PDA

View Full Version : Best way to ship your bike??

mikki
09-11-2008, 12:36 AM
My bike club is going to fly to the Hill Country, Texas soon and I just looked up UPS avenue of shipping my Holland. Wow. It shows nearly $250 each way?! (renting case from LBS; live in Orange County, Ca.)

Any advice out there on a safe but less expensive way?

cadence90
09-11-2008, 01:11 AM
How much will your LBS charge?

My LBS (LA) charges $45.00 west of the Miss. and $55.00 east, for an already packaged bike, which is far less than I get quoted from UPS, etc.

They told me it is because they get a commercial rate, while I don't since I don't have a standing account with any shipper.

I don't even bother with getting quotes from the shippers anymore, I just take the package directly to the LBS.

Lanternrouge
09-11-2008, 01:37 AM
I use FedEx ground and it's far less expensive than that, although not cheap. It should go at the 70 pound rate if you're using a cardboard box and probably 90 with a hard case. At $250, it's cheaper to bring it on the plane, although that makes traveling more of a hassle. With FedEx, you can just drop it off at Kinko's.

bronk
09-11-2008, 02:49 AM
I just shipped a complete bike from NW Ohio to Philly. I used FEDEX home delivery. I don't trust the shippers so I packed the wheels in a separate box from the frame. Both boxes combined were just under $50.

avalonracing
09-11-2008, 08:14 AM
UPS charged me $125 to ship a Ti frame 1000 miles one way. Next time it's Fed Ex for me.

malcolm
09-11-2008, 08:35 AM
Mikki, unless it is a case designed especially for bikes and not a cardboard bike box I would either carry or ship the wheels separate. I would also zip tie foam pipe insulation around the tubes. I agree fex ed has been much cheaper than ups lately and I've had about the same level of service from both. Most of the damage I've had over the years shipping frames, not that I ship that many, is from wheels rubbing againts tubes in the box especially if there is a cassette involved. I've seen your bike and you don't want to mess that one up. By the way you will love the hill country and try and visit some of the live music venues while there as well as some hole in the wall mexican places.

bzbvh5
09-11-2008, 09:29 AM
When I bought my first bike from a Bike Shop in Oregon it cost them $31 to mail it to me near Dallas TX. Of course they used the slowest option and it was put on the slowest train available (it took six days to ship). Last I checked, most airlines charged about $80 each way to put it on the flight.

$250 each way just seems unreasonable unless it would be some sort of express shipping.

fierte_poser
09-11-2008, 09:44 AM
United is $125 each way as of 9/1/08.

BumbleBeeDave
09-11-2008, 09:56 AM
. . . checking with Bike shops in Austin or other local metro area to see if any decently high-end rentals are available? That's my first thought whenever I consider going anywhere these days. I'm assuming you're probably flying into there anyway and having rental cars. If there's a rental bike available locally, it might end up costing almost as much as shipping yours, but it removes all the worries about your baby getting lost in transit, damaged, etc. . . .

BBD

Bradford
09-11-2008, 10:22 AM
I just shipped a friends bike from Denver to Vermont in a hard case yesterday for $71 with FedEx ground. Since you can drop it off at any FedEx/Kinkos, it is pretty easy to do.

mikki
09-11-2008, 10:26 AM
You guys are always so helpful; thanks.

I have called around about rental bikes in Austin and as usual, they have top of the line MENS Sizes!! I would think that there are enough of us gals riding that the shops would take notice, but really haven't seen it yet. (Women's rentals are much lower end bikes) I've gone down that route before in Austin. Rented a beautiful Serotta that was too big for me and it was really difficult to ride up and down those hills; I'm a pretty good hill climber on my bike. SOOOOO will look at the LBS's rates vs. me shipping it myself. You guys say they can get a better rate.

And, will wrap the tubes. Little scary to ship her, but I can also rent a hard case from them that gives more protection.

Can't wait for the trip. I LOVE the Austin area...food, music, people, flowers; not necessarily in that order.

Kervin
09-11-2008, 06:07 PM
I just shipped a MTB from VA to NJ via DHL and it was the cheapest (around $25). They will do a home/office pick-up if you like.

Pete Serotta
09-11-2008, 06:12 PM
I also use FedEx ground, it is cheaper. Also set yourself up a FedEx account online and use it (worth about a 12% discount) That price is WAY too high.

Is it an IRON CASE - the price is less . It goes on measurement. If it is a VELO VISE or something that size, I would suggest borrowing a smaller case. Also ship to a bike store or a Hotel. I think ALEXI is in AUSTIN and works for a bike store....

Have a good trip. PETE

My bike club is going to fly to the Hill Country, Texas soon and I just looked up UPS avenue of shipping my Holland. Wow. It shows nearly $250 each way?! (renting case from LBS; live in Orange County, Ca.)

Any advice out there on a safe but less expensive way?

dogdriver
09-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Best I've found is UPS via someone with an account (most businesses, LBS, etc.). I've had good luck over the years taking an already packed bike, along with a 6 pack of fine brew, to the repair counter at my preferred LBS. $40-50.00 including adequate insurance is typical. UPS rates will be about double or worse if you ship w/o an account--UPS does not have an emphasis on economical personal shipping in their business plan, but I digress...

My $.02, Chris

djg
09-11-2008, 07:06 PM
I just shipped a bike from Arlington, VA, to Austin, TX, fedex ground, for about 50 bucks. The box was free from the LBS. I had some of the packing materials, and bought some others (pipe insulation, etc.).