PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Wheel Set

JoeP
09-10-2008, 12:49 PM
I have a set of Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels which I purchase about one year ago. I recently noticed a strees crack in the rear wheel at a point where the spoke is attached to the wheel. When I returned the wheel to the retailer that sold me the wheel set he told me the "wheels were not made for every day use".

I ride between 100 to 150 miles a week on flat land with little or no ruts, pot holes etc.

I'm 6'-1" and weigh 217 pounds.

Any advise/opinions?

steven.k.davis@
09-10-2008, 01:00 PM
IMHO you were getting a bunch of crock. Those wheels have a history of being very strong, stiff, and dependable. I am 6'4", weigh 200# and my set of Kryisums have withstood large potholes and other hazards with flying colors. I couldn't be happier. My guess is that you may have a warranty issue and I would recommend that you have them sent back for inspection. Hopefully you have a back-up set of wheels you can use until this situation gets resolved. Gook luck!

bluto
09-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Advice? Find a new bike shop.

My SL's have been put through far worse conditions and are still as straight and true as the day i brought them home. You won't find many on here that like those wheels but those that do love them-me included. SL's have a reputation for being bombproof so shame on the guy that told you they're not intended for everyday use.

Pete Serotta
09-10-2008, 01:20 PM
You are getting a croc. They can be used everyday and I do use them for 3k-4k per year. Buddy just broke a spoke after 4 years and 8+K miles and he is 6.5 feet and heavier.

Suggestion is to take them to another shop or contact MAVIC in Havebhill MA.

PETE

Volant
09-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Sounds like a defect to me. Your shop should help with handling the warranty. If not, you can always contact Mavic directly. I had to do that once and they quickly and professionally corrected the problem. :)

rustychisel
09-10-2008, 07:33 PM
I agree with all that has been said. My Ksyrium SSC have been ridden every week for 5+ years and the rear wheel has been retrued once. I'm not big ~175lb. Great wheels.

JoeP
09-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Thanks for getting back to me. The retailer did send the wheel back to Mavic and they have a 2 year warranty so I am expecting a new wheel.

The funny part about all of this is that the retailer told me that these would be good wheels for me! Sounds like I do need to find another.

Thanks Again.