PDA

View Full Version : Hutchinson Tubeless and Deep V

dekindy
09-05-2008, 01:46 PM
I have ridden the thread by Ergott and some other comments and reviews on RoadBikeReview.com and think I might like to try them. Any horror stories that I should know about?

Has anyone had experience with Velocity Deep V rims?

Is there any problem with the Stan's sealant? I saw one short reference that it should not be used because of a reaction with the rim but nothing else. Is there anything to this?

dekindy
09-06-2008, 07:29 AM
Anybody?

ergott
09-06-2008, 08:40 AM
Go for it.

dekindy
09-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Go for it.

I forgot to note when you started using the Stan's Road System and Hutchinson tires. I trust it is still working fine. How many miles so far? Any flats?

On another note, as a wheelbuilder, have you had any difficulty getting White Industries H2 hubs to build up without having to retension them after a few rides. My rear wheel spokes detensioned and have been fine since the retensioning. When I picked up my front wheel on Friday he cautioned me that the same thing might happen with this wheel and he thinks he knows why if it does. He observed something about the hub, I forget exactly how he phrased it, but to the effect that it might be preventing the spokes to get seated properly in the hub despite all the normal stress relieving done during the build. Make any sense?

ergott
09-06-2008, 10:39 AM
I did rebuild the set I had to the Edge 38 clinchers so I no longer run the tubeless. They were fine, but I needed the hubs. I planned on using the tubeless on the Edge rims, but the tires didn't seal as well to the carbon fiber rim so I abandoned the project for now. I'd do it again in the future and I think that the Reynolds carbon clinchers might lend themselves to the tubeless better due to the bead consistency, but my Reynolds are 66mm deep and can't take the standard valve. The problem with using an extension on the valve is that it won't be threaded so nothing will hold the valve in place. Not sure if that's a good idea.

I have good luck with the WI hubs and no issues with tension. Perhaps do more stress relieving during buildup to avoid tension loss. How much tension did they lose?

dekindy
09-06-2008, 11:09 AM
I did rebuild the set I had to the Edge 38 clinchers so I no longer run the tubeless. They were fine, but I needed the hubs. I planned on using the tubeless on the Edge rims, but the tires didn't seal as well to the carbon fiber rim so I abandoned the project for now. I'd do it again in the future and I think that the Reynolds carbon clinchers might lend themselves to the tubeless better due to the bead consistency, but my Reynolds are 66mm deep and can't take the standard valve. The problem with using an extension on the valve is that it won't be threaded so nothing will hold the valve in place. Not sure if that's a good idea.

I have good luck with the WI hubs and no issues with tension. Perhaps do more stress relieving during buildup to avoid tension loss. How much tension did they lose?

The spokes all seemed to lose the same amount of tension so the wheel stayed true. Is this normal? But they were very loose. The side with the least tension (ds or nds) wiggled easily.

The current Stan's kit includes 44mm valves. My Velocity Deep V is 30mm deep so that only leaves 14mm, slightly over 1/2 inch of the valve exposed. Is that enough clearance to be able to air up the tire?

ergott
09-06-2008, 11:18 AM
The spokes all seemed to lose the same amount of tension so the wheel stayed true. Is this normal? But they were very loose. The side with the least tension (ds or nds) wiggled easily.

The current Stan's kit includes 44mm valves. My Velocity Deep V is 30mm deep so that only leaves 14mm, slightly over 1/2 inch of the valve exposed. Is that enough clearance to be able to air up the tire?

I was just able to get the locknut on the Edge rim which is 41mm. You will be fine.

dekindy
09-06-2008, 11:26 AM
I was just able to get the locknut on the Edge rim which is 41mm. You will be fine.

Thanks.

dekindy
09-08-2008, 04:15 PM

I received a reply back from Pete Kastner at NoTubes.com indicating the valve is not long enough and they are working on developing one that will work with Velocity Deep V. I asked for an expected time frame and will report back when I receive a reply.