PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning

William
10-29-2004, 05:08 PM
This was posted on the cycling list of my college team. Just thought I would share.

WIlliam

Transitioning to a new season
By Joe Friel
UltraFit.com
10/26/2004
With the end of the race season and the approach of winter, it's time to shift your training emphasis to Base period objectives.
In the last few months you've been singularly focused on race-specific training with workouts that simulate the conditions of your most important races. As the season closes down, I find that it's very difficult for athletes to make the switch from the Build to Base period.

For one thing, athletes don't want to give up their hard-won race fitness. For another, they find it difficult to make the changeover.
I witnessed a good example of this phenomenon this morning on my long, easy ride. I was passed by a dozen roadies who were flying with a few women and a junior in tow. All were huffing and puffing, some more than others. This was your typical Sunday morning hammer session.
Most of the riders in this group are well on their ways to ruining their 2005 season and it's only November 2004! It's a shame, but I see athletes do this every year.
Let's start with the first issue: Can you maintain your race fitness from the 2004 season until the first A-priority race in the spring of 2005? No, you can't. It's impossible.
Fitness is transient. The finer elements of race fitness, such as anaerobic endurance and sprint power, take just a few weeks to fully develop -- maybe six to eight. Once you bring these elements to a peak they begin to fade no matter how hard you try to hold onto them indefinitely.
Those elements that take the longest to initially build stay with you the longest after the race season ends. Endurance is a good example of this, but even it fades after a while.
Attempting to maintain race fitness from one season to the next will only lead to lower levels of race fitness in the subsequent season -- if you aren't first stopped by the overtraining syndrome or burnout.
Now for the other issue: Athletes find it difficult to change their training at the end of the season to something that is altogether different. Maybe it's a feeling of guilt from doing less. Or maybe they're just in a rut.
Or perhaps they have no idea what they are doing in training and so rely on the local group rides, runs or swims to provide "structure." Whatever the reason, continuing to do the very same hammer sessions all winter will not be productive.
All of this raises the issue of what you should do in the Base period of training as you start preparing for 2005.
For the athlete whose next "A" race is 20 or more weeks away, there are three elements of training you should be working on now or after you've had a few weeks to "transition" from your last race. They are:
Endurance
Long, slow workouts are best for this. "Slow" means you are at least at 50 percent of VO2 max, which is around 60 percent of your max heart rate, or about 40 to 50 beats below your lactate threshold heart rate.

The physical purposes of these sessions are to 1) improve or maintain heart, lung and blood function, 2) train the muscles to rely more heavily on fat for fuel, and 3) improve the efficiency of the slow-twitch muscles.
Endurance training also provides a nice mental break from intense training.

Force
Weights, general strength training, low cadence/big gear rides and "easy" rides in the hills all are good strategies for improving force.
As for weights, my Training Bible books describe in great detail a weight-room periodization plan.
As for the other workouts to improve force, be sure to make them aerobic. No hammering. Just steady efforts against resistance. For swimmers, paddles and drag devices (T-shirts, carpenter's apron, etc.) also improve force as does working on a Vasa Trainer.
Speed skills
This is probably the least understood aspect of training, yet the one that most athletes stand to gain the most from.
"Speed skills" refers to being able to efficiently make the movements of the sport at the speed required of the sport. For example, almost anyone can efficiently pedal a bike at 50 rpm on a flat surface in a low gear. But if you want to turn a high gear at 100 rpm, that's a different story.
This takes a lot of training to develop. The starting place is with being able to turn the cranks efficiently at 100 rpm in a low gear. Or being able to run and swim efficiently at race speed.
The workouts here revolve around drills. For cycling, these may be one-leg pedaling, spin-ups or fixed-gear riding. Runners can do high-turnover, relaxation strides. For swimmers the possibilities for drills are almost limitless. Swimming has done more with speed skills development than any other endurance sport.
It won't be easy to give up your Sunday morning hammer session in favor of a long, easy workout, force work or drills. But by doing this you'll find that your race fitness next season develops to a high level -- much higher than if you insist on doing the same things week after week.

weisan
10-29-2004, 05:16 PM
Thanks William for posting this, I didn't know this before but acquired this new knowledge recently. And that's exactly what I am doing right now + core muscle building. I tell you man, it's hard for me to let people blow past me on the climbs but I am getting used to it now. :D

bcm119
10-29-2004, 05:43 PM
Excellent article- thanks. I've started doing "enjoy the scenery" rides lately, and guess what- they're alot of fun. The grass farms are starting to turn deep green around here, and with the yellow oaks and dark pines, it makes for some beautiful fall rides, even if the weather is marginal. Its a whole different type of riding, and its just as fun and necessary as the hammer sessions.

pale scotsman
10-29-2004, 11:18 PM
Yo Big Will - Thanks for posting this. I have a riding bud that I affectionately call the cable guy. Ever see the movie? Well it's him. This dude kicks *** but just can't reach the next level, which is 3 or 4 times ahead of me, because he always trains balls to the wall. I've sent this on to him hoping he'll heed. :beer: :banana: :beer:

dirtdigger88
10-30-2004, 08:39 AM
Hey big man,

Please tell me you scanned this- I pray you did not sit down and type the whole thing?

Jason

William
10-30-2004, 08:49 PM
Not a problem folks. Sharing is what makes this forum so nice.

I have to admit that I can easily fall into this trap. I ride a lot on my own and my internal tempo drives me to pretty much always go fast & hard. I don't have a problem riding on group rides, I'll match tempo with what ever every one is doing. On my own though it's hammer time. If I round a corner and I see somone, I'll catch them. If I see some one behind me, they aren't catching me.
I have to force myself to slow down and take it easy. This article came along at a good time to remind me to slow down and take it easy for a while.

dirtdigger88:

Peck
peck
Peck
Peck
Peck
peck
Peck
:D

William the Scanner man :)

toaster
10-30-2004, 10:49 PM
It's almost November 1st, a date that for me begins eight to ten weeks of base. With that in mind I decided that today I'd ride with the group and ride my easy pace off the back until they were gone. Once we were out of the city limits it was no contest, I was riding easy and they were going like it was June or July.

Group riders are notorious for going almost fast all year long, problem is that almost fast is not the same as fast. You gotta go fast to be fast and gotta learn how to go slow so you don't always go medium.

A transition period is something more riders should notice. Take a look at the guys who are never at the front of the group ride riding tempo off the front in Oct-Nov when almost all the fast racers aren't even showing up for group rides.

I can go for a few miles of socializing with the people in the group but I can just as easily handle getting dropped in order to ride my ride.

William
09-23-2005, 05:22 AM
It's getting close to that time of year again so I thought I would bring this back for your viewing pleasure. ;)

William

kong79
09-23-2005, 06:21 AM
Thanks for bringing this back. Now I have an excuse for being slow. "Hey, I'm not a slug, I'm just transitioning"

Fixed
09-23-2005, 07:41 AM
Bro our group rides are the same hammer sessions year in and year out in the winter I don't go to front and try to take the sprints? or pass on the group rides but they are the only time I get see other cyclist. I get a lot of easy riding on the job.a guy likes to have some fun. :beer: Cheers :beer:

Ray
09-23-2005, 08:15 AM
Thanks for bringing this back. Now I have an excuse for being slow. "Hey, I'm not a slug, I'm just transitioning"
Yeah, I'm on this program year round! :D

Seriously, though, September and October are generally when I have my fastest and most enjoyable rides. It's when all the conditioning I've built over the summer combines with really nice weather and allows me to (relatively) fly. If I'm wrecking next season, so be it - these are the rides I live for! And since I'm slow and don't race anyway, I'm not too concerned with hitting some theoretical peak next spring.

As for riding 40ish beats below LT, I just don't know how to do that. I can do it on flat ground, but we don't HAVE any of that around here. On my slowest, easiest rides, there are hills that will still take me into the 150s unless I bring mountain/touring bike gearing, which I don't have on my road bikes.

-Ray

Tom
09-23-2005, 08:42 AM
That part about not being able to give up the hammerfests because you feel it'll take away from your fitness next spring? That's the best part of this time of year! Every ride in the dark or on a cold day or in the cold rain and snow is a bonus ride and I'm not trying to be all sharp for something in December or January so this time of year is cruise time, baby! I love being able to back down and enjoy myself because who gives a damn. It's all just miles in the legs as late as possible into the fall and early winter. Any ride on the road is better than a trainer session. That it has a purpose is just gravy.

William
09-23-2005, 10:38 AM
...That part about not being able to give up the hammerfests because you feel it'll take away from your fitness next spring? .

Hey Tom, I don't recall saying that I felt "it would take away from my fitness next spring". If I actually said that, I need to have my Doctor post my prognosis (for my shortly to be scheduled mental exam) on the forum. :rolleyes:

William ;)

coylifut
09-23-2005, 10:42 AM
...go on vacation with the wife and kids for 2 weeks, while leaving the bike at home. on this vacation, drink a lot of beer and eat high fat foods. when I come back, my RBC is so low, I've got no choice but to ride 40 beats under LT. that's my idea of a transition.

I leave for Hawaii on December 14th, a few days after the last cross race. oh yeah.

Tom
09-23-2005, 10:51 AM
There's the one thing in there where he asks if you can hold race fitness from November into next year's "A" race... that's what I was busting on.

Fixed
09-23-2005, 11:20 AM
It's almost November 1st, a date that for me begins eight to ten weeks of base. With that in mind I decided that today I'd ride with the group and ride my easy pace off the back until they were gone. Once we were out of the city limits it was no contest, I was riding easy and they were going like it was June or July.

Group riders are notorious for going almost fast all year long, problem is that almost fast is not the same as fast. You gotta go fast to be fast and gotta learn how to go slow so you don't always go medium.

A transition period is something more riders should notice. Take a look at the guys who are never at the front of the group ride riding tempo off the front in Oct-Nov when almost all the fast racers aren't even showing up for group rides.

I can go for a few miles of socializing with the people in the group but I can just as easily handle getting dropped in order to ride my ride.bro, this guys knows what he's talkin about.cheers :beer:

beungood
09-23-2005, 12:00 PM
"Hey Tom, I don't recall saying that I felt "it would take away from my fitness next spring". If I actually said that, I need to have my Doctor post my prognosis (for my shortly to be scheduled mental exam) on the forum.

William "

Don't tell him anything about hitting us with Rattan sticks or fencing foils and I think you will be ok....... :banana:

William
09-23-2005, 12:13 PM
Don't tell him anything about hitting us with Rattan sticks or fencing foils and I think you will be ok....... :banana:

SHHHhhhhhhh!!!!! :D ;)

William

PS: They're Sabers. MORE HEIDENS FOR YOU!!!!!! :D

William
09-23-2005, 01:05 PM
There's the one thing in there where he asks if you can hold race fitness from November into next year's "A" race... that's what I was busting on.

Hello Mr. Tom,

This is Dr. Harold Schphincta and I am the neurological surgeon for William who
has told me that you noticed some mental inconsistencies in his writing/forum postings.

Upon examination, William was transfered to my care at the Neurological Mind-Meld Institute because he needs specialized treatment for his Condition. I am working with a palm reader Madam Cluffinckersham to assist in his care.

I have attached straight jacket to William (with the help of ten orderlies) today after several procedures. As a result of that exam, both the frontal and occipital lobes of William's brain have been repeatedly shocked and fed Pop-Rocks. He has tried to escape several times and had received several courses of shock therapy and Sandy aversion training as a result. His brain cultures showed a heavy growth of Basidiomycota (mushrooms).

At presentation, he danced chronically and put the staff in an elevated level of Hystrionics.* He thought he had an extramarital fixator draining his account. Turned out to be his Basset Hound hoarding Milk Bones.

He is basically a mess.

Dr. Harold Schphincta
Neurological Mind-Meld Institute

chrisroph
09-23-2005, 01:15 PM
William--Thanks for posting this. One of the best things about this time of the year is changing your patterns and trying other things.

Tom
09-23-2005, 01:19 PM
The part that is weird is that I started this kind of riding, except for the drills, this week... something to do with the length of the days, maybe?

William
10-30-2006, 08:04 AM
It's that time again....

William

znfdl
10-30-2006, 08:08 AM
William:

Thanks. I broke out my fixed gear for my commute this morning and will be riding this throughout the winter. The gear will either be a 42x17 or a 42x16.