PDA

View Full Version : Pedals with longer spindles?

benb
09-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Does anyone know of a company making road pedals with different spindle lengths?

I am just curious.. last month I put my triple cranks from my MTB on my Serotta for a hillclimb.. I thought the bike felt better with the wider Q-factor.

I'm not interested in buying new cranks, as I already have 2 sets for the road bike. I already tried sticking an extra washer on the pedal, that seemed to help a little but I'm thinking it's not safe to add any more.

I have never even seen a list of lengths.. it is hard enough to find a reliable list of crank Q-factors, but then everyone goes and ignores the pedal part of the equation.

It seems like most people are always craving narrower Q-factor.. I was thinking this has to be just like everything else and some people need/prefer wider.

dauwhe
09-04-2008, 02:42 PM
I would love pedals with longer spindles, to improve crankarm clearance (I pedal like a duck).

Dave

benb
09-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Ooh.. might order these.. too bad they are so expensive..

http://www.kneesaver.net/

They are cheaper then pedals though.

I have my cleats mounted all the way to the inside of my shoe now.. 20mm sounds like a very long way out but I'd be able to move the cleats back to the center of the shoe if it was too wide.

Seems like the answer.. I see the comments about "my heels hit the chainstays".. that's me, I have to be super careful to get the cleats lined up just right to avoid hitting them. (My shoes are size 47)

dauwhe
09-04-2008, 03:06 PM
I've been tempted to try those.

I can only ride "low profile" cranks, so my heel doesn't hit the crankarm. So I have a TA Zephyr in the basement I can't ride :(

Dave

benb
09-04-2008, 03:21 PM
I ordered some.. I'll post up my experience when I get them.

Sandy
09-04-2008, 03:26 PM
I use Look CX 6 and Look CX 7 pedals for one reason- They have an adustable Q factor. Mine are set with max Q factor. I actually think I prefer a smaller Q factor, but my ankles do not. Without these pedals, my ankles rub against the crankarms as I pedal with my heels in some and toes our some (like a duck). Unfortunately, these pedals are quite expensive and are no longer made. If you could find a pair of new or used ones, that might help you a great deal. There have been some offered in the Classified Adds on the Forum from time to time. I bought a pair of the CX 7 at a much more than fair price.

Another possible suggestion- What crank arms do you use? Some crankarms, appear to me, to be parallel to the plane of the bike. But some are not, such as the ones that I have used- Dura-Ace and Shimano Compact. They tend to flare out as one moves from the bottom bracket outwards, hence potentially giving you more heel clearance if that is in fact an issue.

:banana: Quack Quack Serotta Sandy :banana:

benb
09-04-2008, 03:31 PM
I had seen references to those pedals but couldn't find any for sale..

Only reason this even popped up into my head is after riding exclusively on the road all year, I rode for the past 3 weeks exclusively on my MTB.. I got back on the road bike today and could really feel the difference.

They might be slightly TOO wide on my MTB, but it does feel better.

Grant McLean
09-04-2008, 04:31 PM
It's not well known, but speedplay apparently makes their pedals
with different axle lengths.

I believe Look had a recall on their adjustable Q pedals a while back.

Ti Designs
09-04-2008, 06:45 PM
I've needed to use CX-7 pedals on maybe a half dozen people in the last 10 years. Oddly enough, two of them are on the same tandem... I do have need for CX-6 pedals from time to time, there's a set sitting in my toolbox right now. For SPD shoes I've found a way of moving the pedal out by 1cm that's clean, strong and not too expensive. Both the M520's and M540's use the same thread to insert their spindle, but the 540 has the longer stainless spindle while the 520 uses an extension on the pedal body. I simply put the M540 spindle into the M520 body. My shop has knee savers in 2cm and 2.5cm. The problem with them is they need to put a threaded section into the pedal and then extend a threaded section beyond that, so 2cm is the shortest they can go. I've never needed that much q factor - not saying is can't happen, but I've done a few fittings...

Jeff Weir
09-04-2008, 07:55 PM
You can order from speedplay either pedals with diff length spindles or replacement spindles (of varying lengths)

Total cake to install

rustychisel
09-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Keywin make their pedals with differing spindle lengths also. I use standard width (cannot recall the mm) which give pretty good clearance, but they're readily availbale in differing widths.