PDA

View Full Version : Cooperation Serotta / Jamis in the 90s

bonoman
09-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Hi there,

I own a 1993 Jamis Dakar MTB, which was obviously built by Serotta (it has Serotta decals). It's a Ritchey Logic Competition steelframe. Does anyone know the history of this collaboration between Jamis and Serotta?

Cheers,

Ansgar

Pete Serotta
09-07-2008, 02:28 PM
As far as I know there was no interaction between JANIS and Serotta. Additionally, I do not recall Serotta ever using Ritchey Concept tubing.

At one time Serotta made straight gauge ti tube road frames from Schwinn, but that is the only one I know about.

PETE

Kines
09-07-2008, 02:48 PM
I had a turquiose Jamis Diablo (1988ish) and then a purple Jamis Aurora (1993ish) from that era, both were pieces of junk (but I guess as good as any mass produced bike at the time) that I hope weren't associated with Serotta in any way.

Maybe someone slapped a random sticker on yours?

KN

bonoman
09-07-2008, 03:40 PM
... the serotta decal is definitely part of the original outfit of the bike. i remember the catalogue pics, and since i bought a brandnew bike and the decal is coated it's proven. at the time was at eye level with bridgestone mb1, brodie sovereign or breezer, so it's definitely on serotta-level - and a pretty good frame! i had a sovereign, in my opinion the dakar frame is even more balanced.

(the aurora was a "homemade" jamis with a columbus frame and a slightly different geometry).

David Kirk
09-07-2008, 04:00 PM
We did build a bunch of bike for Jamis, I don't recall much about them. Straight forward tigged bikes if I remember right. I don't remember how many we made but it wasn't that many. It was a simple subcontract deal. I'd guess it was around 1992 or so.

Dave

Pete Serotta
09-07-2008, 04:11 PM
I stand corrected!! Find something new everyday. ;)

Kines
09-07-2008, 05:26 PM
LOL!!

and on my post above, it originally concluded with something like ".... I seem to learn something new every day, so I'll stay posted here...." but I edited the post for length.

Still, MY two Jamises were no Serottas! The first one split right down the seat tube and was replaced by the heavyweight, noodly Aurora through the dealer, and that one I sold a few years later in a yard sale. Those were the days...

KN

Marcusaurelius
09-07-2008, 06:14 PM
I remember ritchey logic prestige being used in high mountain bike frames and of course tange prestige but I don't remember ritchey logic competition in any high end mountain bike frames.

bonoman
09-08-2008, 03:06 AM
you are right - it's a ritchey logic prestige steelframe.

cheers,

bonoman

Ken Robb
09-08-2008, 11:27 AM
I had a turquiose Jamis Diablo (1988ish) and then a purple Jamis Aurora (1993ish) from that era, both were pieces of junk. KN
Inquiring minds want to know: If the first one was junk why did you buy a second? I had to ask. If we can't needle our pals who can we needle? :rolleyes:

OOps, I text too slowly--your answer came up while I was thumbing my keyboard. :beer:

Kines
09-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Inquiring minds want to know: If the first one was junk why did you buy a second? I had to ask. If we can't needle our pals who can we needle? :rolleyes:

OOps, I text too slowly--your answer came up while I was thumbing my keyboard. :beer:

Yup. The first one was cheap, the second was free. You get what you pay for, as they say...

Even then, "piece of junk" is a bit of an exaggeration. I got some great use out of each of them, and some really good times. I was fresh out of school and even the Diablo was more than I could afford. But it had Biopace. I just had to have that Biopace. LOL. At the time, I had that bike and a 3-speed "Goodyear" beach cruiser that I got for free.

KN

crossjunkee
09-08-2008, 02:16 PM
I would dream of the Jamis Dragon back in the day. I think the Dakar was a model down, it was nice too. They still make a nice steel hardtail, even if it is made over "there". If you're racing on a budget, they're a solid choice.

Can you take a few pic's and post them up?

bonoman
09-08-2008, 03:51 PM
pics will come soon, i just finished the upgrading of the bike.

the dakar was top of the line in 1993, followed by aurora and dakar sport. and there was a 28'' deore xt-bike named coda, as far as i remember.

bonoman
09-27-2008, 02:36 PM
here we go: pics from the recently renovated jamis dakar. built in 1993.

http://fotos.mtb-news.de/sets/view/10292?1222543784

would love to see other jamis dakar bikes!

cheers,

b.

Bill Bove
09-27-2008, 02:55 PM
I just ordered a 2009 Jamis Xenith SL frame. Jamis makes some nice bikes.

crossjunkee
09-27-2008, 05:02 PM
here we go: pics from the recently renovated jamis dakar. built in 1993.

http://fotos.mtb-news.de/sets/view/10292?1222543784

would love to see other jamis dakar bikes!

cheers,

b.

very nice, good job!!!