PDA

View Full Version : Lessons from long climbs and long rides

tv_vt
09-11-2008, 09:35 PM
This afternoon, I played hooky and went for a ride. Was hankering for some long climbs, so I drove an hour or so to central New Hampshire and rode three long climbs, starting in Wentworth, NH - Mt. Moosilauke (Rt 118) from the west side, down into Lincoln, up the west side of the Kankamangus Highway, and then turned around, ending with the climb up the east side of Moosilauke and back down the west side. Each climb was 6-10 miles or so. Total ride was 5 hours and 78 miles.
There is something about long climbs that reveal things about your bike, position, and mental fortitude that you just don't notice on shorter rides. Little aches and pains grow into big ones, particular ticks about a bike grow to be major annoyances. I found myself debating the length of my cranks (177.5), my gearing, bottom bracket friction of outboard BBs versus the old Octalink BBs, seat height, drink mix choice (that seemed to be giving me a bloated feel), sunglasses, and so on, while being grateful for the booties I packed and the high speed stability of my bike. Does anyone else go through this kind of thing?
I was so wiped, and relieved, to reach the top of the third and last climb, with only 18 miles of downhill and level terrain to go. No holding back - hit 48 mph going down the west side of Moosilauke.
On a general note, it was a beautiful day, sunny and cool. Light traffic as the fall color hasn't yet come to the White Mountains. I decided the ride was a good, cheap alternative to riding in the Alps (though Gothard's photos still make me wish I was there.)
BTW, bike was a Look 481SL. No pics unfortunately.
Anyway, after these long rides, I always seem to make some minor adjustments in things, searching for that perfect set-up.

Cheers,

Thom

paczki
09-11-2008, 10:02 PM
Great post.

regularguy412
09-11-2008, 10:13 PM
I agree that you definitely find out things about yourself on challenging rides. As far as position on the bike,, what's comfy and efficient on some rides is not necessarily so on others. A position that works well in crit racing is not always the best for long distances. I think that a good position is actually a compromise, in a way. I think we're all pretty aware that a 'good' position can also change from the beginning of the year compared to where it finally ends up near season's end. These are the types of things than riders who are new to the sport have yet to appreciate. I think that's one reason why that new bikes are sold. It's the evolution of body and mind as a rider 'matures' and does the requisite mileage. I can tell you right now, the best decision I've ever made as a cyclist was to get a good Serotta fit and get on my CSI. Before that, I enjoyed riding, but hated the pounding my body was taking. The right position and the right bike made a huge difference. I might not have stayed in the game, had I not gotten things sorted out. One has to do the necessary work, learn about one's self and make good decisions about what changes to make in order to get better.

Mike in AR:beer:

sn69
09-11-2008, 11:40 PM
I was on the twosome that crossed the Front Range. Daytime, beautiful/breathtaking scenery. Dead legs. Scorched lungs at altitude. With each pull on the bike I rode faster and faster, trying to end the suffering. We crested, came down the Eastern Slope, and I took over for the final pull into the time station.

...Just in time to get the dry-line convective downdrafts in my face the entire final 15 miles. I had to laugh. 30 minutes early I was wanking about the climbs as we switchbacked our way through simply stunning alpine vistas.

Climbs are far more worth-while than we realize while we're climbing....

;)

Louis
09-11-2008, 11:54 PM
starting in Wentworth, NH - Mt. Moosilauke (Rt 118) from the west side, down into Lincoln, up the west side of the Kankamangus Highway, and then turned around, ending with the climb up the east side of Moosilauke and back down the west side

Sounds like a great ride.

Moosilauke reminds me of my college days - the Ravine Lodge, green eggs and stories of Doc Benton at the top of the headwall...

Blue Jays
09-12-2008, 12:18 AM
tv_vt, great insightful post!

Extensive climbing (several hours+) definitely encourages significant thinking while atop the bicycle...especially if the grade is not so steep that one is panting in near-exhaustion. If it's challenging work, yet manageable, lots of productive thoughts can be processed. It sounds like we have both experienced this feeling. Memorable to me was climbing at places like Berthoud Pass, Loveland Pass, Independence Pass, and places like that while visiting Colorado. LOTS of time to consider fitness and arrangement on the bicycle.

A trip to New Hampshire to see the Kancamagus Scenic Byway (http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2458/stories/47172) is a destination I truly hope to visit soon! To a person, everyone who has told me about that place has been completely enthusiastic.

false_Aest
09-12-2008, 12:21 AM
I totally understand. On a long ride this summer I realized that I hate my sunglasses. Now, before any ride, I say a special prayer with the hope that they'll break so as to justify buying something new.

Wr0d.

Climb01742
09-12-2008, 04:42 AM
really wonderful post. long climbs really do reveal a lot. partly, perhaps, because of the speed we're riding. things happen more slowly. we can notice stuff, process stuff, and stuff happens repeatedly, so we can see if it was a one-off or a pattern. i also find that on long climbs, my mind and body get synched up in a deeper way and stuff gets revealed.

keno
09-12-2008, 05:46 AM
The aspect of taxing climbs that fascinates me most is the debate between the "angel" and the "devil" on my shoulders. One says "keep up the effort, push harder" and the other says "stop this nonsense".

For me, considering aspects of the bike and riding position happen before the real pain begins.

keno

Ray
09-12-2008, 06:08 AM
I don't seem to do much long-distance riding anymore - 40-50 seems to be about as long as I like to stay out these days. But up until last year, I always did lots of long rides including a few centuries every year. Really long rides are what you need to really dial in your bike - at least the bike you use for long rides. What feels fine at mile 40 may not feel fine at mile 80. When you can do a century and nothing hurts but your legs, you're dialed.

In terms of climbs, around here, they tend to be short but quite steep and fairly choppy - steep, less steep, VERY steep, steep, very steep, not that steep, etc. In other words, a lot of small adjustments all the time. Very tough, if not impossible, to get into a good rhythm. When I've done long distance touring in other areas with steadier climbs, I have to say I really came to like them. On the few long steep climbs I've done (anything over a mile or two and consistently over 10%), there's no pleasure in it - I just want to survive and get them done. But I've done lots of long climbs in the 6-8% range and really dug them because you can find the right gear, find the level of effort you can maintain, get into a good rhythm, and just lose yourself in it. I never minded that kind of climb unless I was trying to stay with someone I shouldn't have been trying to stay with. I find that the shorter steeper climbs around here are really good training for the longer, gentler climbs I've found in the Rockies and in other parts of the east.

-Ray

Karin Kirk
09-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Great post!

I agree wholeheartedly, especially when riding solo. If there are other people on the ride, you can't help but make comparisons between yourself and them, which dilutes the introspection and can fuel the angel/devil struggle. But a long solo climb is a beautiful thing. I've been climbing lots this summer to get ready for the alps and I have been really enjoying that focus. I'm not a natural climber but at least now I've reached a zone where I enjoy it and feel comfortable and confident. Good stuff.

Andreas
09-12-2008, 08:49 AM
Anyway, after these long rides, I always seem to make some minor adjustments in things, searching for that perfect set-up.

Cheers,

Thom

It's a nice loop, kind of my home turf. I ride it 4-5 times each year starting out of Hanover, NH. Usually leave around 4:30, hitting the Moose around 6:30. It carries it's name for a good reason, you always see moose there in early morning. This spring (May) a black bear walked across the street less than 30 feet away.

But I never think about the bike or setup. The ride is too nice.
I take nuts, dried fruit and water - not much to think about. I ride the same setup and don't question it any more. If I struggle to ride up Ascutney in in 39x27 I know it's me, not the setup or the crank - not much to think about.

I used to tinker with all that stuff - now I just ride.

theprep
09-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Interesting post. I completely agree about revealing bike issues.

I rode 3 hours solo yesterday and convinced myself my handlebars were twisted to the left. An hour later I was convinced they were twisted to the right. Doh.

When I got home I left the bars alone but had to increase the pedal spring tension due to a "click" I think I heard and put on a cassette with an 18 tooth cog because the 17-19 jump was driving me nuts.

All healthy obsessions I think?

konstantkarma
09-12-2008, 09:30 AM
I think that there is a lot of psychology involved in climbing. I love long climbs, but I hate blowing up on them. Therefore, I try to get as relaxed as possible, and to set my effort at a level I feel I can sustain for the whole climb. Sometimes I am successful, and sometimes not. The psychological part for me comes in when I want to push to climb faster, and I have to reel myself in to not cross into that unpleasant threshold. This usually happens when I am riding with soemeone who is lighter and faster than I am. I rarely feel uncomfortable in my position while climbing, its the uncomfortable feeling of redlining my heart rate etc. that I try to avoid, because it is hard to recover once you cross into that zone.

Onno
09-12-2008, 09:45 AM
A neat thing about a very hilly ride as opposed to a flat one is that completely different parts of the body feel the pain. Where I live I have an easy choice of very hilly rides or relatively flat rides--head east/west for one, north/south for the other. On long flat rides, my back, hands, butt, and neck get sore. On long hilly rides, all these parts of the body feel fine, I guess because one is forced to change position much more often, standing and sitting, moving back and forward on the saddle, riding drops and hoods, etc. After a long hilly ride all (?) that hurts are my legs and lungs, which feels better.

WadePatton
09-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Helluva great climb only forty miles from here. It was part of a club event recently and I've mapped out a way to loop and repeat it. It's about 900' and the bestest longish climb around here I've found.

So I had been verbally schooled on it by other riders before hitting it that first time. Spent several miles taking it easy leading up to it. Trusted the information that the bottom was steep and the switchback could be brutal unless one got to the outside of it-traffic permitting. All this was true. And the neatest thing happened after I made the switchback and was pulling away from our group. A skunk wandering into the roadway just yards in front of me. I yelled "SKUNK!" as it wobbled to and fro and I desperately hoped to avoid a hosing. I was out of the saddle on a 15-ish% grade using all my energy to simultaneously propel the bike and "wish" the skunk out of my path. Talk about slo-mo. Eventually the skunk made its way off to the high side of the road and there was no conflict.

A bit further up the climb I passed a walking rider, then nearly caught the only one of our group in front of me--right as he got to the first real break in the grade. The climb softens up after about half way. It wasn't nearly as bad as I had anticipated and that's why I'm going back to loop it. Climbing is good stuff.

(I think I posted the profile under the "gentlepersons ride report" thread)

bironi
09-12-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm amazed by how many cyclists ride for years without riding in the mountains. The mountains are the best part of cycling. Get your arses up there. :beer: