PDA

View Full Version : New Gilles Berthoud Leather Saddle

Ahneida Ride
09-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Any insights ? More comfortable then a Brooks?
How about that under carriage ?
Expected price range = 250 frn, I suspect the Ti model for go
for a wheelbarrow of frns ....

Interesting eh?

http://www.wallbike.com/berthoud/JPG/gb3saddle.jpg

http://www.wallbike.com/berthoud/JPG/gbsaddleparts.jpg

from the wallbike.com blog

The Berthoud leather saddle comes in three colors: black, “cork” and natural. The natural color is not dyed and will vary with the hide used. The saddles are pre-softened by hand.

The initial model is a casual-riding saddle, something between the B.17 and the Team Pro. It will come in men’s and women’s version. Plans include sport models and lightweight models.

The Berthoud saddle has many unique features. A partial list includes:
Extra thick leather
The leather can be easily removed with an allen key
Patented tensioning mechanism that won’t twist
Flexible cantle plate for extra comfort.
Lighter than a Brooks
Brass washers engraved “Gilles Berthoud France”
Nose washer engraved with sequential serial number

Brian Smith
09-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Looks pretty ideale...

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/France/parts/Ideale/Ideale_60s_relieved.htm

Ahneida Ride
09-07-2008, 02:07 PM
My reflections exactly ....

Just how comfortable is that "Ideale" vs. Brooks profile ..... ?

Ken Robb
09-07-2008, 02:21 PM
no bag loops.

Ahneida Ride
09-07-2008, 02:28 PM
no bag loops.

Yea ... What is the logic ?

Can someone give me a big DUH? :crap:

I'd be lost without my Carradice zipped roll ...

acorn_user
09-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Berthoud was speaking to an ex-Ideale employee about these saddles, so the similarities are no accident. You'll note that the rivets are pointed away from the posterior. I often find myself sitting on the rivets of my team pro (which is as far back as possible).

stuckey
09-07-2008, 05:12 PM
These look interesting, I wonder how much lighter then a Brooks it will be and if the leather will actually last? I just might have to get one and have Selle Anatomica cut it up.

thejen12
09-07-2008, 09:41 PM
I wonder if it has longer rails so you can slide it back further?

Jenn

Boundgear
09-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Looks like a cheap and a very wide ideale. You could find a 90A for a lot less than that.

Mrushton
09-08-2008, 07:41 AM
These look interesting, I wonder how much lighter then a Brooks it will be and if the leather will actually last? I just might have to get one and have Selle Anatomica cut it up.

Why not just buy a Selle Anatomica in coloured hide? It might be possible to get eg Berluti (www.berluti.com) to recolour it.

stuckey
09-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Why not just buy a Selle Anatomica in coloured hide? It might be possible to get eg Berluti (www.berluti.com) to recolour it.

I already have three different colors of Selle Anatomicas and love them. I am just saying if it is a lot lighter I would buy one and have them cut it. I so not understand the reason why a saddle has to weigh 440 grams.

Brian Smith
09-08-2008, 06:11 PM
My reflections exactly ....

Just how comfortable is that "Ideale" vs. Brooks profile ..... ?

Who knows for sure, and for whose anatomy, but so far, as far as mine goes, the score is Ideale 1 for 1, Brooks 0 for 4.

Bill Laine
09-27-2008, 07:16 AM
The Berthoud saddle does have bag loops incorporated in the crescent. There is also a built-in KlickFix bracket for saddlebags.

On my blog I have posted a PDF of Berthoud's brochure for this saddle. You can see much better pictures. The brochure also includes his new leather grips, tape, and bar plugs. The pictures are better than mine.
http://www.wallbike.com/blog

Berthoud is using thicker leather than Brooks.

The saddles will be pre-softened and waterproof.

The clamp area on the rails is longer than other leather saddles.

The material used to make the crescent has some flex. This should increase comfort.

When Berthoud got the idea to make leather saddles he had conversations with a ex senior production person from Ideale.

Gilles looked at Asian sources for some of his components but he decided to keep all components French-made. This was a generally attracrive idea that seemed to make good marketing sense.

The first model is an all-around design. Sort of between a B.17 and a Team Pro. Gilles thought he would go with a sportier model next but at Eurobike all he heard was make a wider sprung version. Before a new version can be thought of there is much work to establish this model in the market so there is no hurry for a decision on what comes next.

I have a great deal of respect for Gilles Berhoud. He is dedicated to making a superior product in design and finish. The saddle looks wonderful on paper and in person. Of course, it is only a grand concept until riders start putting miles on it.

Bill Laine
Wallingford Bicycle Parts

corky
09-27-2008, 08:49 AM
The design looks promising but personally that looks to wide for my posterior.

stuckey
09-27-2008, 08:57 AM
495 grams, that is heavy for the way it is constructed. I think I will stick with Selle Anatomica... When will someone make a leather saddle that is less than a pound?

Ahneida Ride
09-27-2008, 09:17 AM
One just has to love this Phorum .....
So many illumanaries post here. Thanks for the info Bill...

Will the GB have the 6 month return Policy?

I'd love to try one and compare it to my Brooks B17 Ti.

I could care less about weight. Comfort is king !!!!!

On Paper, the GB appears quite remarkable! Next generation.

tys
09-27-2008, 10:53 AM
When will someone make a leather saddle that is less than a pound?

I think most, if not all, of the Brooks Ti models are less than a pound, though not much less. My Swift is about 360g (0.8 lb).

tys

Ahneida Ride
09-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Brooks B17 is 540 grams

Brooks B17 Ti is 435 grams

1 pound is 454 grams, so the Ti version is just under 1 pound .. ;)

Weighs are from the Harris Cycle site

39cross
09-27-2008, 01:08 PM
The pdf brochure shows matching handlebar tape and leather bar end plugs to complete the ensemble. Nice. These are going on my Sunday rode for sure.

alancw3
09-27-2008, 02:32 PM
a very nice saddle. i particularly like the way you can remove the leather. where was this saddle 40 years ago?

Ahneida Ride
09-27-2008, 03:23 PM
The pdf brochure shows matching handlebar tape and leather bar end plugs to complete the ensemble. Nice. These are going on my Sunday rode for sure.

Brooks bar tape is ok. I'll leave it there.
Price does not complement quality,

The GB wrap appears several notches up.

Bill Laine
09-27-2008, 05:02 PM
One caution about the lighter saddles and the bar tape.

The saddles are natural cow hide. No dye. The tape is natural calf skin. No dye. It is unlikely that you will get a perfect match. Maybe with use the colors will come together.

Bill
Wallingford Bicycle Parts

Ahneida Ride
09-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Bill

Getting leather to match and obtaining a steady supply stream is not easy.