PDA

View Full Version : John Kerry

fiamme red
09-03-2008, 07:55 AM
http://www.salon.com/tech/htww/2008/09/03/john_kerry_road_rider/index.html?source=newsletter

http://www.slipstreamsports.com/2008/08/29/my-un-conventional-ride

jhcakilmer
09-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Great article, just wish he wasn't so stiff and awkward in 2004. He would have been a great prez, probably wouldn't have stayed as fit, though.

Probably done a lot of cycling in the past 4 years, to burn off the frustration... ;)

johnnymossville
09-03-2008, 08:24 AM
His Orange Serotta is nice.

Ray
09-03-2008, 09:31 AM
And the dude can descend like a lunatic, so at he very least, I know he’s got balls.
No, WAIT, he's a latte sipping, wind-surfing, elitist wimp who made up all of that heroic ***** he did in Viet Nam. He can't have balls! This is very very very confusing. I have to go have a latte and let this sink in a bit.

-Ray

zap
09-03-2008, 09:56 AM
We see him riding some in the D.C. burbs.

Ahneida Ride
09-03-2008, 10:51 AM
If anyone belives that riding a bike is for whimps and wussys,
I invite em to ride a 17 mile loop with me. Tis close to where I live. ;)

News Man
09-03-2008, 10:59 AM
No, WAIT, he's a latte sipping, wind-surfing, elitist wimp who made up all of that heroic ***** he did in Viet Nam.

-Ray

Correct!

I am not sure descending skills translate into balls or not. Its more about the bike. I descend with confidence on some bikes, but not others.

Kerry is probably a great guy to hang out with and maybe even ride with (like most people actually), but did not have the right stuff to lead then or now.

Ray
09-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Correct!

I am not sure descending skills translate into balls or not. Its more about the bike. I descend with confidence on some bikes, but not others.

Kerry is probably a great guy to hang out with and maybe even ride with (like most people actually), but did not have the right stuff to lead then or now.
I'm not gonna respond to any political taunts, no matter how strongly I disagree. Because I'm a latte sipping, bike riding, wimp.

-Ray

93legendti
09-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Correct!

Yes.

I am not sure how an average Senator; who ran a lousy National candidacy would be a "great" President, but I hear all sorts of things these days that surprise.

Here's what I thought at the time:

I am not sure Sen. Kerry fully vetted Sen. Edwards before picking him to be a V.P./running mate. Sen. Edwards was SO inexperienced: a one time US Senator with no foreign policy experience and no executive experience. Sen. Edwards didn't come from a big town. And he was SO young in 2004! You need more than good looks to be a VP. For him to be one heartbeat from the Presidency was scary. How much time did Sen. Kerry spend with Sen. Edwards before picking him to be the V.P./running mate?

How his sick wife and 2 young kids would have adapted to the National spotlight is something I hope Sen. Edwards (and Sen. Kerry) thought thru. I think his wife should have spent more time with her kids. :rolleyes:

dauwhe
09-03-2008, 11:44 AM
September and October are probably the best months of the year for riding in much of the U.S. Go out and ride, and come back and tell us how wonderful it was. Ask about tires and saddles. Tell scary stories about dogs and motorists and potholes. Make fun of slower riders. Make fun of faster riders. Share your favorite post-ride beverage. Make fun of me for eating Cheetos after long rides. Pretend to care about the Vuelta. Brag about how low your bars are. Tell me my favorite band sucks. Anything but this!

Dave

jhcakilmer
09-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Yes.

I am not sure how an average Senator; who ran a lousy National candidacy would be a "great" President, but I hear all sorts of things these days that surprise.

I am not sure Sen. Kerry fully vetted Sen. Edwards before picking him to be a V.P./running mate. Sen. Edwards was SO inexperienced: a one time US Senator with no foreign policy experience and no executive experience. Sen. Edwards didn't come from a big town. And he was SO young in 2004! You need more than good looks to be a VP. For him to be one heartbeat from the Presidency was scary. How much time did Sen. Kerry spend with Sen. Edwards before picking him to be the V.P./running mate?

How his sick wife and 2 young kids would have adapted to the National spotlight is something I hope Sen. Edwards (and Sen. Kerry) thought thru. I think his wife should have spent more time with her kids. :rolleyes:

So what did Dan Quayle bring to GHB?

Kerry, had more experience (national and international, including military), and more capability than GW, so all arguments are lost on this subject. Kerry would of been atleast an average president, much higher standards than present administration.

I liked Edwards at the time, but have lost a lot of respect for him. At the time, what he lacked in experience, he more than made up in capability!!!

man, I can't believe you brought up family values. Paulin touts herself as a "social conservative", which I think is ridiculous in of itself (like a political party determines, or represents the authenticity of spiritual conviction, or whether you love your family, etc).......but has an autistic child, and daughter that's pregnant.....how much time do you really think she spends with them??? What would happen if she became prez by default???

davep
09-03-2008, 11:56 AM
SSeptember and October are probably the best months of the year for riding in much of the U.S. Go out and ride, and come back and tell us how wonderful it was. Ask about tires and saddles. Tell scary stories about dogs and motorists and potholes. Make fun of slower riders. Make fun of faster riders. Share your favorite post-ride beverage. Make fun of me for eating Cheetos after long rides. Pretend to care about the Vuelta. Brag about how low your bars are. Tell me my favorite band sucks. Anything but this!

Chocolate milk

Cheetos - really?

Your favorite band sucks!!!

Anything but this!
+1,000,000

BumbleBeeDave
09-03-2008, 11:59 AM
September and October are probably the best months of the year for riding in much of the U.S. Go out and ride, and come back and tell us how wonderful it was. Ask about tires and saddles. Tell scary stories about dogs and motorists and potholes. Make fun of slower riders. Make fun of faster riders. Share your favorite post-ride beverage. Make fun of me for eating Cheetos after long rides. Pretend to care about the Vuelta. Brag about how low your bars are. Tell me my favorite band sucks. Anything but this!

Dave

Can't you guys find enough about this PRESENT election to start sniping at each other about?

ALL of youz guys go out for a LONG ride and quit this!

BBD

PS . . . Can I still be a wimp if I ride a bike but don't sip latte? What if I chug-a-lug my latte instead of sipping it? does that make me more manly? :rolleyes:

Ahneida Ride
09-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Because I'm a latte sipping, bike riding, wimp.
-Ray

Me Too !

Ahneida Ride
09-03-2008, 12:03 PM
B**2 D ...

Sorry, you must sip. Even William sips .... ;)

Sipping is most relaxing after a nice ride. :banana:

News Man
09-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Me Too !

Then, I am sorry, I can't vote for you as President of the U.S. I can however ride and hang with you. :)

dauwhe
09-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Chocolate milk

Cheetos - really?

Really! Chocolate milk during the ride; cheetos and soda after. I have the discerning tastes of a ten-year-old!

;)

Dave

GearsSchme
09-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Correct!

Wrong, anyone who can charge the lee hill switchback at that pace is a damn champ and applause is due. :beer:

67-59
09-03-2008, 12:23 PM

Dave

Your favorite brand sucks.

Oh, and +1. :beer:

News Man
09-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Wrong, anyone who can charge the lee hill switchback at that pace is a damn champ and applause is due. :beer:

I would have to ride it before I can agree with that statement, but if you are impressed with him (because he has balls), that would be between you and him.

Climb01742
09-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Yes.

i say this with a :D ...

isn't your political ax plenty sharp enough without needing to grind it at every opportunity? today, he's a guy who really rides, and it's a serotta no less. can't we just cut him some slack? :beer: ;) :p

johnnymossville
09-03-2008, 12:44 PM
i say this with a :D ...

isn't your political ax plenty sharp enough without needing to grind it at every opportunity? today, he's a guy who really rides, and it's a serotta no less. can't we just cut him some slack? :beer: ;) :p

Yep, I agree. He rides. That's cool no matter what.

BumbleBeeDave
09-03-2008, 12:49 PM
. . . and please let this thread die! :crap:

BBD

Alexi
09-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Yes.

hahahahaha I get it!

News Man
09-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Yep, I agree. He rides. That's cool no matter what.

I can agree with that.

Viper
09-03-2008, 01:33 PM

Dave

Cool stuff. :beer:

I'd also like to add that Facebook is a joke, who the hell has 94 friends or 59 friends or even 43?

Ozz
09-03-2008, 01:42 PM
...I'd also like to add that Facebook is a joke, who the hell has 94 friends or 59 friends or even 43?
May I add, who the heck feels the need to count their friends?

Man it's nice outside today..... :beer:

Ray
09-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Tell me my favorite band sucks. Anything but this!

Dave
Adam, your favorite band sucks! Dave, yours is probably OK.

That was a joke. Really. Its probably the other way around. Maybe MY favorite band sucks.

Politics is so confusing!

Peace, out.

-Ray

BumbleBeeDave
09-03-2008, 02:31 PM
. . . Except mine, of course! The Rainmakers ROCK!

Gotta go ride now . . .

BBD

Viper
09-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Adam, your favorite band sucks! Dave, yours is probably OK.

That was a joke. Really. Its probably the other way around. Maybe MY favorite band sucks.

Politics is so confusing!

Peace, out.

-Ray

I was an anti-Dead Head. Dunno why, I was too busy wearing sweater vests in the 80's. The Dead weren't 80's to my U2, Howard Jones, Cult, Cure, Duran Duran, INXS, PiL, Depeche Mode ears. I am glad to say I caught The Dead three times, they were really on for one of the shows, the other two, not so much. Politics can be very lame indeed. I still have many of my sweater vests. Ripple, may your water bottle be full.

Alexi
09-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Cool stuff. :beer:

I'd also like to add that Facebook is a joke, who the hell has 94 friends or 59 friends or even 43?

ok quick look at myspace, I have 173 friends, comming out to 5 pages of friends with 40 friends on each page. There is an average of 2 bands per page (most of which include my friends) but the rest are people I'd consider 1rst tier or second tier friends, their signifigant others or people who serve me coffee, food or work at other bikeshops or . Looking thru there is not a single person I could not enjoy a conversation with for at least 30 minutes, most I see on a regular basis (those I don't are in other cities). I'd consider them friends. But perhaps I'm just a friendly person?

Viper
09-03-2008, 02:42 PM
ok quick look at myspace, I have 173 friends, comming out to 5 pages of friends with 40 friends on each page. There is an average of 2 bands per page (most of which include my friends) but the rest are people I'd consider 1rst tier or second tier friends, their signifigant others or people who serve me coffee, food or work at other bikeshops or . Looking thru there is not a single person I could not enjoy a conversation with for at least 30 minutes, most I see on a regular basis (those I don't are in other cities). I'd consider them friends. But perhaps I'm just a friendly person?

I need some new inner tubes, Michelin preferred. If you send me one, with three (3) UPC symbols from any General Mills cereal, I will be your myspace friend. I will also rave about you to all 173 of your friends, how you were a Cat1 racer, but a shark attack ended your career etc. Moreover, for $9.99 the first five minutes and $4.99 every minute thereafter, I will conference-call you in the next time there's a hardcore sci-fi convo at the LGS:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=50013

EDIT: Jesus, I'll conference you in for free! Anyone who digs Moby Dick AND The Sea Wolf (1904) is in. Bro, I have a near original copyright (December 1916) of The Sea Wolf, my # 1 favorite book (even more than the Star Wars screenplay). Sea Wolf...I scarcely know where to begin...

http://london.sonoma.edu/Writings/SeaWolf/

:beer:

Ray
09-03-2008, 02:52 PM
I was an anti-Dead Head. Dunno why, I was too busy wearing sweater vests in the 80's. The Dead weren't 80's to my U2, Howard Jones, Cult, Cure, Duran Duran, INXS, PiL, Depeche Mode ears. I am glad to say I caught The Dead three times, they were really on for one of the shows, the other two, not so much. Politics can be very lame indeed. I still have many of my sweater vests. Ripple, may your water bottle be full.
The beauty part with the Dead was how bad they could be and how freakin' amazingly great they could be the next night. They took chances, they let themselves try stuff and fail. But when it worked, good lord did it work. I saw a lot of bands that were very very very very good and even great night after night after night. But it wasn't interesting or different enough to keep going back. With the Dead, you just never knew, which kept it fun. But the '80s was not their best decade by a long shot, so I'm not surprised they didn't do much for you.

-Ray

jdoiv
09-03-2008, 02:59 PM
snip. . . The Rainmakers ROCK!
snip

BBD
+1!

gdw
09-03-2008, 03:08 PM
showed them riding single file up Lefthand Canyon. :D

Alexi
09-03-2008, 03:15 PM
hmmm well I've got some latex michelin tubes kicking around but you'll have to pay for um... how about with that copy of the Sea Wolf. You can drop it off at Ace Wheelworks 175 Elm st. Somerville MA.

oh so yeah I'm not voting for neither party... is there some way we can just nominate a King or something?

I need some new inner tubes, Michelin preferred. If you send me one, with three (3) UPC symbols from any General Mills cereal, I will be your myspace friend. I will also rave about you to all 173 of your friends, how you were a Cat1 racer, but a shark attack ended your career etc. Moreover, for $9.99 the first five minutes and $4.99 every minute thereafter, I will conference-call you in the next time there's a hardcore sci-fi convo at the LGS:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=50013

EDIT: Jesus, I'll conference you in for free! Anyone who digs Moby Dick AND The Sea Wolf (1904) is in. Bro, I have a near original copyright (December 1916) of The Sea Wolf, my # 1 favorite book (even more than the Star Wars screenplay). Sea Wolf...I scarcely know where to begin...

http://london.sonoma.edu/Writings/SeaWolf/

:beer:

michael white
09-03-2008, 04:29 PM
The beauty part with the Dead was how bad they could be and how freakin' amazingly great they could be the next night. They took chances, they let themselves try stuff and fail. But when it worked, good lord did it work. I saw a lot of bands that were very very very very good and even great night after night after night. But it wasn't interesting or different enough to keep going back. With the Dead, you just never knew, which kept it fun. But the '80s was not their best decade by a long shot, so I'm not surprised they didn't do much for you.

-Ray

I don't remember anything good from the 80s. Was there something I missed?

michael white
09-03-2008, 04:31 PM

sweater vests over a white t-shirt--still cutting edge atmo.

Blue Jays
09-03-2008, 04:43 PM
"I don't remember anything good from the 80s. Was there something I missed?"Yes. The most awesome heavy metal music EVER! :)

93legendti
09-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Yes. The most awesome heavy metal music EVER! :)
Ratt
Winger
Whitensake
White Lion
Night Ranger
Van Halen
Bonham
Kingdom Come
Motley Crue

jhcakilmer
09-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Yes. The most awesome heavy metal music EVER! :)

Don't you mean Glam Metal, or Hair Bands??? Gotta love the big hair!!

Dekonick
09-03-2008, 06:17 PM

Howard Jones and PiL - that's an interesting mix...

Dekonick
09-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Ratt
Winger
Whitensake
White Lion
Night Ranger
Van Halen
Bonham
Kingdom Come
Motley Crue

Ahem...

how about

AC/DC
Scorpions
RUSH

( :banana:

Blue Jays
09-03-2008, 06:23 PM
One can't forget the classic heavy metal band that essentially created a genre:

http://judaspriest.com/photo/newpriest/NewPriestLogoWhite_1024.jpg

Blue Jays
09-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Rock on!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/itsamelman/Freep/bandbheadbang.gif

93legendti
09-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Rock on!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/itsamelman/Freep/bandbheadbang.gif
Triumph
April Wine

Ahem...

how about

AC/DC
Scorpions
RUSH

( :banana:

Motorhead
Fastway
Pat Travers
BOC

Alexi
09-03-2008, 10:15 PM
RUSH SUCKS!

http://www.solarnavigator.net/music/music_images/Iron_Maiden_Iron_Maiden_record_album_cover_Eddie.j pg

Alexi
09-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Ace of Spades (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4esUPN8SIs)

93legendti
09-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Msg

Blue Jays
09-03-2008, 10:37 PM
We must absolutely remember other 1980's greats like:

Dokken
Cinderella
Queensryche
Rainbow
Dio
and of course, the great OZZY OSBOURNE!

Viper
09-03-2008, 10:42 PM
We must absolutely remember other 1980's greats like:

Dokken
Cinderella
Queensryche
Rainbow
Dio
and of course, the great OZZY OSBOURNE!

Metallica? Yes!

Blue Jays
Ted Nugent was the coolest back then.
We also have the two M's of fury, Megadeth & Metallica

93legendti
Stryper!

Blue Jays
09-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Viper, we were posting simultaneously. We were communicating with the power of rock.

johnnymossville
09-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Judas Priest. hehe

93legendti
09-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Def Leppard

Blue Jays
09-03-2008, 10:51 PM
Def LeppardThat bang, bang, bang combination of On Through The Night, then High 'N' Dry, followed by Pyromania was fantastic during that era...

Good catch! :)

93legendti
09-03-2008, 10:53 PM
That bang, bang, bang combination of On Through The Night, then High 'N' Dry, followed by Pyromania was fantastic during that era...

Can't believe I didn't mention them sooner...

Viper
09-03-2008, 10:58 PM
That bang, bang, bang combination of On Through The Night, then High 'N' Dry, followed by Pyromania was fantastic during that era...

I recently bought their double disc, greatest hits. Disc 1 rocks!

Still, some of the biggest metal, rock stars of the 80's were Sean Kelly and Stephen Roche. :)

Blue Jays
09-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Sean "Saturday Night" Kelly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlEhfLkeNEs) was definitely the schizzle!
Had a huge poster of him hanging behind my bike in my bedroom for years.

GearsSchme
09-03-2008, 11:05 PM
Def Leppard
Auditory garbage, my ears are bleeding just reading this.

Blue Jays
09-03-2008, 11:08 PM
"...my ears are bleeding just reading this..."What are your suggestions? We're very busy rockin' here, dude! :)

Viper
09-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Sean "Saturday Night" Kelly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlEhfLkeNEs) was definitely the schizzle!
Had a huge poster of him hanging behind my bike in my bedroom for years.

Was Billy Squire a five-hit wonder? I felt some Zeppelin in those five songs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_sSrV9eFrM

Blue Jays
09-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Yep, there is definitely a flavor of Led Zeppelin drum-tuning in there, for sure.

Viper
09-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Yep, there is definitely a flavor of Led Zeppelin drum-tuning in there, for sure.

Robert Palmer, rest his soul, doesn't get enough credit for his work in the 80's. Rock, jazz, soul, reggae, he did it all. In a game of rock, paper, scissors, Palmer is a paper shredder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1UBS5ZL7Hs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyDvXdHY3lA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md7MYS06Tdw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_ZOT4t_4Sc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7t4khQXm0o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxVxOoh0HcU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMT-oiiY7DE

Can we EVER forget these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAzF8iJ0gMw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvAiPQRazCI

Blue Jays
09-04-2008, 12:35 AM
"...Robert Palmer, rest his soul, doesn't get enough credit for his work in the 80's..."Oh, snap! He was a sharp-dresser!

dsteady
09-04-2008, 02:44 AM
Oh, snap! He was a sharp-dresser!

Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley

great album.

nohappen
09-04-2008, 03:58 AM
He would have been a great prez, probably wouldn't have stayed as fit, though.

Blue Jays
09-04-2008, 04:19 AM
"He would have been a great prez, probably wouldn't have stayed as fit, though."Are you talking about Kip Winger, Ronnie James Dio, or Ozzy Osbourne? Maybe Joe Elliot?
Most of them still have a great set of pipes and can belt out the old tunes!

Blue Jays
09-05-2008, 12:20 AM
The guys from The Cult definitely knew how to rock the 1980's:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/67/The_Cult-Electric_(album_cover).jpg

Alexi
09-05-2008, 06:36 AM
Dio For Prez? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ_FgL5l1og)

Bill Bove
09-05-2008, 09:29 AM
I had an autographed picture of Bob Weir wearing a pink jersey, riding a Spectrum Ti.

Gary Fisher had a Grateful Dead special edition Hoo Koo E Koo.

Did Dee Schneider ride :confused:

Blue Jays
09-05-2008, 09:44 AM
"...I had an autographed picture of Bob Weir wearing a pink jersey, riding a Spectrum Ti..."Yep -- http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/52.htm

97CSI
09-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Correct!

Kerry is probably a great guy to hang out with and maybe even ride with (like most people actually), but did not have the right stuff to lead then or now.Descending in the Tampa area isn't the same as descending in the Boulder area. On a competent bike it is all about the rider.