PDA

View Full Version : Tournesol....

Pete Serotta
09-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Thought this would be of interest.....I really liked the bikes and Douglas's logic (yeah STEVE too :) ) They LOVE all things bike!!!

http://www.hampsten.com/Tournesol/words.html
__________________________________________________ _____________
Looking to time-honored traditions - because sometimes the old ways are still the best - we incorporate the best of modernity's innovations in design, material, and engineering. Our aim is to build bikes that will be ridden hard and valued because they work brilliantly and they look beautiful.

Tournesol's inspiration comes primarily from the great French traditions of "constructeur" bicycles designed to incorporate all functioning parts into a greater whole, a true gestalt in which the entire bike creates a singular experience. Every Tournesol is different because each one matches its owner's vision of the perfect go-everywhere, do-everything bicycle.

Each bicycle is conceived as a whole, from beginning to end, it is much more than the sum of its parts. Sometimes a Tournesol will have aluminum mudguards mounted to round the wheel with elegant symmetry; lighting that integrates so it is safe, reliable, and out of the way; and front or rear carriers that are built with lamp mounts and are able to support bags that fit perfectly.

A Tournesol uses wider road tires than your typical racer to improve the "roll" or it might use another wheel size altogether, such as the famed 650B when you want the best in all-around or "rough stuff" riding. A Tournesol might use new old-stock parts that represent the best of the past, if that's your fancy, or it might be equipped with the most up-to-date innovations in carbon and index shifting.

At Tournesol they work with you to design and execute a bike that suits you in every way. We are here to listen to your ideas and suggestions, your preferences and needs. We'll then offer our professional input to fit and size, design and paint, equip and bring to your door a true "constructeur's bike"---a bicycle custom built to your specifications. You can have a Tournesol almost any way you like.

dauwhe
09-05-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm pretty darn happy with mine!

Dave

Blue Jays
09-05-2008, 01:30 PM
That's why I'm looking forward to my upcoming lugged steel Tournesol in a couple months!

Ahneida Ride
09-05-2008, 01:44 PM
At the TdFL, Douglas looked at my bike and told me exactly how she rode.
Amazing ! How de do dat ?

I rode with Thom on Sunday, He was on a Tournesol. Sweet bike.
Painted Yellow Ti with Al fenders.

Another bike to lust after. ;)

Kirk007
09-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Ah, nothing but a beercan ; ). I love this beercan. In fact its my favorite beercan in many a day.

www.hampsten.com/images/models/thumbs/tournesol/ledger/beercan01.jpg

Tom Byrnes
09-05-2008, 03:11 PM
I love my 650B titanium Tourensol!!

At the 2006 Ramble, I borrowed and rode Douglas' carbon Tourensol. I loved it and decided to order a bike from Douglas and Steve. After talking with Steve and Douglas at the Ramble, I ordered A 650B titanium Tournesol shortly thereafter. Other than selecting a 650B to be made with a titanium frame, I left EVERYTHING ELSE (components, and accessories, colors, etc.) up to them.

When my bike arrived, I had no idea what to expect. The bike was complete equipped with Campy, Nitto, Honjo, Brooks, etc. I added only my pedals of choice (Speedplays [for old knees]).

It is a stunningly beautiful bike and a great handling bike. I rode it at the Hampsten Camp in Santa Ynez in March and rode it for three days up and down the hills at our recent Ramble. Surprisingly, there isn't a huge weight or performance penalty in climbing or descending when compared to my MeiVici or carbon Parlee.

I cannot recommend too highly working with Douglas and Steve. You will not meet two nicer guys and the proof of their abilities is the wonderful bike they built me.

Thanks for reading.

Tom

Pete Serotta
09-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Tom is fast on this 650B....... He looks cool :cool: :cool:

Blue Jays
09-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Not to mention it was the coolest "maize" color one could imagine! :)

Ahneida Ride
09-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Tom is fast on this 650B....... He looks cool :cool: :cool:

Amen Pete .... ;)