PDA

View Full Version : Is 2008 Chorus showing up anywhere cheap?

paczki
09-03-2008, 07:19 AM
Has anyone started to unload 2008 Chorus cheap? Lickton is the cheapest I've found.

soulspinner
09-03-2008, 07:28 AM
Thats the best Ive seen-1195 shipped? Seems like a bargain compared to the latest from Campy and Shimano. I have a 2003 Chorus group undergoing its second right shifter rebuild and new chainrings. This at the 20000 mile mark and still going strong....

Dave
09-03-2008, 07:45 AM
I've seen '09 Chorus 11 speed for $1230, so the '08 would have to get well below that to be considered a bargain. I haven't seen anyone with closeout pricing yet, since the '09 parts are just beginning to ship. It will probably be several months before you see many significant price reductions.

$1200 seems to be the going rate for Chorus and $1700 for Record.

wgp
09-03-2008, 07:48 AM
I just bought a Chorus gruppo from Lickton's (aka lickbike) a few weeks ago for my new Moots build-up - they were the cheapest by far, and I looked all around. Took a bit for them to acquire all the pieces, so it wasn't shipped until over one week from when I placed the order, but the price was great and the different folks I spoke to over the week were all very nice.

paczki
09-03-2008, 07:54 AM
I've seen '09 Chorus 11 speed for $1230, so the '08 would have to get well below that to be considered a bargain. I haven't seen anyone with closeout pricing yet, since the '09 parts are just beginning to ship. It will probably be several months before you see many significant price reductions.

Where have you seen this? That's cheap!

Dave
09-03-2008, 08:04 AM
Where have you seen this? That's cheap!

I'm keeping that one to myself for now. The groups aren't available yet, so all you can do is book an order and hope it arrives in the next month or so. The actual price varies daily, with the Euro to dollar exchange rate. Prices for Record and Chorus are not supposed to go up for '09, which is really amazing with all of the major changes. There is no reason for prices to be inflated like those from Competitive Cyclist, other than greed.

ecl2k
09-03-2008, 08:16 AM
I'm keeping that one to myself for now. The groups aren't available yet, so all you can do is book an order and hope it arrives in the next month or so.

thanks for nothing :rolleyes:

soulspinner
09-03-2008, 08:32 AM
I'm keeping that one to myself for now. The groups aren't available yet, so all you can do is book an order and hope it arrives in the next month or so. The actual price varies daily, with the Euro to dollar exchange rate. Prices for Record and Chorus are not supposed to go up for '09, which is really amazing with all of the major changes. There is no reason for prices to be inflated like those from Competitive Cyclist, other than greed.

I keep an eye on the exchange rates. Thats a ridiculous price for 09, makes me think either they are selling it short or...btw Dave, can you dump the cassette 0n 09 chorus?

Dave
09-03-2008, 09:05 AM
I keep an eye on the exchange rates. Thats a ridiculous price for 09, makes me think either they are selling it short or...btw Dave, can you dump the cassette 0n 09 chorus?

The price in Euros for the '08 Chrorus group is 830 and the '09 is 835. It's the same price that several USA based online dealers have been charging for the '08 group, so it's not overly cheap. That's exactly what has been advertised by Campy. The SR group is about 17% higher than Record (not worth it to me), while Record is supposed to drop 2% and Chorus remain the same price for '09.

As for dumping the cassette, I assume you mean shifting with the thumb button? That has been limited to 5 cogs with one push of the button, but the finger lever can still do 3, while Shimano's new lever can only do 2.

Dave
09-03-2008, 09:07 AM
thanks for nothing :rolleyes:

I don't want to be blamed if it turns out the company can't deliver in a reasonable time. They claim deliveries are expected to begin this month. Who knows, maybe I won't get anything before Christmas.

SamIAm
09-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Here is one place you can get 09 Chorus for 1200 or so. Its in Switzerland and they say they can ship next month.

http://www.bellatisport.com/shop/category/206/product/1197/Campagnolo_Chorus_Ultra_Shift_11_speed_Group_2009. html

tiretrax
09-03-2008, 09:48 AM
sam, have you ordered from them? how can they sell for 40% off?

Pete Serotta
09-03-2008, 09:48 AM
might try sending a note to PARKER or PROBIKE in Europe. THe dollar has strengthened some what lately. Problem is that of availability so be careful where you place an order. (ie go to a firm that has a proven track record)

With availability tight things could be questionable - by this I mean if a price seems to good to be true - it might not be true for "It might not ever get delivered" :)

soulspinner
09-03-2008, 11:48 AM
The price in Euros for the '08 Chrorus group is 830 and the '09 is 835. It's the same price that several USA based online dealers have been charging for the '08 group, so it's not overly cheap. That's exactly what has been advertised by Campy. The SR group is about 17% higher than Record (not worth it to me), while Record is supposed to drop 2% and Chorus remain the same price for '09.

As for dumping the cassette, I assume you mean shifting with the thumb button? That has been limited to 5 cogs with one push of the button, but the finger lever can still do 3, while Shimano's new lever can only do 2.

Dave
09-03-2008, 03:37 PM

They can sell for 40% off because the retail price is either inflated, or the wholesale cost to them is less than half of that retail price. Either way, they're making money or they would not be in business.

Their prices are about the same as I've seen elsewhere and about the same as a good price for an '08 group. Campy has been clear, the prices are NOT going up. The new SR group is higher priced since it's a higher level, with a few improvements over Record. It's not worth the extra $, but Record is really overpriced too, compared to Chorus.

tiretrax
09-03-2008, 04:20 PM
i understand the model of small margin, high volume, but bike dealers claim to have small margins. i'm surprised to see a margin of 100-120% on bike parts. bike clothes, probably. that's why department stores always have 25% off sales.

have you done business with the retailer you've identified? i hope you'll reveal its name soon.

Dave
09-03-2008, 04:51 PM
i understand the model of small margin, high volume, but bike dealers claim to have small margins. i'm surprised to see a margin of 100-120% on bike parts. bike clothes, probably. that's why department stores always have 25% off sales.

have you done business with the retailer you've identified? i hope you'll reveal its name soon.

Another reason not to reveal the source. Never used them, so can't vouch for reliability. All I can say is they respond to e-mail and won't take your credit card number until they are ready to ship.

I still don't why you're surprised, when numerous USA based online dealers have the same prices for '08 parts and the '09 are NOT going up, other than what the exchange rate dictates. Not much you can do about that.

cadence90
09-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Bellati Sport is a good, reliable shop. They have been around a for quite awhile.
I have emailed and ordered from them (to the US) and have never had any issues.
Here is one place you can get 09 Chorus for 1200 or so. Its in Switzerland and they say they can ship next month.

http://www.bellatisport.com/shop/category/206/product/1197/Campagnolo_Chorus_Ultra_Shift_11_speed_Group_2009. html

paczki
09-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Bellati Sport is a good, reliable shop. They have been around a for quite awhile.
I have emailed and ordered from them (to the US) and have never had any issues.

Do the warrantees work if you buy through them?

cadence90
09-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Do the warrantees work if you buy through them?
I would think so.
I've not had any component from them break or fail, so I never had to resort to warranty use, but everything came in original, sealed boxes, with papers, etc.

I would think it's the same as ordering from PBK or Ribble in the UK, or even Lickbike/Wise/etc. here in the US.

I haven't ordered anything from abroad in awhile, because of the bad Euro/$ rate.

Dave
09-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Although I buy nothing but Campy, their warranty sucks. Regardless of who you buy from, a defective item must be returned by an authorized dealer. You can't just send it to the repair facility in California and expect them to respond to your problem. I once returned a shifter to an online dealer for warranty service and got it repaired free, but it took 3 months. I expected that and just bought new shifters, before I removed the old one for repair.

If you buy from a European source, returning a defective item to them to forward to Campy will be expensive and take a long time.

You need a friendly and readily available dealer if you expect decent warranty service. IMO, it's not worth the extra cost (maybe $1000) to get fast warranty service on a new SR group.

That said, the one repair I had done in 13 years I could have done myself for $20 or less. I never expect any Campy part to require warranty service.

SoCalSteve
09-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Although I buy nothing but Campy, their warranty sucks. Regardless of who you buy from, a defective item must be returned by an authorized dealer. You can't just send it to the repair facility in California and expect them to respond to your problem. I once returned a shifter to an online dealer for warranty service and got it repaired free, but it took 3 months. I expected that and just bought new shifters, before I removed the old one for repair.

If you buy from a European source, returning a defective item to them to forward to Campy will be expensive and take a long time.

You need a friendly and readily available dealer if you expect decent warranty service. IMO, it's not worth the extra cost (maybe $1000) to get fast warranty service on a new SR group.

That said, the one repair I had done in 13 years I could have done myself for $20 or less. I never expect any Campy part to require warranty service.

Gotta love Shimano! They dont care where you buy from and they send a brand new item within 2 days, no questions ever asked...

Just sayin'

Steve

PS: They are in Orange County, CA

soulspinner
09-04-2008, 04:00 AM
In all fairness, CC says Campy has never officially published MSRP until now. What you buy it for wont ever be MSRP anyway, but to say its not going up means nuttin. What the market will bear is another thing. Wouldnt bother me if so few bought 11 speed it was cheaper than 10. After all, having to buy even more expensive cassettes and chains is no bargain either... :crap:

Dave
09-04-2008, 07:16 AM
Gotta love Shimano! They dont care where you buy from and they send a brand new item within 2 days, no questions ever asked...

Just sayin'

Steve

PS: They are in Orange County, CA

The lack of warranty is only a concern if you need it often and maybe that's the case with Shimano. One small defect in 13 years is no big deal to me. My shifter still worked, but didn't have a solid click on the first shift. FWIW, Campy's new shifters are supposed to have eliminated the most common wear item (g-springs). If that's the case then future Campy users will enjoy longer life, but if the shifter does have a problem it's still repairable - unlike Shimano.

Have YOU bought any of those $700 DA 7900 shifters? I can get two pairs of Record shifters for that price.

Just sayin'

Dave
09-04-2008, 07:27 AM
In all fairness, CC says Campy has never officially published MSRP until now. What you buy it for wont ever be MSRP anyway, but to say its not going up means nuttin. What the market will bear is another thing. Wouldnt bother me if so few bought 11 speed it was cheaper than 10. After all, having to buy even more expensive cassettes and chains is no bargain either... :crap:

When I go to a website and they list the same price in Euros for '08 or '09 groups, it tells me the price is not going up. Some major online dealers have recently raised prices on '08 parts, with Record shifters for example, going from $310 to $355. The '09 models can be had for $355.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/display/15401/

The longer chain life that Campy offers easily offsets the additional cost. The most I ever paid for a Campy 10 chain was $42.

Cassettes are high priced, but that just prompted me to figure out how to make them last longer. A three chain rotation will eliminate any chance of chain skip for 12-15,000 miles. I expect to pay an extra $60 for a Chorus cassette, once every three years. Not too big a deal.

oldguy00
09-04-2008, 07:44 AM
.............The '09 models can be had for $355.

Those are the 08 Record shifters, not 09

Dave
09-04-2008, 08:07 AM
Those are the 08 Record shifters, not 09

Yes, they are! I was showing the recent price increase. Some Euro sites have that same price for either '08 or '09 shifters - of course the '09 models are not yet available, but will be soon.

A good price for an '09 Centaur shifter is $235 and those are available now.

soulspinner
09-04-2008, 08:40 AM
When I go to a website and they list the same price in Euros for '08 or '09 groups, it tells me the price is not going up. Some major online dealers have recently raised prices on '08 parts, with Record shifters for example, going from $310 to $355. The '09 models can be had for $355.

The longer chain life that Campy offers easily offsets the additional cost. The most I ever paid for a Campy 10 chain was $42.

Cassettes are high priced, but that just prompted me to figure out how to make them last longer. A three chain rotation will eliminate any chance of chain skip for 12-15,000 miles. I expect to pay an extra $60 for a Chorus cassette, once every three years. Not too big a deal.

I gotta think if they are virtually the same price now, they are at their ceiling and may get cheaper...

SoCalSteve
09-04-2008, 10:12 AM
The lack of warranty is only a concern if you need it often and maybe that's the case with Shimano. One small defect in 13 years is no big deal to me. My shifter still worked, but didn't have a solid click on the first shift. FWIW, Campy's new shifters are supposed to have eliminated the most common wear item (g-springs). If that's the case then future Campy users will enjoy longer life, but if the shifter does have a problem it's still repairable - unlike Shimano.

Have YOU bought any of those $700 DA 7900 shifters? I can get two pairs of Record shifters for that price.
Just sayin'

Yes, but the small bits to repair (and maintain) your Campy components will run you about $800.00...

Just sayin'

michael white
09-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Yes, but the small bits to repair (and maintain) your Campy components will run you about $800.00...

Just sayin'

jeez, that's the truth. . . it's Family owned and operated!

Dave
09-04-2008, 11:11 AM

Just sayin'

I paid $12 for two pairs of G-springs (enough for two overhauls). An index gear is less than $50 and not usually needed until the second or third replacement of g-springs.

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=list&Category=553&Brand=60&type=T&startRow=1

Why not check your facts before posting this nonsense?

Just sayin'

SoCalSteve
09-04-2008, 02:29 PM
I paid $12 for two pairs of G-springs (enough for two overhauls). An index gear is less than $50 and not usually needed until the second or third replacement of g-springs.

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=list&Category=553&Brand=60&type=T&startRow=1

Why not check your facts before posting this nonsense?

Just sayin'

Ever hear of exagerration to prove a point? Oh, and yes, it is nonesense...But, you have to admit that $12.00 for a $.50 part is pretty nonesensical as well.

Pete Serotta
09-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Campy vs Shimano is like a war.....Lets not fight it.. :) We are friends :beer:

They both are great when they work and they both suck when they are broken :no:

As to price - It has always been, as with most things, - What the market will bear. :p

If supply is way over demand price will tend to move down. If supply is at or severely under demand - price goes up. (This is economic 101) just look at gas prices - -Crude went down from 140 to 110 about (20%) GAS went down maybe 10% (IT sure went up faster). Another example - look at what CAMPY RED levers were selling for - and now :confused: :confused:

Watch what you buy from US vs non US sources (not specific to bike parts)/ Some US importers do not recognize or warrant non US purchases. I have seen this in watches, cameras, and other high end/luxury items

SoCalSteve
09-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Campy vs Shimano is like a war.....Lets not fight it.. :) We are friends :beer:

They both are great when they work and they both suck when they are broken :no:

As to price - It has always been, as with most things, - What the market will bear. :p

If supply is way over demand price will tend to move down. If supply is at or severely under demand - price goes up. (This is economic 101) just look at gas prices - -Crude went down from 140 to 110 about (20%) GAS went down maybe 10% (IT sure went up faster). Another example - look at what CAMPY RED levers were selling for - and now :confused: :confused:

Watch what you buy from US vs non US sources (not specific to bike parts)/ Some US importers do not recognize or warrant non US purchases. I have seen this in watches, cameras, and other high end/luxury items

But he started it!

Just joking (of course) :banana:

Its all good and its only getting better! As for expensive, well, wait a couple years and you will be able to find deals on EVERYTHING. We see this all the time in the Classifieds section.

If you need to be the first on your block, then you will pay for it dearly. Remember the Mazda Miata?

Pete, thanks for being the voice of wisdom and for being such a great moderator. Your the best!

Steve