PDA

View Full Version : OT: The Three Amigo's European Rail Trip...

Kevan
09-03-2008, 02:31 PM
So me, my dad (83) and son (near 18), three generations, are about to embark on a 2 week trip starting in the Netherlands, working our way west through Belgium, France and Chunneling to London and parts there about. We'll be using Euro Rail to move about probably selecting the 5 or 8 day travel option. The passes include Luxembourg so we might include it too in our visits, though I'm not sure. We know we want to visit cities such as A'dam, Bruges, Ghent, Normandy, Honfleur, and other cities within France on our way to Paris, but I'm open to further suggestions. My father is still pretty spry for 83, but he likes the notion of finding a seat in a quiet square and a nice glass of wine and let the populace come to him. I will tell you...he's a good walker too.

Once we cross over to the UK, we'll have 2 days in London but I would like to visit some towns outside for additional attractions such as Stonehenge, Salsbury, Bath and the like.

You folk have always been a terrific source for ideas so please, let me have yours. Keep in mind we don't want long train rides, but rather quality stops. My son would prefer walking around than visit countless museums and churches, but that's his cross to carry. We'll mix it up good while enjoying a glass and watching the people. The two weeks are in mid-October and no...Octoberfest isn't in the cards.

Thanks in advance folks!

johnmdesigner
09-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Holland is the greatest place in the world to ride. If your father can let you go for an afternoon rent a bike at the train station and take a spin.

Also, take the train to Delft and have Dutch pancakes and beer in the square.

Leuven in Belgium is a beautiful university town.

Brugge is a bit touristy but beautiful. Take one of the boats on the canal.

And the beer is divine.

Also, buy the "Time Out" guide to restaurants in Paris. I had some great meals there last year that were affordable.

Ken Robb
09-03-2008, 06:47 PM
a day visiting Windsor Castle and Eton is hard to beat.

maunahaole
09-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Catch the movie "in Brugges" dark but funny...like a fairytale town.

Never been there, but Maastricht in the netherlands seems like a cool spot.

Make time for some tasty Calvados in Normandy.

Karin Kirk
09-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Sounds like a really fun trip Kevan. I like the idea of three generations traveling together.

The only place I've been to lately that is on your itinerary is Amsterdam and some of the Netherlands countryside. You already know that renting a bike and riding in Amsterdam is mandatory, so I hope you get to do that! I've also ridden north of Amsterdam to visit some of the fishing villages, and it's great riding along the coast with lots of windmills and dikes and classic Dutch scenery.

I went to Stonehenge when I was a kid and found it to be very moving. I would definitely go there again. I've never been to Paris but it's definitely on the list!

I too have an upcoming Euro-adventure. Next week I am heading to the Swiss Alps to ride some of the epic Swiss passes with Gothard as my tour guide, and I believe we will also ride with forumite CPP who lives there.

Anyway, I hope you have a fun time Googling around and planning for your trip. October should be a nice time to go. Keep us posted!

Ken Robb
09-07-2008, 02:33 PM
[QUOTE=Karin Kirk]Sounds like a really fun trip Kevan. I like the idea of three generations traveling together.

I went to Stonehenge when I was a kid and found it to be very moving. I would definitely go there again. I've never been to Paris but it's definitely on the list!

I think it is now fenced off so you can't walk among the monoliths and touch them as in the old days. No, I wasn't there when they were built but soon afterward.

Pete Serotta
09-07-2008, 03:20 PM
Sounds like a wonderful trip and an outstanding family adventure. Please post pictures (which you are very good at) and words for us.

When do you leave and when do you return in October

PETE

Kevan
09-07-2008, 03:31 PM
I think it is now fenced off so you can't walk among the monoliths and touch them as in the old days. No, I wasn't there when they were built but soon afterward.

I went there as a kid too and then again about 3-4 years ago. I had forgotten the scale when I returned as an adult, it was much smaller that I remembered. Maybe because as a kid I was smaler but also because I was able to walk among the rocks, feel them, be more a part of them. Now you get to carry a big phone-like speaker that beeps at you every so often and feeds you tidbits of information. The path, the border chain, the electronic announcer don't come close to letting you touch the rocks.

Working out the details of visiting the Bormandy region and then maybe a town on our way to Paris. The Paris might be a bit fleeting, but I'm hoping we hit the museum, take in a gargoyle's view and maybe loosen a rivet on that tower they got there. Maybe more...