PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a wheelset I no longer need?

scottcw2
09-09-2008, 10:34 PM
I had a wheelset built locally around a year ago when I weighed 220. I'm now down to 200, so I want a more "comfortable" set.

The set I have is DT 1.2 rims 2x 32 hole front and 2x 28 hole rear both with 340 hubs. I'd like to change to 1.1 rims 32 hole both. My question is do I recycle the hubs with the new build and sell the rims only or sell this wheelset entirely and go with a whole new build (would probably use 240 hubs)? What's my best value here? Thanks.

dekindy
09-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Neither, you need to keep them and use them awhile longer. These wheels would be recommended for your current weight.

markie
09-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Umm, why did you go for 28 rear and 32 front?

I too vote for using the wheels.

Louis
09-09-2008, 10:44 PM
My $0.02

I agree with DK, reducing rider weight from 220 to 200 lbs should not have so much of an effect on the ride that the wheels are no longer useful to you. If you are feeling a difference it may all be in your head.

A slight difference in tire pressure will probably have just as important an effect. Do you pump up your tires to the exact same psi before every ride? I don't, and mine always loose a few psi between rides. Doesn't bother me.

Just ride them.

scottcw2
09-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Umm, why did you go for 28 rear and 32 front?

I too vote for using the wheels.

Not my choice. I left that up to the local builder based on my weight and local roads.

I will be 175-180 by next season, so I won't get much use out of these between now and then.

Sandy
09-10-2008, 06:38 AM
I have been 200 snd I have been 220 (often). A few questions, please-

1. Are you sure in what you are saying relative to the rims? 32 in front and 28 in rear? Or is it the other way around?

2. What size tires do you use?

3. What psi do you use?

4. Do you simply want a new set of wheels now that you have lost weight , are justifiably proud, and are in the process of losing more?

Sandy

dekindy
09-10-2008, 07:27 AM
Keep them as backup wheels. You are going to need them if you go with a lighter wheelset. :rolleyes:

ergott
09-10-2008, 07:49 AM
Not my choice. I left that up to the local builder based on my weight and local roads.

I will be 175-180 by next season, so I won't get much use out of these between now and then.

Keep the wheels and use them if you are not having any issues with them.

In the future, find a different builder to at least suggest the makeup of the next build (not that you need one). You don't put more spokes in the front wheel.

WadePatton
09-10-2008, 10:13 AM
Back off the pressure, as said already. Then keep for a spare/winter/training set.

AND CONGRATULATIONS on dropping some weight! It's a great feeling and all too rare these days.

scrooge
09-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Give them to me.
But really, 28 in the rear? I know it's been asked...but really?

Blue Jays
09-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Keep the wheels and continue to use them.
Nothing wrong with having a set of backup wheels in case you break a spoke or burst a tube just as you're heading out the door to a ride.

giordana93
09-10-2008, 12:33 PM
if more comfort is what you are after, the suggested new wheels are not going to get you there, period. if you are itching for some new wheels, go for it, but it makes absolutely no sense to de-commission the wheels you have now to get more comfort and you will not find any in changing around the spoke count. the solution for comfort is simple, but unfortunately, no matter what anyone says, comfort and performance are usually inversely related: stiff, aero wheels with small diameter tires pumped up to 120 will give a harsh ride, no matter what your weight. as your weight goes down, you can run less pressure in your tires and still have the same protection of the rim (and against pinch flats), so that's really the best way to go. if comfort is really what you are after and you're less concerned with performance, go with a slightly larger tire, at least a 25c or a 28 (or a 32 if you have the room in your frame and want a real cushy ride) and run it at about 90-95 psi. losing weight actually allows you to have a lighter wheel and lower tire pressure without compromising strength or pinch-flat resistance, but maintaining the same "comfort"
in any case, you do need a set of back-up wheels, and, anyway, if you keep using the rear wheel, you'll get the chance to change the rim (but not spoke count) when it eventually dies from fatigue or kissing a curb

sg8357
09-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Sell them quick, unattended wheels generally result in a frame appearing,
endangering domestic bliss.

Scott G.
two frames behind the couch, several wheels over in the corner.

scottcw2
09-10-2008, 01:26 PM
I have been 200 snd I have been 220 (often). A few questions, please-

1. Are you sure in what you are saying relative to the rims? 32 in front and 28 in rear? Or is it the other way around?

2. What size tires do you use?

3. What psi do you use?

4. Do you simply want a new set of wheels now that you have lost weight , are justifiably proud, and are in the process of losing more?

Sandy

1. Yes, I double counted the other night. I was surprised myself. These were built by a local shop with a stellar reputation. The former owner is a member of this board.

2. Currently 700x23.

3. 115-120.

4. Both the reward factor, but also dbrk suggested via email "Stay away from the deep dish rims if you are looking for less stiff, more comfortable." So I am thinking of switching to the 1.1 rims 2x 32 hole with a 700x24 (probably Vittoria Pave).

znfdl
09-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Keep the wheels and use them if you are not having any issues with them.

In the future, find a different builder to at least suggest the makeup of the next build (not that you need one). You don't put more spokes in the front wheel.

Unless you are using a disk in the rear.

weiwentg
09-10-2008, 02:01 PM
1. Yes, I double counted the other night. I was surprised myself. These were built by a local shop with a stellar reputation. The former owner is a member of this board.

either you can't count, or the shop can't.

scottcw2
09-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Who do you recommend as a good wheel builder in the SF Peninsula (Palo Alto to be exact)? It will be ironic if the guy who built these wheels gets recommended.

93LegendTG
09-10-2008, 05:18 PM
my 2 cents:
I would find a new shop, and then
I would have a rear DT1.2 32 hole rear wheel built and a 28 hole front wheel built with a DT 1.1 rim.
I would then pair the two 32 hole DT1.2 wheels for general riding and use the two 28 hole wheels for special occations.
+1 on running something like a 25 Mich. Pro in the back.

scottcw2
09-11-2008, 11:05 PM
Who do you recommend as a good wheel builder in the SF Peninsula (Palo Alto to be exact)? It will be ironic if the guy who built these wheels gets recommended.

Bump for recommendations.

bagochips3
09-11-2008, 11:15 PM
It's a bit far north from you, but Gravy Wheels in Fairfax is very good: www.gravyprowheels.com.

giordana93
09-12-2008, 07:20 AM
I can't really vouch for Gravy, but he has an impressive resume for wrenching and wheel-building. Maybe not a household name, but I had heard of him. I would think you couldn't go wrong.
(from his website):

STEVE "Gravy" GRAVENITES

A native of Marin County, California, Gravy was there (circa 1976), riding
with the early pioneers of mountain biking Joe Breeze, Gary Fisher, Steve Potts and
Charlie Cunningham.

Since then, Gravy has built wheels and bikes for National and World Champions TINKER JUAREZ, STEVE LARSEN, JURGEN BENEKE, DAVE CULLINAN, MISSY GIOVE, MYLES ROCKWELL and ALISON SYDOR. Along with notable riders
Elke Brutsaert, Colin Bailey, Sara Ballentine, Jimmy Deaton, Curly & Sara Ellis,
Rishi Grewai, Tammy Jaques, Mike King, April Lawyer, Tattoo Lou, Cail Noble,
Ned Overend, Jacquie Phelan, Daryl Price, Kurt Stockton and Kurt Vories.

Gravy has witnessed and participated in the entire history of the sport of mountain biking. He was wrenching for MISSY and MILES when they both medaled at the Mountain Bike World Championships. Gravy wrenched for the Volvo/Cannondale Mountain Bike Race Team through a zero-mechanical-failure season in 1994.

Throughout the years, Gravy has learned his trade from the best mechanics and
bike builders in the world. His mentors include Buck Berardi, Bill Woodal & Jim Ingram from Campagnolo, John Parker & Frank The Welder from Yeti Cycles and Tracey Wilde.