PDA

View Full Version : HBar Preference

don'TreadOnMe
09-04-2008, 07:33 AM
I like round bars, mostly b/c I like brifters lower than the top of the bars.
I've got Deda Newton shallows, and I love where the hoods are, and I love where the bottoms are, but I hate the hooks in the drops -- they are too tiny for my hands.

Soooo, shallow round drop, larger radius hook than the Newton shallow?
What do you men and women like?

I don't want a ton of drop and reach, just more room for my hands in the hooks. Oval? Ritchey? Pro? 3T?

Thanks in advance...I've gone through the archives, and nothing's popping up as a Eureka! thread.

John H.
09-04-2008, 10:53 AM
3T rotundo?
Just a bit bigger than Ritchey or Deda- but not a deep drop bar

johnnymossville
09-04-2008, 11:06 AM
I like Round Bars for the look and feel.

FSA Energy T for me, though I really want to try a 3T Rotundo like CSC uses.

Ti Designs
09-04-2008, 06:55 PM
I still use Cinelli 65's. Making crit bars must be a lost art 'cause nobody does it any more. people don't get the shape, they all want wide, flat top bars...

John H.
09-04-2008, 07:27 PM
I was thinking the same thing a few days ago while I was riding an SLR saddle.
It felt great in a dynamic position. Hips rolled forward on hoods or in drops. Sit upright and move back to the tops and it feels awful.
Parts have been made more and more to accomadate a recreational or aging position. Cush saddles, short and upright stems, and flat top bars all allow you to sit on a bike like a toad.
Not all a bad thing if it gets people to ride who would never be out there if they had to do it on an aggresive racing set-up.

I still use Cinelli 65's. Making crit bars must be a lost art 'cause nobody does it any more. people don't get the shape, they all want wide, flat top bars...

BdaGhisallo
09-05-2008, 04:20 AM
How about the Deda Newton Round deep drop?

don'TreadOnMe
09-05-2008, 06:45 AM
Thanks all, I really appreciate your insight.
Like saddles, finding the right bar is like a search for the holy grail.
L8'er!

Hardlyrob
09-05-2008, 08:07 AM
Another vote for Cinelli 65's - got three sets for the road bikes.

Lots of folks rave over the Nitto Noodles - I've never tried them.

Rob

jbl
09-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Another vote for Cinelli 65's - got three sets for the road bikes.

Lots of folks rave over the Nitto Noodles - I've never tried them.

Rob

I love the Noodles, but if the OP doesn't like a flat ramp, they're probably not for him/her. Also, they have a fairly deep drop. At least, I feel like mine do. Nitto makes a huge line of handlebars, though. I'd be surprised if there weren't something there to satisfy.

giordana93
09-05-2008, 10:02 PM
they aren't that easy to find, but the oval concepts has a pretty traditional bend (doesn't e-ritchie have a stash? I could pay the 30%..), and you can actually still find cinelli 64's. they, and many of the traditional bends, don't work quite as well with the flat transition hoods that campy and shimano have moved towards, esp. for getting a good braking position in the drops, but it's not that bad if you don't have small hands. fsa has an aluminum one that is worth seeking out,, now called energy I think, but on ebay sometimes under the old model of rd200 or sth like that. I'd be interested in trying the 3t mentioned above, as I'm definitely a round bar kinda guy (grew up on the 64-40s).