PDA

View Full Version : Banking mileage and time in the saddle in anticipation of time off

RPS
09-11-2008, 01:57 PM
After riding too many days in a row for my present level of conditioning, this morning I felt like taking a rest day, but decided to ride anyway to bank the extra mileage in anticipation of Ike probably coming close to the Houston area. Tomorrow morning looks questionable, and the weekend highly doubtful, so I figured I’d have plenty of time to rest over the next couple of days anyway and shouldn’t pass on a rideable day.

Which leads me to the question: Do many of you ride more than you would otherwise in anticipation of having to take time off? Do you bank extra rides in anticipation of (non-cycling) vacations, business trips, hurricanes, etc…? Or do you make it up after taking time off? Neither, both?

Just curious what's normal. :rolleyes:

bagochips3
09-11-2008, 02:01 PM
I do. I almost took today off, but Fall is coming and today is beautiful, so I gotta get out and enjoy the weather while I can.

avalonracing
09-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Yes, I sometimes do the same thing.
It also works for sex.

JStonebarger
09-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Take it a step further and you can take training to a whole new level. It's called (rather unfortunately) "crash training," and it involves doubling or tripling training volume and/or intensity for 2-7 days, then taking an equal amount of time off. The results can be impressive: http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0236.htm.

67-59
09-11-2008, 02:25 PM
I definitely do it. I travel for work a couple of times per month, so I'll frequently ride more on the days leading up to trips, knowing that I'll have plenty of time for "rest" while traveling. Likewise, as it moves into fall and ultimately toward winter here in the upper midwest, I get in as many miles as I can before the weather gets nasty.

I stayed in this morning because of thunderstorms, but it's clearing now so I may go for a late afternoon ride...even though I also plan to go on my regular Friday morning ride only 12 hours later.... :banana:

Volant
09-11-2008, 02:30 PM
I've read it doesn't work (can't bank training). So, I'm interested in following that link above.

Hmmm? Article appears to be distance-load related. I wonder what the effects would be for speed-loading?

Karin Kirk
09-11-2008, 02:44 PM
I enjoy doing hill repeats or some such hard ride the evening before a plane trip. I have an easy time burying myself since I know I'll have a few days off the bike. And airplane trips are uncomfortable as it is, so I may as well have nice sore legs to add to that.

RPS
09-11-2008, 03:02 PM
And airplane trips are uncomfortable as it is, so I may as well have nice sore legs to add to that.Not to change the subject: be careful of leg clots on long flights. Leg soreness may make it harder to distinguish lack of normal circulation.

johnnymossville
09-11-2008, 03:03 PM
I suspect it would really help overcome that guilty time off the bike feeling too. I'm gonna keep this in mind. Thanks for that link!

93legendti
09-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Got too love the bank.

Blue Jays
09-11-2008, 03:57 PM
If I'm riding one afternoon and know stormclouds are inbound for a full-day of rain the next day, I'll absolutely shoehorn extra mileage into the current session.

Karin Kirk
09-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Not to change the subject: be careful of leg clots on long flights. Leg soreness may make it harder to distinguish lack of normal circulation.

Good point - thanks!

dauwhe
09-11-2008, 04:39 PM
If you're traveling to high altitude, do you do some extra breathing before the trip, to put some oxygen in the bank? :D

Dave

soulspinner
09-11-2008, 05:10 PM
If I'm riding one afternoon and know stormclouds are inbound for a full-day of rain the next day, I'll absolutely shoehorn extra mileage into the current session.

Ditto