View Full Version : Lance is back for '09

davidlee
09-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Wow...
http://velonews.com/article/82892/sources-lance-armstrong-coming-back
This is cool...

gdw
09-08-2008, 12:07 PM
The lack of oxygen in Leadville must have caused some brain damage.

johnnymossville
09-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Oh well, I wish him luck.

Chris
09-08-2008, 12:10 PM
too much ego to stay retired and see that the world turns without him.

Kevan
09-08-2008, 12:19 PM
but this smacks of a Michael Jordon comeback (not).

93legendti
09-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Armstrong, who turns 37 this month, will compete in the Amgen Tour of California, Paris-Nice, the Tour de Georgia, the Dauphine-Libere and the Tour de France — and will race for no salary or bonuses, the sources, who asked to remain anonymous, told VeloNews.

Great news...the Tour of California, Paris-Nice, the Tour de Georgia and the Dauphine-Libere will be on TV every day.

Kines
09-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Oh, don't be so negative, people! No matter what happens, and no matter how much you dislike him, this will be interesting to watch. And you know it. You grumpypusses.

KN

davidlee
09-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Oh, don't be so negative, people! No matter what happens, and no matter how much you dislike him, this will be interesting to watch. And you know it. You grumpypusses.

KN

AMEN... This is great for the sport in a million ways..
and if he wants to ride b&tch for Contador , let 'em.

WadePatton
09-08-2008, 12:44 PM
I'd like to see him do more ATB stuff.

And I'd like to see him continue to test clean-while turning in great rides. (sorry, but somebuddy had to broach that subject).

johnnymossville
09-08-2008, 12:44 PM
It will be interesting. Lance is no Levi, I don't know if he can just roll over and ride for someone else if he's anywhere near the lead of a race. This is gonna be FUN!!

csm
09-08-2008, 12:50 PM
at least he's not trying baseball.

Kines
09-08-2008, 12:51 PM

LOL!!! exactly what I was thinking, which is why I find this so interesting. Will he be able to play that game? You gotta believe that deep down inside, he still wants to WIN, even if he says different, and even if he knows better.

KN

jeffg
09-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Why doesn't Lance ride support for Contador in the TdF, and try his hand at winning the Giro or Vuelta?

BumbleBeeDave
09-08-2008, 01:46 PM
. . . Armstrong has to keep doing things that will keep public attention centered on him to continue to keep public attention centered on his cancer charity--and keep the donations flowing in. He is the one and only publicity machine for the LAF and if he fades away and stops doing things people notice the foundation is toast.

But yes, the real question is if he can race and stand to lose or just be support for someone else.

BBD

Steelhead
09-08-2008, 01:52 PM
He heard about Michael Ball and couldn't let a challenge of biggest ego go un answered.

BumbleBeeDave
09-08-2008, 01:57 PM
. . . about there being room in pro cycling for only one big ball with a big ego, but it might be seen as tasteless, and we all know what good taste I have. :rolleyes: :crap: ;)

BBD

mikki
09-08-2008, 02:15 PM

My sentiments exactly. Will make for exciting racing, Woo Hoo!! (but who's saying Astana will get into the Tour in '09? The French don't want the competition!!)

JMerring
09-08-2008, 02:16 PM
There goes Astana's invite to any race organized by the ASO. Contador gets f--ked again.

Birch
09-08-2008, 02:17 PM
There goes Astana's invite to any race organized by the ASO. Contador gets f--ked again.

Exactly what I was thinking!! :bike:

Kevan
09-08-2008, 02:18 PM

KN

my Monday is getting to me. It should be interesting. Will the thinned herd help? Loose on the details, but he'll be riding with George again? What of Trek?

Charles M
09-08-2008, 02:35 PM
So that FRS stuff must work?

New advert...

Tired of being re/tired??

Fixed
09-08-2008, 02:37 PM
I'd like to see him do more ATB stuff.

And I'd like to see him continue to test clean-while turning in great rides. (sorry, but somebuddy had to broach that subject).
me too and cross
cheers

Ti Designs
09-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Pete Townsend said he would kill himself if he was still playing rock & roll when he turned 40. My ex-wife broke a vow that ended in "till death do we part", and I know I saw an interview with Lance where he said he wanted to leave the sport at the very top...

This is why a dog is man's best friend - someone you can trust!

victoryfactory
09-08-2008, 02:53 PM
I love this, and I hope he wins some races too.
Great for the sport in every way.

Sort of like Brett Favre, without the crying at the press conference

VF

btw;

J - E - T - S JETS JETS JETS!

SadieKate
09-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Obviously, his Waiflike Wench of the Week PR move isn't working.

learlove
09-08-2008, 03:31 PM
must be out of $$$. mary kate or ashley or whatever high school celeb chick he was molesting must of drained his pocket.

BumbleBeeDave
09-08-2008, 04:23 PM
. . . has never interacted that well with other people, from what I've read, and is a control freak now in a world of politics and publicity that he in no way can control. It makes perfect sense to me that after a few years of that he would go back to the one thing where he may feel he does know what he's doing and does have some semblance of control--and with people he's known a long time and is comfortable with.

BBD

jimp1234
09-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Perhaps he is seeking the "Joop Zoetemelk" oldest Pro cyclist award? Anyone catch the Tour of Ireland coverage when they mentioned that one Brit who was around 47?? Makes you wonder though if Alberto is looking at other teams (maybe CSC or one the Spanish teams??) because Lance will only ride the TDF to win and there's no way he is coming back to play domestique for anyone...

SoCalSteve
09-08-2008, 05:30 PM
. . . Armstrong has to keep doing things that will keep public attention centered on him to continue to keep public attention centered on his cancer charity--and keep the donations flowing in. He is the one and only publicity machine for the LAF and if he fades away and stops doing things people notice the foundation is toast.
But yes, the real question is if he can race and stand to lose or just be support for someone else.

BBD

I like this sentiment. Puts a very positive spin on him coming out of retirement.

More power to him!

Just my $.02,

Steve

Kervin
09-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Anyone catch the Tour of Ireland coverage when they mentioned that one Brit who was around 47?? ...

Malcolm Elliot (http://www.pinarellort.com/profiles/malcolm_elliott.htm)

I remember reading about him in Winning!

Flat Out
09-08-2008, 06:02 PM

Nor were his Water Wasting Ways. :)

Sorry.

MilanoTom
09-08-2008, 06:11 PM

KN

.... just like watching the old boxer who has to fight one more fight.

rwsaunders
09-08-2008, 06:54 PM
The pundits will slam him, but he'll make money for the sport and his organization. I'd have a beer or two with him.

inGobwetrust
09-08-2008, 07:05 PM

Does saying that make you feel better about yourself? That's just downright mean, nasty, and tasteless.

Flat Out
09-08-2008, 07:08 PM
AP says it's not happening:

Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080908/ap_on_sp_ot/cyc_armstrong_comeback;_ylt=AvybQk0ZVjyq2rTDbWhWc1 es0NUE)

Elefantino
09-08-2008, 07:28 PM
I hope he doesn't.

My wife thinks he shouldn't, either, because "it's over. He went out on top, the way he should."

Sugar Ray Leonard vs. Hector Camacho.

Look it up.

Lifelover
09-08-2008, 07:49 PM
I would love to see him ride again!

Win or lose it would provide great Drama!

toaster
09-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by SadieKate

Does saying that make you feel better about yourself? That's just downright mean, nasty, and tasteless.

I thought it was pretty funny.

BumbleBeeDave
09-08-2008, 08:26 PM

. . . Armstrong's seeming inability to form long-lasting stable female relationships does say something to me about his character and his upbringing. The undeniable and somewhat eerie resemblance to his mother of all his publicized female relationships--his wife Kristin, Cheryl Crow, Tori Burch, and to some degree one of the Olsen clones--also bears interest. I'm not sure exactly what it says--I'm not a professional psychologist. But I find him to be a fascinating psychological study.

But regardless of that, even if this comeback rumor is just that--a rumor--it confirms that his merely being able to float a trial balloon like this and get all this interest is proof that he has become one of the elite cadre of celebrities who appear to be famous for . . . simply being famous.

BBd

sailorboy
09-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Are TREK sales flagging or something???

Marcusaurelius
09-08-2008, 08:39 PM
. . . Armstrong's seeming inability to form long-lasting stable female relationships does say something to me about his character and his upbringing. The undeniable and somewhat eerie resemblance to his mother of all his publicized female relationships--his wife Kristin, Cheryl Crow, Tori Burch, and to some degree one of the Olsen clones--also bears interest. I'm not sure exactly what it says--I'm not a professional psychologist. But I find him to be a fascinating psychological study.

But regardless of that, even if this comeback rumor is just that--a rumor--it confirms that his merely being able to float a trial balloon like this and get all this interest is proof that he has become one of the elite cadre of celebrities who appear to be famous for . . . simply being famous.

BBd

Well speculating about someone's personal life when you have no real intimate knowledge about it seems more than just a little ridiculous. I don't know what motivates people to have such an intense fascination in someone's private life. Maybe because they have nothing interesting in their private life.

Rumours about his returned that have not been confirmed by Lance himself are just rumours--and maybe just a hoax. Who knows?

davidlee
09-08-2008, 09:03 PM
.But regardless of that, even if this comeback rumor is just that--a rumor--it confirms that his merely being able to float a trial balloon like this and get all this interest is proof that he has become one of the elite cadre of celebrities who appear to be famous for . . . simply being famous.

BBd

Are you kidding? He is arguably one of the best cyclists, EVER. Do his past accomplishments fade away just because he's not racing?

I'm not even going to comment on your personal and PSYCHO-logical attacks on him, that border on , as you said it yourself, eerie.
Yikes....

SadieKate
09-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Speculation? Taking an interest in his life?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/22/fashion/22lance.html?n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/People/S/Salkin,%20Allen

It's all over the news. It's been reported in many bike magazines. You can't log onto the internet without seeing stories. It doesn't "take an interest" to know about his string of women and you'd have to have your head in the sand not to know about them. I personally have great respect for what he accomplished on the bike and think the guy is doing great things for cancer patients and families, but now there is a certain tinge of creepiness.

I personally don't care what he does with his competitive racing career. I thoroughly enjoy Ned Overend's continued success. I'm rather sad for Armstrong's children as I just don't see how he can do all that he claims to be doing and still be there as often as most fathers.

BumbleBeeDave
09-08-2008, 09:27 PM
. . . I don't believe I asked anyone to agree with my opinion. I also don't believe I'm the only one to comment on this forum that all his lady friends seem to look like his mother. At least I did it in more polite terms than others have in the past. I'm not making fun of the guy. He is indeed one of the greatest cyclists ever. But that was in the past. What's he doing NOW? To me, at least, he seems to be engaging in classic behavior designed to keep him in the public eye at the same time he proclaims himself to be "retired."

Marcus, I am not the only one here or, as Sadie says, numerous other places to speculate on his private life when he inserts himself into the news as he has done in this case. But no, I don't sit around thinking about Lance Armstrong's private life all the time. In fact, until this thread came up I hadn't thought about the guy at all lately.

But perhaps that's what motivates behavior like this? His awareness of the fact that nobody's thinking about him anymore? Oops! More speculation . . .

Either way, yes he's a great cyclist and a fascinating guy.

BBD

SadieKate
09-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Hmm, I'm wondering if some of youse don't know that the primary definition of "wench" is "a young woman," as in "she's a comely wench."

Of course, there was that PennySaver ad from years ago for a used jeep with a brand new wench. My brother called asking if she hunted and fished. :rolleyes:

BBB
09-08-2008, 09:46 PM

BBd

I'm not sure why BBd is being attacked following his views, as set out above. I'm not a professional psychologist either, but I understand there is some correlation between his upbringing - absent biological father, abusive step-father, broken parental relations - and the traits he has exhibited during and after his career, including his relationships, as mentioned by BBd.

I think there's no beef regarding his achievements as a cyclist (setting aside the did he or didn't he argument) or his efforts at raising money for cancer. Like BBd I think he is a fascinating psychological study. I fail to see why people would have difficulty in someone expressing this view.

BumbleBeeDave
09-08-2008, 09:59 PM
. . . is that almost any thread here that mentions Lance inevitably develops into a heated exchange. He's not only fascinating--he's also an extremely polarizing figure. I once read a story where someone who had known him for a long time was quoted as saying there with Lance it's either 100% black or white--there is no gray. You're either 100% for him or 100% against him. These kinds of threads seem to evoke the same response from his supporters. If you're not 100% in support of him you're 100% against him. I don't dislike the guy at all. I just think he's not only one of the greatest cyclists ever. He's also a fascinating figure, not just for his athletic accomplishments, but for the qualities and personal background BBB alludes to. I think if he did not have those personal qualities and history that make him interesting, he never would have become the champion cyclist we admire. He's one in a million.

BBD

1happygirl
09-08-2008, 10:24 PM
If it is true, very sad for his kids. On the other hand, he hasn't been there for them anyway so far so it's business as usual.

Charity begins at home.

I once knew a minister who was so busy ministering to the flock, that his own family never knew him. Sad really.

inGobwetrust
09-08-2008, 11:07 PM
His personal life is our business now? Maybe he has a great relationship with his kids and maybe he doesn't but how is it anyone's business but his family's? The Armstrong children are certainly better off than the majority of children worldwide, of that I'm sure.

jel
09-08-2008, 11:08 PM

Can't speak for SadieKate, but it makes me feel pretty darn good. :D

1happygirl
09-08-2008, 11:43 PM
His personal life is our business now? Maybe he has a great relationship with his kids and maybe he doesn't but how is it anyone's business but his family's? The Armstrong children are certainly better off than the majority of children worldwide, of that I'm sure.

Sorry, not meaning to start anything but yeah it is my business to not patronize & to stick up for people (kids) who don't have a choice. This will be the last I say on it but see my post in the other tread. His hypocrisy about retiring and spending more time with the kids etc rubs me wrong. They (the kids) didn't choose for him to be gone all the time. They didn't choose to be bike racers. When you are being photographed numerous times a day/week/month in different parts of the globe it is neigh impossible to be spending time with your children in Austin after school. Not to mention all the time and attention taken away when you are dating someone new.

As for them being better or worse off, that true enough is speculation but I venture to say most kids would take time with the parent over new cool things and stuff. Like J. Lennons son Julian has said, I knew him from album covers but I never really knew him growing up. I just think its sad and especially since L.A. has repeatedly emphasized a different philosophy. Behavior and words don't always go hand in hand.

Like the wise oracle and sage, BBD said, LA is definetly a polarizing figure. Love 'em or hate 'em. (and by the way I used to think he was super keeno cool and used to go down to his victory celebrations each year). I was often in the front row. This ceased a few years back with a more careful analysis.

malcolm
09-09-2008, 12:26 AM
I wonder how many of our lives would hold up under the bright lights of public life?

BBB
09-09-2008, 12:45 AM

To be fair, he wrote two books about his personal life. Even his Mum wrote a book.

slowgoing
09-09-2008, 12:56 AM
The guy is a genetic freak and compulsive perfectionist who won year after year without fail. I'm not so sure he can't do it again. Would be nice to see if he could.

Could care less about his personal life although my take is that some of the mentality that makes him so competitive may not be conducive to lasting relationships. But so what? You're not gonna change him. He, for one, truly did things his way, and that's what made him a winner.

andy mac
09-09-2008, 01:48 AM
If you don't want people to know about your private life maybe don't write in-depth books about it, go on Oprah etc? Isn't there a movie coming out? He loves this stuff.

MJ, Tiger and the entire German Womens Field Hockey manage to keep it just about sport.

Just a thought.

I'm glad he's back. Good luck to him!

:beer:

andy

Viper
09-09-2008, 02:00 AM
All the power to him, I wish him well. I predicted he'd make a comeback, his ego misses the spot/limelight and maybe he can pull it off. He could prolly take 1st in a TT tomorrow, he can always climb, but can he sustain? I'd bet he pulls it off. Hincapie is the most excited:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVybOXeWnhw

BumbleBeeDave
09-09-2008, 05:54 AM
Like the wise oracle and sage, BBD said . . .

Are you nuts?!? Wise guy, maybe . . . :rolleyes:

BBD

coopdog
09-09-2008, 07:10 AM
Since when did Vanity Fair become the bastion of cycling journalism? I'll believe it when I see it.

jhcakilmer
09-09-2008, 08:09 AM
Hey, if you will 7 Tdf....in a row.....you can do what ever you want. If anyone could make a late, comeback, it would be Armstrong. I'm not a fan, per say, but if it's true, I'll be watching to see what happens!

He's always been so controlled and calculating, as far as cycling goes, and we all know he has the discipline, and dedication. As far as his personal life, I think we all can agree that work-a-holics don't make the best parents. Of course if he's as much of an a-hole with his kids as he is with everyone else, maybe there better off.

I know people will take that as a criticism, but I he likes being the a-hole.

Charles M
09-09-2008, 09:10 AM
...he has become one of the elite cadre of celebrities who appear to be famous for . . . simply being famous.

BBd

Poo...

But then say it's not poo and Lance gets no credit at all for the massive win list he has and is just a celeb...

I would rather watch Paris Hilton or Kim Karashians video than another TDF like this years...

And as for the other post about old tired boxers...

One of the most heart felt moments of joy in my life happened all of the sudden...

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/richard_obrien/08/25/foreman.qa/p1_foreman_0825.jpg

:banana:

Volant
09-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Yes....but will Lance be back-to-back??

Viper
09-09-2008, 09:46 AM
I know people will take that as a criticism, but I think he likes being the a-hole.

:D

In other words:

dauwhe
09-09-2008, 10:08 AM
I would rather watch Paris Hilton or Kim Karashians video than another TDF like this years...

I liked that you didn't know who would win until the last day.

I'll grant that 2003 was exciting, but 2004? Journalists could write their stories ahead of time: "Lance Armstrong won today's stage of the Tour de France"...

Dave

BumbleBeeDave
09-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Poo...

But then say it's not poo and Lance gets no credit at all for the massive win list he has and is just a celeb...

And as for the other post about old tired boxers...

One of the most heart felt moments of joy in my life happened all of the sudden...

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/richard_obrien/08/25/foreman.qa/p1_foreman_0825.jpg

:banana:

. . . if the comeback succeeds we will be able to purchase a LAY-uns AHM-strong hamburger grill from his TV ads?

Will Lance then have six sons and name them all Lance?

Just wonderin' . . .

BBD

fiamme red
09-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Sorry, not meaning to start anything but yeah it is my business to not patronize & to stick up for people (kids) who don't have a choice. This will be the last I say on it but see my post in the other tread. His hypocrisy about retiring and spending more time with the kids etc rubs me wrong. They (the kids) didn't choose for him to be gone all the time. They didn't choose to be bike racers. When you are being photographed numerous times a day/week/month in different parts of the globe it is neigh impossible to be spending time with your children in Austin after school. Not to mention all the time and attention taken away when you are dating someone new.I agree with you about his hypocrisy. He did say in 2005 that the reason he was retiring was to spend more time with his children. And his children were always prominent in the photo-ops on the Champs-Élysées. You can't use your children for publicity and then expect people not to criticize you for neglecting them.

Charles M
09-09-2008, 11:06 AM
. . . if the comeback succeeds we will be able to purchase a LAY-uns AHM-strong hamburger grill from his TV ads?

Just wonderin' . . .

BBD

Anythings possible...

Including him Knocking up both Olsens and naming both of the kids "Lance" :D

steven.k.davis@
09-09-2008, 01:47 PM
I wouldn't surprised that he returns and joins Team Columbia. My guess is that he would be a disruptive force if he were to return to Astana. Columbia seems like a better fit and Hincapie would again be at his side. What do others think?

fixedgeardad
09-09-2008, 02:20 PM
i think he is tring to lay to rest once and for all that he was racing clean, by subjecting himself to the new standards. although it will only show he has been clean for the last 6 months, so those that doubt will continue to do so.

Charles M
09-09-2008, 02:33 PM
If he subjected himself to the new system and still dominated, the doubt would only linger for the same folks who simply can't be satisfied... And therefore were not worth the effort in the first place.

The rest of us, me included, would love to see him deal with the new systems. I think it would be an exclamation point (or dagger if you prefer) ;)

Viper
09-09-2008, 02:34 PM
http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html

Above link always interests me. Still, I have been wanting him to make a comeback. Nothing like watching an athlete stretch themselves, strain, even after they've pulled the end of the rope. Do I think Lance doped? Yes. Was he a bad mofo on two wheels? Yup. He has everything to gain by trying again, atmo. Maybe deep down he's doing it for Sandy. :beer:

Fixed
09-09-2008, 02:43 PM
he did a little running some mt bike racing some surfing why go back to such a hard sport ? ..he loves it or maybe he wants his young twins to remember him as a pro cyclist racing or both ...37 kinda old but not too old imho
I remember when he won ironkids in tampa i was there he was a stud as a kid
you may not like him but he is speical ..
cheers

BumbleBeeDave
09-09-2008, 02:44 PM

Just wonderin' . . .

BBD

Looks like I may have spoken too soon. Could it be he has already had those six sons?

BBD

SadieKate
09-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Talk about creepy. That's going to give me nightmares.

BumbleBeeDave
09-09-2008, 02:58 PM

. . . Just because I like to photograph my kids when we take a day trip down to NYC is no reason to get nasty! ;) :banana:

BBD

Viper
09-09-2008, 03:04 PM

Here, all better:

SadieKate
09-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Ah, all better.

Someone needs to do something about that stripe-fixated guy.

SadieKate
09-09-2008, 03:19 PM
. . . Just because I like to photograph my kids when we take a day trip down to NYC is no reason to get nasty! ;) :banana:

BBDSorry. I musta been speculating again about your private life that you post all over the web. Where can I get a signed copy of your book?

Viper
09-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Confirmed. He's back. "We are not going to try to win second place" said his lawyer/pal Stapleton. I love it.

"I am happy to announce that after talking with my children, my family and my closest friends, I have decided to return to professional cycling in order to raise awareness of the global cancer burden," the 36-year-old Armstrong said in a statement released to The Associated Press. "This year alone, nearly eight million people will die of cancer worldwide. ... It's now time to address cancer on a global level."

In an exclusive interview with Vanity Fair, Armstrong told the magazine he's 100 percent sure he's going to compete in the Tour de France next summer. "I'm going back to professional cycling," he said in the story posted Tuesday on the magazine's Web site. "I'm going to try and win an eighth Tour de France."
-LA

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/more/09/09/armstrong.ap/?cnn=yes

crossjunkee
09-09-2008, 04:20 PM

I'm not a Lance Armstrong fan. But, if he's actually doing this to keep the awareness alive, I'm all for it. I say way to go!

A.L.Breguet
09-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Love 'em or hate 'em, a come-back would be good for the sport and for cancer research.

fiamme red
09-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Love 'em or hate 'em, a come-back would be good for the sport and for cancer research.And for the health of cycling forums! :banana:

Blue Jays
09-09-2008, 04:28 PM
http://www.livestrong.com/lance2009/

Elefantino
09-09-2008, 05:23 PM
And for the health of cycling forums! :banana:
And for more women who look like his mom! :banana:
( :D )

thinpin
09-09-2008, 05:42 PM
It's now time to address cancer on a global level."

Bulldust!

How melodramatic?
The world as a whole has much bigger more basic problems than cancer, water food etc etc.
Sure, its great he's doing something for cancer research but spare us the cr4p B grade drivel and just get on with it!
Or better still stay at home, he tires me

Fixed
09-09-2008, 05:47 PM
i don't want to see him come back for his own health
the cat has been through the ringer already
he has done and is doing his part to help fight cancer .
he does not need to be a martyr. imho
cheers

1centaur
09-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Thought 1: Maybe he doped to beat a doped peloton and now thinks he can beat a clean peloton while clean.

Thought 2: Speaking chess wise, if he declares for the Tour and ASO says no Astana for whatever reason, Astana can sacrifice Lance for the Tour bid and donate $1MM to the LAF. Everybody gets something.

Thought 3: Give the guy the Ventoux possibility in the Dauphine. The one gap on his personal wish list.

Thought 4: How does ASO change the Tour route/events for 2009, if at all, in the wake of this announcement?

Thought 5: Levi, 'Berto, Lance and a resurgent Klodie against 2 Schlecks and Cadel Evans in a final selection to a mountain top finish - who would NOT want to watch that?

Thought 6: One of those 4 won't be on the Tour team. Maybe 2.

michael white
09-09-2008, 06:16 PM
of course everyone will watch. If he's not on top of his game, everyone will say I told you so. If he wins, it'll be: so what?

my guess is, he's bored. It's just a sport. . . good luck to him.

gdw
09-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Lance got beat by an older mountain biker in Leadville and couldn't live with the loss. The poor guy didn't want to end his cycling career as a loser so he decided to come out of retirement and beat up on the whiny eurotrash roadies. It makes sense, the races are easier and the competition isn't very tough. :banana:

I hope he wins another tour and embarrasses the organizers and french press. Better yet, I hope his return raises millions of dollars for his foundation.

BumbleBeeDave
09-09-2008, 07:04 PM
. . . that his selfless sacrifice to help beat cancer also allows him to indulge his ego by returning him to the arena where he will receive all sorts of adoring attention that he can control, unlike the hundred gossip columns he showed up in after he retired.

I go back to my original observation . . . Lance is the sole fund raising pillar that the LAF stands on. If he does not continue to find things to do that will draw attention--and donations--to the cause, then the LAF will dry up and blow away.

That's not to say that I disapprove of what the LAF does or the cause of beating cancer. Far from it. It's a very noble goal. I just get the creepy feeling that the "cause" is inextricably entwined in his own mind with his ego, and he is exercising that ego through his work for the LAF. That bothers me.

Oh, well . . . like it really matters. Time to go for a ride!

BBD

andy mac
09-09-2008, 08:52 PM
is he really coming back to raise cancer awareness? don't buy it.

he's coming back because he misses the game, being the man, crushing people, adding another chapter etc etc etc.

jel
09-09-2008, 09:58 PM
:D

In other words:

I recognize that last guy......

Steve in SLO
09-10-2008, 12:35 AM
Too bad Lemond can't come back, too...now THAT would be a show.

nohappen
09-10-2008, 04:28 AM
I don't know if he can just roll over and ride for someone else if he's anywhere near the lead of a race. This is gonna be FUN!!

soulspinner
09-10-2008, 05:39 AM
Remember, when he won 7 in a row, he had the best equipment, the best team, and good luck. After this time away and with his age Im really skeptical about a three week tour. I seriously doubt he made this announcement not knowing who hes riding for though, and with Demol joining Astana again 10 days ago the timing sure points that way.

Elefantino
09-10-2008, 06:07 AM
Maybe he just wants to do a Dara Torres.

Oh, wait. She finished second.

http://www.nydailynews.com/img/2008/08/17/alg_torres-reacts.jpg

jkdbjj
09-10-2008, 07:18 AM
The guy is a genetic freak and compulsive perfectionist who won year after year without fail. I'm not so sure he can't do it again. Would be nice to see if he could.

Could care less about his personal life although my take is that some of the mentality that makes him so competitive may not be conducive to lasting relationships. But so what? You're not gonna change him. He, for one, truly did things his way, and that's what made him a winner.

Pretty much my thoughts.

Weird, in a way. Most dominant rider in Tour de France history, gets hammered on a internet bike forum---for things like "his girlfriends look like his mom", and "...he doesn't spend enough time with his kids...". Tough crowd.

I hope Lance comes back and rides well. Figure I have enough of my own personal problems to not be trying to diagnose and analyze his.

BumbleBeeDave
09-10-2008, 07:40 AM
I particularly like the part where he states he discussed the matter with his children and family before deciding. His kids are 9 and 7 (twins). What the hell is he going to "discuss" with them about this? And I wonder if there were any discussions with the children's mother about what was best for them? It may be partly about fighting cancer, but it's obviously far more all about him. I'm sure in future years those kids are going to be very proud that Dad's cancer charity and cycling ego were more important to him than they were as kids.

Need I get any more sarcastic to make my opinion clear? :butt:

BBD

=============================

Armstrong coming out of retirement for Tour

By JIM VERTUNO, AP Sports Writer 1 hour, 5 minutes ago

AUSTIN, Texas (AP)—Look out France, Lance Armstrong is making a comeback.

The 36-year-old Armstrong is breaking out of his three-year retirement and aiming to win yet another Tour de France in 2009, a move sure to shake up things across the Atlantic and give a boost to a sport that has missed its biggest star.

In a formal statement Tuesday, Armstrong called his comeback an attempt to raise global awareness in his fight against cancer. Just as likely, it’s also about his relentless desire to compete and win, especially at the Tour, which he won a record seven times from 1999-2005.

Citing the slow pace of last year’s Tour and the rush from last month’s Leadville 100 race, Armstrong decided it was time to return.
ADVERTISEMENT

“This kind of obscure bike race, totally kick-started my engine,” he told Vanity Fair in an exclusive interview, referring to the lung-searing 100-mile mountain bike race through the Colorado Rockies. “I’m going to try and win an eighth Tour de France.”

Tour director Christian Prudhomme told The Associated Press on Wednesday that Armstrong would be treated just like any other competitor, and must “follow all the rules today, that are much more strict than they were.”

“If Lance Armstrong is at the start of the Tour de France, it will be the same thing for him and for his team,” Prudhomme said. “There won’t be any exceptions.”

Armstrong’s riveting victories over cancer and opponents on the bike, his work for cancer awareness and his gossip-page romances have made him a modern-day American icon.

Professional cycling and particularly the Tour have missed Armstrong’s allure, even though skeptics refused to believe he could win without the help of performance-enhancing drugs.

Prudhomme noted the suspicions of drug use that followed Armstrong, and suggested that it wasn’t guaranteed that the former champion would make it to the start line next July.

“Suspicion has followed Lance Armstrong since 1999, everyone knows that. But in this proposed comeback … you have to remember we are in mid-September and that much water will run under the bridge until the Tour de France departure in Monaco,” Prudhomme said.

Armstrong is determined to silence the doubters. He’s even hired a video crew to chronicle his training for 2009, as well as his drug tests, for a possible documentary.

“There’s this perception in cycling that this generation is now the cleanest generation we’ve had in decades, if not forever,” said Armstrong, who’s never tested positive. “And the generation that I raced with was the dirty generation. … So there is a nice element here where I can come with really a completely comprehensive program and there will be no way to cheat.”

And if he has his way, no way to lose.

“We’re not going to try to win second place,” Bill Stapleton, Armstrong’s lawyer and longtime confidant, told The Associated Press.

Diagnosed in 1996 with testicular cancer that had spread to his lungs and brain, doctors gave Armstrong less than a 50 percent chance of survival. Surgery and brutal cycles of chemotherapy saved his life.

From there, it was determination and powerful self-discipline that led him back to the bike and his stunning 1999 Tour win.

“I am happy to announce that after talking with my children, my family and my closest friends, I have decided to return to professional cycling in order to raise awareness of the global cancer burden,” Armstrong said in a statement released to The Associated Press. “It’s now time to address cancer on a global level.”

In a video on his foundation’s Web site, Armstrong said details of the comeback—such as a team and schedule—will be announced Sept. 24 at the Clinton Global Initiative in New York.

The 2009 Tour “is the intention,” Armstrong’s spokesman Mark Higgins told The Associated Press, “but we’ve got some homework to do over there.”

“I think it’s great,” said longtime teammate George Hincapie, who spoke to Armstrong on Tuesday morning. “He’s done more than anyone for the sport, especially in America.”

Armstrong, who plans to train in Aspen, Colo., will be 37 next week. Only one rider older than 34 has ever won the Tour—36-year-old Firmin Lambot in 1922.

Armstrong noted other athletes in his age range competing at a high level, specifically 41-year-old Olympic medalist swimmer Dara Torres and 38-year-old Olympic women’s marathon champion Constantina Tomescu-Dita, of Romania.

“Ask serious sports physiologists and they’ll tell you age is a wives’ tale,” he said.

Torres certainly agrees.

“To hear that he’s making a comeback, that just shows what kind of athlete he is and that he doesn’t think age is anything but a number,” she said from her Florida home.

Armstrong also must line up a team. His U.S. Postal Service and Discovery teams were loaded with top lieutenants, such as Hincapie, when he won his previous titles.

On Monday, the cycling journal VeloNews reported on its Web site that Armstrong would compete with the Astana team in the Tour and four other road races—the Amgen Tour of California, Paris-Nice, the Tour de Georgia and the Dauphine-Libere.

Armstrong’s close friend and longtime team director, Johan Bruyneel, told The Associated Press by phone Wednesday that he would welcome working with Armstrong again.

“My relationship with him goes beyond the professional rider-director relationship. I don’t see myself running a team and having to race against him,” Bruyneel said. “It’s all happening so fast, so it’s a little difficult for me now. I don’t want to run too fast, but I can say that I cannot imagine him being on another team. We are obviously going to have to speak a lot in the next few days.”

There are no guarantees Astana will race the 2009 Tour. Race officials kept the team out this year because of previous doping violations.

If Armstrong and his team aren’t invited in 2009, he plans to appeal directly to French President Nicolas Sarkozy.

“I’ve already put a call in to him,” he said.

Off the bike, the Lance Armstrong Foundation has raised hundreds of millions of dollars for cancer awareness and survivorship programs. Its yellow “Livestrong” wristbands that started selling in 2004 are still seen everywhere — with many copycats.

After he retired Armstrong took on cancer as a political issue, lobbying federal and state lawmakers and co-hosting televised forums with presidential candidates. He was instrumental in persuading the 2007 Texas Legislature to pass a $3 billion fund for cancer research.

“This is a damn war for me. It’s nothing other than that,” he told the AP in 2007.

Armstrong’s social life has done just as much to keep him in the spotlight.

After his divorce from wife Kristin, the mother of his three children, Armstrong has had high-profile relationships with rocker Sheryl Crow, fashion designer Tory Burch and most recently, actress Kate Hudson.

AP Sports Writers Jerome Pugmire in Paris and Beth Harris in Los Angeles contributed to this report.

Erik.Lazdins
09-10-2008, 07:46 AM
I think there is a lot of potential for some serious sponsorship money to come in to solidify the Tour of Georgia and the sport itself. I hope the pro level of the sport gets some funding and prospers because of this. The last few years have seen numerous teams fall due to lack of sponsorship. I'd love to see Coca-Cola and other iconic American brands to support the sport. (sorry Bud!)

Other plusses are that there WILL BE TV COVERAGE for the races Lance does do.

Will the team be Astana or will it be a totally new team chosen by Lance and Bruyneel? I would expect Trek will be the bike provider.

I expect personnel changes in many teams to be announced shortly.

johnnymossville
09-10-2008, 08:35 AM
Erik, what you said sounds right on the money. I can see all of that happening.

I can't see Contador wanting to stay on the team if Armstrong is riding. Also, Armstrong is gonna need some Super Domestiques. It's gonna get interesting, that's for sure.

BumbleBeeDave
09-10-2008, 08:44 AM
It should be interesting to see what happens with Astana--if anything--and whether Lance does end up with Bruyneel again. Also where contador ends up. I'm sure he's just itching to prove he could win the Tour again in a race where so many other contenders weren't thrown out during the race.

BBD

I think there is a lot of potential for some serious sponsorship money to come in to solidify the Tour of Georgia and the sport itself. I hope the pro level of the sport gets some funding and prospers because of this. The last few years have seen numerous teams fall due to lack of sponsorship. I'd love to see Coca-Cola and other iconic American brands to support the sport. (sorry Bud!)

Other plusses are that there WILL BE TV COVERAGE for the races Lance does do.

Will the team be Astana or will it be a totally new team chosen by Lance and Bruyneel? I would expect Trek will be the bike provider.

I expect personnel changes in many teams to be announced shortly.

jmc22
09-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Win, lose or crash...if LA returns to the sport and does do the TDF, one cannot deny the buzz and media attention that he will have created for the TDF of the Cancer foundation which is a win-win in my book.

Charles M
09-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Maybe he just wants to do a Dara Torres.

Given his other off season training I would say drop the "a" and you may have something.

That said, I think this is about 1 thing...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/riders/lance-8fingers.jpg

rounder
09-10-2008, 12:41 PM
There was a good story about LA in the Washington Post today by Sally Jenkins who co-wrote his books. She made it sound like he is doing this for his fight against cancer. That was the part that was interesting to me. She mentioned that he has already raised $265 mill for his foundation and that he campaigned hard to successfully win a $ 3 bill appropriation for the fight against cancer in Texas. My guess is that he will be too old and out of shape to win the next TDF...but who would bet against him.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/09/AR2008090903397.html

BumbleBeeDave
09-10-2008, 12:59 PM
There was a good story about LA in the Washington Post today by Sally Jenkins who co-wrote his books. She made it sound like he is doing this for his fight against cancer. That was the part that was interesting to me. She mentioned that he has already raised $265 mill for his foundation and that he campaigned hard to successfully win a $ 3 bill appropriation for the fight against cancer in Texas. My guess is that he will be too old and out of shape to win the next TDF...but who would bet against him.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/09/AR2008090903397.html

. . . that Jenkins writes about him. Huge conflict of interest and objectivity. I surmise this is one reason he's going back to pro cycling--in cycling he has enormous control over what kind of info comes out about him. As soon as he retired he lost some of that control--and we know how much he likes to have control. He goes out to dinner with Ashley Olsen--and next morning it's in a dozen gossip columns he has no control over. At least given his popularity and power in pro cycling he does have some control. If you're in the cycling press and write something he doesn't like, you get no more access. His ghost writer is about the last person I'd trust for any objective info about what he is doing or why.

I will be much more interested to hear what others have to say . . . Andreu, Livingston, other pro cyclists, even Lemond--and others who may not necessarily have an axe to grind, but who also have no fear of speaking their minds. There are some current team leaders and others whose worlds are going to be severely disrupted because Lance has decided to prance back into the picture. Will any of them have the cojones to call this the exercise in egomania that it is? He can pontificate all he wants about fighting cancer, but this is so obviously all about him as much or more than it is about fighting cancer.

BBD

Charles M
09-10-2008, 02:04 PM
At what point do any of us not work and expect benefit from it...?

I think the largest difference here is that while most folks work to serve themselves, very few actually have the risidual effect of benefitting others, even fewer do it with massive public exposure...

At that point, passing judgement on the people that serve themselves as well as benefiting others as simple egomania might better qualify as pontificating than a guy speaking and acting, at least in part, for a charity?

scottcw2
09-10-2008, 02:18 PM
He can pontificate all he wants about fighting cancer, but this is so obviously all about him as much or more than it is about fighting cancer.

BBD

Just as much of Bono's charity work has the benefit of promoting him and his band also. Let's disparage him, too. :rolleyes:

Has anyone who is bashing Lance done even a fraction of the good works that he has accomplished for cancer research??? if so, bash away. If not... thanks for the peanut gallery input.

BumbleBeeDave
09-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Just as much of Bono's charity work has the benefit of promoting him and his band also. Let's disparage him, too. :rolleyes:

Has anyone who is bashing Lance done even a fraction of the good works that he has accomplished for cancer research??? if so, bash away. If not... thanks for the peanut gallery input.

Time for me to shut up and go for a ride . . . :crap: :rolleyes:

BBD

mikki
09-10-2008, 02:49 PM

Good thing everyone doesn't analyze why I do every little thing in my life! I don't think anyone would come out unscathed.

Just keep on doing what you are doing for cancer research and for cycling Lance!!

I bet he could care less what all the critics are saying anyway! (except to fuel his ride)

Ozz
09-10-2008, 04:28 PM
who cares if Lance races or not.....one of his buddies rides a Serotta!

A Life-Cycle of His Own
Talking With Jeff Tyler, Senior Portfolio Manager, American Century Investments
http://online.barrons.com/article/SB122065350686805319.html?mod=9_0031_b_this_weeks_ magazine_mutual_fund&page=sp

:beer: :banana: :beer:

(this is not an endorsement of American Century Investments.....I was just reading Barrons today and saw a picture of a dude on a bike!)

andy mac
09-10-2008, 11:51 PM
Skippy's view:

Evans' Tour chances 'slim' if Armstrong returns

Rupert Guinness
September 11, 2008

CADEL Evans will not be able to beat Lance Armstrong in next year's Tour de France should the 36-year-old American be close to the form that led him to win the race a record seven times.

That is the forecast of Phil Anderson who, until Evans' second places in the past two tours, was Australia's best-performed overall finisher in the tour with five top-10 placings, including two fifths.

"It's sad for guys like Cadel," Anderson said of Armstrong's plan to come out of retirement and add an eighth title to his last in 2005.

"Lance is at another league. Everybody will have to get so much better — that's if he comes back as the old Lance. I don't believe Cadel can beat him if he comes back anyway near as he was."

Anderson, who rode with Armstrong on the American Motorola team before retiring in 1994, was stunned to learn yesterday of the news of a comeback.

"I can believe at this stage that is what they are saying, but I wouldn't be surprised if at the last minute (they say), 'Oh yeah … something's come up … my shoes don't fit. I won't be able to do it this year or something," he said.

A win age 37 would make Armstrong the tour's oldest champion, surpassing 1922 champion Belgian Firmin Lambot who won at 36.

Armstrong decided on a comeback after placing second in the Leadville Trail 100 mountain bike race in Colorado early last month.

He confirmed his return in Vanity Fair magazine where he said: "I am going back to professional cycling. I'm going to try to win an eighth Tour de France."

Armstrong said via email that he will not reveal any more details of his comeback plans until September 24 when he holds a press conference in New York.

The news still raised many questions, ranging from what will be his future team and final schedule, to whether or not the tour organisers with whom he has had a strained relationship would welcome him back.

Logic says he would join Astana, run by Johan Bruyneel who guided him to seven wins. But how could either party expect a smooth transition back into a team that is currently led by 2007 winner Spaniard Alberto Contador and American Levi Leipheimer who are both intent on trying to win themselves?

But as Bob Stapleton, owner of Team Columbia, warned Armstrong's American fans: "He can be polarising. There may be a different view in Europe about this than in the US. It's a provocative issue."

Tour Down Under organisers in South Australia are excited and intend to invite him to race in next January's race. However, the odds of that are slim. His fee should be far too high (it was for an earlier invitation as a guest), and the six months in which Armstrong must be registered in the dope testing system before he can race only expires in time for a February start.

nohappen
09-11-2008, 03:52 AM
too much ego to stay retired and see that the world turns without him.

rspecker
09-11-2008, 08:05 AM
Lance riding in '09 - awesome if it's true!

girlie
09-11-2008, 09:34 AM

SadieKate
09-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Deleted for diplomacy. :)

BumbleBeeDave
09-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Couldn't resist :D
www.pitsagainstpalin.com

Why, why, WHY??? . . .

It's NOT funny. Why is there this continued obsession with posting political stuff that does nothing but start arguments? It has NOTHING to do with cycling! :crap: :crap: :crap:

BBD

girlie
09-11-2008, 10:12 AM

girlie
09-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Why, why, WHY??? . . .

It's NOT funny. Why is there this continued obsession with posting political stuff that does nothing but start arguments? It has NOTHING to do with cycling! :crap: :crap: :crap:

BBD

Totally mess up on my part....needed coffee....meant to post under the Lipstick thread.

BumbleBeeDave
09-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Please refer to the above post.

I will call my friends at the Forest Serivce and order an air drop of coffee at your location via tanker. Go outside, look up, and open your mouth!*

BBD

* You might want to wear a raincoat. :D

crossjunkee
09-11-2008, 04:16 PM
He's well on his way, this proves it!

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_10438214

BumbleBeeDave
09-11-2008, 09:44 PM
He's well on his way, this proves it!

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_10438214

. . . the OTHER international pro bike racers in this local 10 mile charity race WERE . . . ??? :confused: :rolleyes:

I believe this Sunday there's a race with some real pros in it. Let's see how he does there before commencing the writhing in ecstasy . . .

BBD

gdw
09-11-2008, 11:11 PM
He knocked off some talented competition. Beating Len Zanni (pro), Max Taam (pro? very talented endurance rider), and Nat Ross (pro, 2007 National Ultra-Endurance Series champion) is impressive and good off season training.

BumbleBeeDave
09-12-2008, 06:11 AM
He knocked off some talented competition. Beating Len Zanni (pro), Max Taam (pro? very talented endurance rider), and Nat Ross (pro, 2007 National Ultra-Endurance Series champion) is impressive and good off season training.

. . . then his win looks a lot better. I was going on personal experience and the available written info. We do not have that caliber of competition locally here.

BBD

dsteady
09-12-2008, 10:18 PM

BBD

I hate to ruin a good conspiracy theory but. . .

LAF's last audited financial statements from (2006) show assets of 59 million. I seriously doubt the Foundation is struggling, even with the current markets. Even following a 5% payout formula LAF could continue to make significant contributions to cancer research and afford to keep itself very public for along time.

More likely the guy just can't stand not to compete. Think about the rigors of training for the TdF. There are much easier ways to raise awareness for your foundation than that.

daniel

mikki
09-13-2008, 01:03 AM
LAF's last audited financial statements from (2006) show assets of 59 million.

Let's see...that's about 59 million wristbands?

dsteady
09-13-2008, 10:12 PM
Let's see...that's about 59 million wristbands?

Actually, I think the 59 mil is just LAF's administrative budget. I'll bet he sold many more wristbands.

gdw
09-15-2008, 01:31 AM
Armstrong, Taam, and Zanni teamed up to win the 12 hours of Snowmass yesterday.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/mtb.php?id=mtb/2008/sep08/snowmass08
They beat a team with Dave Wiens and Mike Kloser on it.

bostondrunk
09-15-2008, 09:23 AM
The real Lance story (sorry if it was already posted):

http://www.serioussportsnewsnetwork.com/2008/09/lance-armstrong-goes-for-bike-ride-in-france-ends-up-unretired.html

Lazy Bill
09-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Armstrong, Taam, and Zanni teamed up to win the 12 hours of Snowmass yesterday.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/mtb.php?id=mtb/2008/sep08/snowmass08
They beat a team with Dave Wiens and Mike Kloser on it.
That is impressive.

BumbleBeeDave
09-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Actually, I think the 59 mil is just LAF's administrative budget. I'll bet he sold many more wristbands.

. . . their overhead percentage. In other words, how much of every dollar they collected actually went to cancer research vs. administrative costs. I don't know that figure, though, or where to go to get it.

BBD

rwsaunders
09-15-2008, 10:48 AM
. . . is that almost any thread here that mentions Lance inevitably develops into a heated exchange. He's not only fascinating--he's also an extremely polarizing figure. I once read a story where someone who had known him for a long time was quoted as saying there with Lance it's either 100% black or white--there is no gray. You're either 100% for him or 100% against him. These kinds of threads seem to evoke the same response from his supporters. If you're not 100% in support of him you're 100% against him. I don't dislike the guy at all. I just think he's not only one of the greatest cyclists ever. He's also a fascinating figure, not just for his athletic accomplishments, but for the qualities and personal background BBB alludes to. I think if he did not have those personal qualities and history that make him interesting, he never would have become the champion cyclist we admire. He's one in a million.

BBD

Dave.....I think that it's time to ban all subjects which involve politics, religion, Lance, helmets, mirrors and across the hall. What did I miss? :cool:

BumbleBeeDave
09-15-2008, 10:54 AM
Dave.....I think that it's time to ban all subjects which involve politics, religion, Lance, helmets, mirrors and across the hall. What did I miss? :cool:

. . . Campy vs. Shimano! ;)

BBD

Lazy Bill
09-15-2008, 03:15 PM
. . . their overhead percentage. In other words, how much of every dollar they collected actually went to cancer research vs. administrative costs. I don't know that figure, though, or where to go to get it.

BBD
Their website says this: "...80 cents of every dollar donated to the LAF has supported our cancer survivorship programs and initiatives to make cancer a national priority."
Financial statements are here, if you want to look for percentage going to research: http://www.livestrong.org/site/c.khLXK1PxHmF/b.2662367/k.5D4A/Financial_Information.htm

The BBB sets 66% as the lowest acceptable rate for a charity.

girlie
09-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Their website says this: "...80 cents of every dollar donated to the LAF has supported our cancer survivorship programs and initiatives to make cancer a national priority."
Financial statements are here, if you want to look for percentage going to research: http://www.livestrong.org/site/c.khLXK1PxHmF/b.2662367/k.5D4A/Financial_Information.htm

Lazy Bill your not so lazy...thanks for the information.
girlie

cadence90
09-15-2008, 04:20 PM

Yes, they're very good.
The LAF is one of the more highly rated (efficient) charities, and probably the best among cycling/sports-related charities: Lance Armstrong Foundation rating (http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=6570).

BumbleBeeDave
09-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Lazy Bill your not so lazy...thanks for the information.
girlie

My only uncertainty is how that compares to the ratios for other cancer charities like the American Cancer society or to other front line charities like the MDA, MS sociaty, etc.

BBD

cadence90
09-15-2008, 04:49 PM
My only uncertainty is how that compares to the ratios for other cancer charities like the American Cancer society or to other front line charities like the MDA, MS sociaty, etc.

BBD
NMSS rating = 59.61 (3 stars)
LAF rating = 52.49 (3 stars)
ACS rating = 48.11 (2 stars)
MDA rating = 46.00 (2 stars)

http://www.charitynavigator.org/

girlie
09-15-2008, 05:30 PM
cadence90 yo totally just bailed out Lazy Bill;)

cadence90
09-15-2008, 06:38 PM
I had to!

I was getting worried that BBD was going to take Lazy Bill to task for coloring the discussion too much.... :) :help: ;)

http://www.lie-insandtigers.com/sam/Web%20Images%20Large/One-Trick-Zebra-Large.jpg

BumbleBeeDave
09-15-2008, 07:12 PM
I wonder if I could get Champion to do a kit like that for me? They do short runs!

BBD

cadence90
09-15-2008, 07:17 PM
I wonder if I could get Champion to do a kit like that for me? They do short runs!

BBD
Sure you could! You have influence.

But you'd have to wear these on your rides:
http://images.netshops.com/mgen/digimarc.ms?img=master:PEEP084.jpg&h=368&w=368

Lazy Bill
09-15-2008, 07:19 PM
that charitynav site is interesting and informative.

Dave - since its such a good cause, can you now root for LA? ;)

BumbleBeeDave
09-15-2008, 07:35 PM
that charitynav site is interesting and informative.

Dave - since its such a good cause, can you now root for LA? ;)

I've never NOT rooted for him. I think he's fascinating!

We have too many Daves here . . . :rolleyes:

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
09-30-2008, 07:26 PM
. . . from today's VeloNews . . .

LeBlanc to Lance Armstrong: why?
By Agence France Presse
Posted Sep. 30, 2008

Former Tour de France director Jean-Marie Leblanc has questioned Lance Armstrong's motives for returning to race riding next year.

Leblanc, Tour director for all of Armstrong's seven titles, says in the editorial in the Velo Star review that the Texan took everyone by surprise by announcing his intention to bid for an eighth Tour de France in 2009.

"It seems that you want to collect funds for your foundation into cancer research. That's a laudable intention of course but was it necessary to get out your jersey and racing shorts given the revenue your conferences make in the United States?" he asks.

"They're also saying you haven't been overly impressed with the victories of your former rivals — (Oscar) Pereiro, (Alberto) Contador and (Carlos) Sastre — and that at 37 the challenge doesn't seem insurmountable; and that is something we can understand.

"But Lance, let's suppose that you'll still be competitive in 2009 — and that's a strong possibility — there is all the same a small problem which is bothering us.

"It's the side effects that your return will inevitably have on cycling's image.

"Us former riders generally have respect for winners, but that's not always the case with the public and above all the media who have heavy suspicions about you.

"The hounds will be let loose, column inches will be written, images repeated, and debate sparked about the one word which has petrified our passion over the past ten years: doping."

LeBlanc refers there to the persistent allegations of doping that have dogged Armstrong's career, his most vociferous detractor being France's sports daily L'Equipe.

Lifelover
09-30-2008, 10:38 PM
. . . from today's VeloNews . . .

LeBlanc to Lance Armstrong: why?
By Agence France Presse
Posted Sep. 30, 2008

Former Tour de France director Jean-Marie Leblanc has questioned Lance Armstrong's motives for returning to race riding next year.

Leblanc, Tour director for all of Armstrong's seven titles, says in the editorial in the Velo Star review that the Texan took everyone by surprise by announcing his intention to bid for an eighth Tour de France in 2009.

"It seems that you want to collect funds for your foundation into cancer research. That's a laudable intention of course but was it necessary to get out your jersey and racing shorts given the revenue your conferences make in the United States?" he asks.

"They're also saying you haven't been overly impressed with the victories of your former rivals — (Oscar) Pereiro, (Alberto) Contador and (Carlos) Sastre — and that at 37 the challenge doesn't seem insurmountable; and that is something we can understand.

"But Lance, let's suppose that you'll still be competitive in 2009 — and that's a strong possibility — there is all the same a small problem which is bothering us.

"It's the side effects that your return will inevitably have on cycling's image.

"Us former riders generally have respect for winners, but that's not always the case with the public and above all the media who have heavy suspicions about you.

"The hounds will be let loose, column inches will be written, images repeated, and debate sparked about the one word which has petrified our passion over the past ten years: doping."

LeBlanc refers there to the persistent allegations of doping that have dogged Armstrong's career, his most vociferous detractor being France's sports daily L'Equipe.

It might say something that Lance is not afraid to face all the questions again.

BumbleBeeDave
10-01-2008, 10:58 AM
http://www.velonews.com/article/83918/french-lab-offers-to-retest-armstrong-s--99-samples

It seems to be becoming apparent the French don't quite like Mr. Armstrong.

BBD

jdoiv
10-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Yeah, this puts LA in a bit of a bind. Does he say, "sure, go ahead test the '99 samples" and risk getting caught? Does he say, " sure, go ahead and test", only to have them come back positive and blame it on the French hating him?
Does he say, "sure test it", and then pass and have nothing more to prove. Or does he ignore it and hope we don't notice.

Only one scenario, works out in his favor. I doubt it's the one that will happen though.

BumbleBeeDave
10-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Yeah, this puts LA in a bit of a bind. Does he say, "sure, go ahead test the '99 samples" and risk getting caught? Does he say, " sure, go ahead and test", only to have them come back positive and blame it on the French hating him?
Does he say, "sure test it", and then pass and have nothing more to prove. Or does he ignore it and hope we don't notice.

Only one scenario, works out in his favor. I doubt it's the one that will happen though.

Very sneaky on the part of the French because no matter WHAT Armstrong replies, he damns himself with someone! Should be interesting to hear his reply--if he has one. My guess is that he would say go ahead and test them ,then really hammer on the age of the samples and the lack of chain of evidence possession.

BBD

jmc22
10-01-2008, 08:41 PM

What will it prove it they test it or not...were talking 99' here folks...00', 01', 02', 03', 04' & 05' all came back clean with their ability to detect for EPO... I remember that it was only a few short months ago when Riis admitted to taking EPO the year he won & I think the story showed up on page 40 one day and never again since....

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ- put it to bed already France's national anti-doping agency (AFLD)

BumbleBeeDave
10-01-2008, 08:58 PM
What will it prove it they test it or not...were talking 99' here folks...00', 01', 02', 03', 04' & 05' all came back clean with their ability to detect for EPO... I remember that it was only a few short months ago when Riis admitted to taking EPO the year he won & I think the story showed up on page 40 one day and never again since....

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ- put it to bed already France's national anti-doping agency (AFLD)

. . . doesn't say half so much about doping technology as it does about the French cycling establishment's obvious dislike for Armstrong, for whatever reason. Because they really think he doped? Because they are just tired of this guy winning "their" race at will? Doesn't really matter, I guess. They don't like him and they're making it obvious with ploys like this.

BBD

Onno
10-01-2008, 09:12 PM
. . . doesn't say half so much about doping technology as it does about the French cycling establishment's obvious dislike for Armstrong, for whatever reason. Because they really think he doped? Because they are just tired of this guy winning "their" race at will? Doesn't really matter, I guess. They don't like him and they're making it obvious with ploys like this.

BBD

All of the above, with a dash of general anti-Americanism, a heavy dose of anti-Texanism, and a dollop of general whining.

Charles M
10-01-2008, 09:54 PM
The whole damn thing is irrelevant.

The samples were the problem to begin with. The whole thing went to court and they tossed tha validity of the samples because they were not properly accounted for during the several years gone by.

Lance probably wont respond at all.

His lawyer will say "do what ever the hell you want with the samples. anything you find has already been ruled as bogus."

well maybe he'll say it differently... But

Charles M
10-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Ah, or maybe he will respond saying pretty much what he should...

MSNBC
Armstrong responded in a statement.

“Unfortunately, Mr. Bordry is new to these issues and his proposal is based on a fundamental failure to understand the facts,” Armstrong said.

“In 2005, some research was conducted on urine samples left over from the 1998 and 1999 Tours de France. That research was the subject of an independent investigation, and the conclusions of the investigation were that the 1998 and 1999 Tour de France samples have not been maintained properly, have been compromised in many ways, and even three years ago could not be tested to provide any meaningful results. There is simply nothing that I can agree to that would provide any relevant evidence about 1999.”

gdw
10-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Does anyone else find that a little bizarre? Pathetic? Sick?

BBB
10-01-2008, 11:31 PM

Not really. To quote from a USA Cycling Licence Application - "I agree that all urine samples in such cases taken shall become the property of the UCI and WADA, and that UCI and WADA may have them analyzed for any purpose, including, without limitation, general research and health protection."

The samples in question, and not just from LA, were tested in 2005 as part of a trial procedure to detect EPO. Given there is an on-going war against drug use in all sports and not just cycling, surely there is some benefit to keep blind samples for testing purposes.

Lifelover
10-02-2008, 06:42 AM

Yes on all accounts!

Talk about shaking a hornets nest. If LA wasn't really motivated before, he is now.

Charles M
10-02-2008, 12:02 PM

If it Dick Virenque won 7 tours and it were his samples, they would be fighting for permission to drink it... :beer: