PDA

View Full Version : Building core strength at home?

scottcw
10-29-2004, 09:31 AM
What exercises can I do at home to build core strength? I do not live close enough to a gym nor do I have time with my work schedule. I could probably get in an hour a day at home.

I see that www.performbetter.com has several products that could help, which would be best?

Richard
10-29-2004, 09:34 AM
Do crunches, sit ups and leg lifts. No equipment needed.

M_A_Martin
10-29-2004, 10:07 AM
Go to www.coreperformance.com and buy a book. Follow their workout plan. It takes very little equipment.

The workouts take less than an hour and are very complete. You'll see results quickly.

zap
10-29-2004, 10:18 AM
As above plus you can purchase a roman chair to do back raises.

William
10-29-2004, 10:26 AM
JC Bands
Smart Vest
Stability ball

Short change equipment that you can take anywhere and will give you a wide range of execise possibilities to stregthen your core muscles...plus many others.

PM me and I'll set you up with some goodies. ;)

William :)

dirtdigger88
10-29-2004, 10:39 AM
I have an old Soloflex that i have had for years. The thing is great. I can put it together in the basement during the off season and take it back apart while I am riding more. I work on sit ups and roman chair sit ups. I also do squats. My old strength coach use to tell us to work the largest muscles and the others will follow.

Jason

OldDog
10-29-2004, 12:06 PM
May I add to be very very careful with the roman chair sit ups. To clarify, what I know (and have) as a roman chair, a device where you mount it face down, supported at your waist and hooking ankles under pads, and lower yourself down 90 degrees, so you are bent in half. Then lifting yourself back up to zero degrees, your back and legs nearly straight. A reverse sit up. If your back is not accustomed to this motion, don't over do it at first, starting with just a few reps and easing into it over a month or two, or three. Also get into a stretching routine for a few weeks prior to starting the roman chair.
It's a great device, however if your not already stretched and strong in that area of the lower back, it's best to ease into this one very slowly. I got mine a t a local fitness machine retailer, the brand is a Body Soild, $99.00 and worth every penny.

toaster
10-29-2004, 02:28 PM
I'm a personal trainer and my advice to you is to buy two books and use the information contained therein.

Pilates for Dummies by Ellie Herman
and, Overcome Neck and Back Pain by Kit Laughlin

Core strength is best gained by building strength in the deeper layers of the abdominals, the tranverse abdominus, not the "six pack" rectus abdominus as commonly believed. The posture and flexibility taught by Kit Laughlin addresses alot of what will prove very helpful on your bike.

William
10-29-2004, 03:24 PM
Core strength is best gained by building strength in the deeper layers of the abdominals, the tranverse abdominus, not the "six pack" rectus abdominus as commonly believed.

I agree. I personally think the material from Juan Carlos Santana is the way to go. Google him or go to Performbetter.com.

William

Trouble
10-29-2004, 08:44 PM
Stability Ball, Fitness Ball, Swiss Ball, etc. and the 12 or so workouts that you can do with it, will kick your arse guaranteed and not just your core, hams and glutes too.
Also Pilates has helped a lot.
While getting my $150 professional bike fitting, I was told my core strength was weak, very weak and was probably accounting for poor performance.
So, after coming home with my tail between my legs I got very busy with core strengtening, proper pedal stroke and a lot more deep stretching.
3 months later, Mon-Wed-Fri X 30 minutes...much better performance and no more saddle sore because I'm able to keep my upper body more stabalized while my legs fire, no more lower back issues at 60+ miles. No more numbs hands, longer funner rides...yippee.