the FD. I never even noticed a shifting difference.

I'm not advocating leaving the FD in the original position, I'm just sayin'....

VF

sc53
09-12-2008, 08:31 AM
The braze-on on my 96 CSI had to be filed down a bit to work with a 48 tooth TA chainring. You may or may not have a problem which may or may not be correctable by filing!! Peter White helped me figure it out over the phone and then my LBS did the filing to make it all work.

jmc22
09-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Not sure about Shimano or Campy but SRAM (Red) has 2 different mounting points on the front derailleur for traditional and compact set-ups.

RPS
09-12-2008, 02:47 PM
I will soon receive a frame with braze on hanger for front derailleur, only I have a compact centaur group with clamp on derailleur. I could wait and see but want to get ready, if I buy a braze on compact derailleur should I expect it all to work OK, or am I up for a crankset with standard chainrings.The only way to know for certain is to try it.

By the way, if you want to go to larger chainrings, you don't have to replace the crankset (not sure if that's what you implied). I have a 54 tooth chainring on a compact triple on a tandem. It's easy to increase size but not the other way around.

bert07
09-14-2008, 01:07 AM
Thankyou for the responses