PDA

View Full Version : IF buyout?

torquer
09-09-2008, 10:28 AM
I just got around to reading the "Industry Insider" column in the 9/8 Velonews, and they mention in passing an "investment... by industry outsiders" in, among other bike companies, "Independent Fabrications" (sic).

A few minutes with Wikipepia and Google didn't turn up any references, and IF has been prominently employee owned. Anyone know if there's anything to this story?

jthurow
09-09-2008, 10:36 AM
There was a discussion about it across the hall, see http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1284.

jimi

Alexi
09-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Short of it some guy from a boot company bought some shares and Matt got the boot... or that's the story that's been going around boston

Steelhead
09-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Short of it some guy from a boot company bought some shares and Matt got the boot... or that's the story that's been going around boston

If Matty B sold it he is a wealthy wealthy man today. Did you see what DaKine sold to Billabong for? Something like $135mil for a snowboard and related apparel and softgoods mfg.

I'm disappointed when these guys sell, but can you blame them?

johnnymossville
09-09-2008, 03:17 PM
If Matty B sold it he is a wealthy wealthy man today. Did you see what DaKine sold to Billabong for? Something like $135mil for a snowboard and related apparel and softgoods mfg.

Can't blame them at all. Sometimes it's just time to get out. Life is too short. Maybe he's got some more mountains to climb before it's over. Love IF Bikes by the way.

David Kirk
09-09-2008, 03:20 PM

I very seriously doubt there are any big numbers going on here. I would guess IF to be in the $3m a year league so selling your portion wouldn't add up to very much in the big scheme of things.

Dave

Volant
09-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Usually it's a multiplier of earnings and/or expectations going forward. So, I don't believe he made a killing for his shares.

Steelhead
09-09-2008, 03:33 PM
either way - wishing them the best. The new guy sounds pretty sharp, but thats kinda the thing, too.... sounds so corporate talking about "being involved in the timberland buy out of Smartwool, etc.."

Oh well - they make beautiful bicycles. :)

OtayBW
09-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Well, I know pretty dang well what size boot I need, so I guess this whole fitting rigamarole won't be needed anymore. :rolleyes: