PDA

View Full Version : LBS question

scottcw2
09-06-2008, 07:24 PM
I have two bike shops nearby. One is a large, full service shop with everything from entry level to high end zoot frames, jerseys, components and a fully staffed service dept. The other is a smaller 1-2 man shop that focuses on high end frames only.

I prefer to give my business to the smaller shop because it is more personal. My conundrum is that I have never bought anything there, just had my bikes built or serviced. I feel bad that I buy all my frames and components used and then have them put it all together for me.

I would not feel this way about the larger shop because they don't need me to buy anything to stay in business. Is it bad form to use an LBS for service only on frames bought elsewhere? Does anyone else do this?

Fixed
09-06-2008, 07:30 PM
they make money on service buy lube and tires and tubes some small tools and they will be happy imho
cheers

Frankwurst
09-06-2008, 07:39 PM
What Fixed said. They probably make more turning wrenches than selling a bicycle. :beer:

Blue Jays
09-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Throw them some of your additional accessory business when you can and I'm sure they'll be appreciative.
Keeping local businesses humming helps downtown districts to remain lively and attractive.

Ti Designs
09-06-2008, 07:52 PM
I would not feel this way about the larger shop because they don't need me to buy anything to stay in business.

Yeh, I hear they print money in the basement...

Who started the rumor that big shops don't need business? Can someone please explain the economic model there?? Is there a trust fund that I should know about???

Ahneida Ride
09-06-2008, 08:35 PM
My LBS is a one man shop.

Rick would be be most appreciative of your business.

most of the frames he services were not purchased at his shop.

Rick and I suspect most small LBS hope that new clients will result in
repeat business.

stuckey
09-06-2008, 08:48 PM
My old shop was a one man shop and the owner was great. He recommended buying wheels online and would build up frames from elsewhere for super cheap. My new shop or one I go to most here is great. I buy small things there and had them cut down the steerer tubes on my last two customs. They do not seem to mind that I buy elsewhere since they do not sell campy and I build all of my own bikes now.

scottcw2
09-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Yeh, I hear they print money in the basement...

Who started the rumor that big shops don't need business? Can someone please explain the economic model there?? Is there a trust fund that I should know about???

Because they get a ton of walk in business being that they are located on a heavily walked stretch of an extremely upscale business area located in one of the wealthier areas in the SF Bay. The smaller shop is on a side street several blocks off the main strip. The larger shop also have the advantage of having the entry level business that the smaller shop lacks.

Ahneida Ride
09-06-2008, 09:00 PM
I make every attempt to make purchases from my LBS.

I receive competitive prices.

Thus my LBS is not insulted by any means when I purchase an item
he can't obtain and ask him to install it.

Rick came in to the shop, at dinner time from home, to install
my TA crank. (purchased from Peter White) and charged me peanuts
to do the work. (try that at a non one man shop)

A happy rider = more sales. That simple.

Dave B
09-07-2008, 05:24 AM
Because they get a ton of walk in business being that they are located on a heavily walked stretch of an extremely upscale business area located in one of the wealthier areas in the SF Bay. The smaller shop is on a side street several blocks off the main strip. The larger shop also have the advantage of having the entry level business that the smaller shop lacks.

OK, but a "big" shop probably carries a larger overhead, higher rent in the area you mentioned, and depending on the brands, might have to carry items that are sent with out them wishing for it. Specialized is notorious for throwing in a high end frame/bike with your order and making you try to sell it.

Big shops small shops, does it really matter, their goal is the same. Sell you bike stuff.

I think what is important is that any customer build relationships with his/her local shop.

A.L.Breguet
09-07-2008, 08:26 AM
If I had a shop, I wouldn't mind someone bringing in used stuff bought elsewhere. Can't fault a customer for saving on the bits and paying for expert service.
Just don't question their pricing for service that makes you happy, and everyone will be happy.
I'd say it's probably ok to buy new stuff elsewhere and have 'em wrench it up, too. Just don't rub their noses in the great prices that you get at megaintranetsbikeemporium.com.
If they are good mechanics, continue to give them your hard earned $.

rePhil
09-07-2008, 10:01 AM
I know the owner of a successful LBS, the largest oldest in the area. Our relationship goes back 30 + years when he worked for his father and I bought bikes for my kids and myself.
He likes boats (my previous career) and I like bikes so we always have plenty to talk about. Saying that, I haven't visited in over a year. I buy online for price, and do all my own work. He knows and the topic has never come up.
There were times I would stop in and he would be out so there was no asking for any discount, so I gave up and shop online.
He also knows that I refer a lot of customers to his store. But the last two people who went to buy a bike say they were treated rudely.
Plus my son recommended him for a nice fleet deal of over 20 new bikes and accessories plus service and I heard he wouldn't match a $20 difference.
I really need to visit and talk boats I guess...

Peter P.
09-07-2008, 03:57 PM
The one caveat I can think of regarding the small shop, or any shop for that matter, is buying items elsewhere that the local retailer also sells (only because "elsewhere" was cheaper) then asking the local shop to install it.

If the local shop is okay with that, then there's no problem. To me, it's a matter of respect.

Some shops don't mind because they still make a living charging for labor; if that's their business decision, then fine.