PDA

View Full Version : no computer = more fun

vqdriver
09-07-2008, 03:20 PM
for various reasons, i've been riding without my computer lately and noticed that without the numerical reminders of my performance, my rides are much more enjoyable. i still catch myself glancing down from time to time out of habit. i get passed from time to time, but without knowing my speed, i actually don't care as much now. didn't realize how fixated i was on speed/distance. now i just take a watch and make sure i'm home in time for football. :D

Ti Designs
09-07-2008, 03:58 PM
So your rides would be longer if you also didn't have a TV???

regularguy412
09-07-2008, 05:11 PM
I've been riding my CSI for over a year, now, without a computer. I have a HRM/cyclocomputer mounted on my TG for training purposes. When I ride the CSI, I only take along my standalone HRM. I ride the CSI on longer rides and ride strictly monitoring heart rate. I find the CSI rides are much more pleasurable and I usually complete them at about the same speed that I would have, had I been trying to monitor and keep a particular 'speed' average. I really don't miss the computer on the CSI, except when someone asks me how far I rode. I just have to estimate based on the elapsed time and the amount of climbing I did.

Mike in AR:beer:

vqdriver
09-07-2008, 06:02 PM
So your rides would be longer if you also didn't have a TV???
Yup. But only in the fall on Saturdays. And I'm totally cool with that ;)

CNY rider
09-07-2008, 06:12 PM
I used my cycle computer precisely once this year: At Deerfield where you have to keep track of where you are.
Haven't missed it at all.
I'm not any faster or slower than I used to be and I'm having more fun.
How "fast" I am is an irrelevence for me anyway. I'm not racing anyone. If I get faster it just means I get home a few minutes earlier at the end of my ride. Big deal.

dauwhe
09-07-2008, 06:15 PM
I sometimes put black electrical tape over the speed display on my computer. I like seeing the mileage; everything else isn't so good.

Dave

BoulderGeek
09-07-2008, 06:45 PM
I never put a computer on my Nove.

Sometimes I will ride with a Forerunner GPS. But, most of the time I just want to enjoy the ride experience.

oldfatslow
09-07-2008, 07:46 PM
I do a weekly ride that features guys and gals who have a lot more time to train then I do and are younger then I am and have lower body fat than me and who are STRONG STRONG STRONG.

On the one run where they really haul headed for the one and only sprint of the ride I never even find the urge to look at my Polar. I know we're flying, I know I'm pegged, and I know I need to pedal faster.

You computer is not important when you are beyond your limits.

WadePatton
09-07-2008, 08:26 PM
I've gone without for years on the atb. I like it on the roadies. Just gots a 305 Garmin and it's easy to just drop it in your pocket and check the info later. The "calories burned" data is great to justify the big honkin' mexican plate with a cervesa grande to wash it down. Love checking the gradient and elevation stuff post ride.

I could do without, but am trying to go faster and only have me to ride with most of the time.

Ride happy.

Jack Brunk
09-07-2008, 08:46 PM
I've gone without for years on the atb. I like it on the roadies. Just gots a 305 Garmin and it's easy to just drop it in your pocket and check the info later. The "calories burned" data is great to justify the big honkin' mexican plate with a cervesa grande to wash it down. Love checking the gradient and elevation stuff post ride.

I could do without, but am trying to go faster and only have me to ride with most of the time.

Ride happy.
Wademan,

Check out the new Garmin 405 forerunner and all you have to do is wear it on your wrist and get all the same plus more info as the 305. It's great for both biking and running and the software is outa sight. The watch is the same size or smaller than a regular watch.

Your the man.

Frankwurst
09-07-2008, 09:07 PM
I went riding one morning about 4 years ago and when it was over I realized I didn't care how far I'd been or what my average,top or any other speed was. Pulled my computers, gave them away and just don't care. Rode this morning for two hours. I still wear a watch. :beer:

Fixed
09-07-2008, 09:20 PM
you are half way there now get rid of all those gears you don't need
cheers :beer:

tbushnel
09-07-2008, 09:26 PM
sorry for the thread hijack.

Wademan,

Check out the new Garmin 405 forerunner and all you have to do is wear it on your wrist and get all the same plus more info as the 305. It's great for both biking and running and the software is outa sight. The watch is the same size or smaller than a regular watch.

Your the man.

Any problems with the touch bezel thing? I have heard that if it gets wet it doesn't work. I live in a the rainy NW and kinda figured I could never use it here for that reason. Plus I kinda sweat alot.
thoughts?
cheers,
ted.

chuckroast
09-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Ok Ok, let's break this down a little further. I could get on board with not worrying abiut speed. But don't you guys log your miles? I suppose if I rode on routes that I know the mileage for this would be covered. I also like to tell my wife "I'll be back in X hours." I don't wear a watch but again, I tend to ride routes that are very familiar and predictable as to time. I think I'm talking myself into this.

Frankwurst
09-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Ok Ok, let's break this down a little further. I could get on board with not worrying abiut speed. But don't you guys log your miles? I suppose if I rode on routes that I know the mileage for this would be covered. I also like to tell my wife "I'll be back in X hours." I don't wear a watch but again, I tend to ride routes that are very familiar and predictable as to time. I think I'm talking myself into this.

I leave and tell the wife I'll be back in X amount of hours and I'll be within 15 minutes either way. That's close enough for me.

paczki
09-07-2008, 09:54 PM

That's a great thing about bikely and mapmyride. You can always figure it out afterwards (or before) if you want to know.

johnnymossville
09-07-2008, 10:05 PM
I got to use my brother's Garmin 405 in a stage race recently and the data it gathers is fantastic. He's a runner, but I could see using it on the bike for sure.

Wademan,

Your the man.

deechee
09-08-2008, 09:36 AM
since I got a powertap on my tri-bike, the serotta road bike is purely an "enjoy-the-ride". no computers, just ride how I feel.