PDA

View Full Version : Which to choose:08 Look 555 or 06 Serotta Fierte Steel?

cdiker
09-02-2008, 12:02 PM
I have a difficult choice to make. Two great bikes that are listed about the same price. Under 2400.00 for the full carbon 08 Look 555 full Ultegra w/ compact double but LBS will change out to 53/39 double at N/C or 53/42/30 triple for added 50.00-75.00 cost. Has Mavic Aksium Equipe wheel set.
2500.00 for the 06 Serotta has triple chaining w/ Shimano wheel set 105 or Ultegra, not sure? Otherwise Full Ultegra on brakes, derailers, etc. just like the Look. Full steel except for the carbon fork and seat stays. Has paint chip on top tube.

Both ride great. Look slightly faster, Serotta a little more comfy .

Wish I could buy both but wife says only one.

I think the price is hard to beat for the LOOK but I also think the LBS should take the 06 Serotta down close to two grand which would make the decision easier to pick it.
What do you think?

johnnymossville
09-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Hmm, my opinion only, but I'd say it depends on how long you keep your bikes. If you are going to race it (or just ride it I'm guessing, since I see you are going for a triple) one or two years and move on, maybe you should go for the Look. But,... if you are like me and keep bikes around forever, go for the Serotta. I think a long term relationship with a Serotta would be much more wonderful thing.

Pete Serotta
09-02-2008, 02:52 PM
I know folks that are very happy with their Look and others that are very happy with their Serotta :) :) It is really down to "which puts the biggest smile on you face :D :D (as well as wich one fits you for the type riding you do.)

Vote with your heart ;) ;)

victoryfactory
09-03-2008, 07:11 AM
Pete is right on this choice. The heart rules here. Which bike gives you
the greater joy when you throw your leg over it. Which bike speaks to you
at night in your dreams and says: get up early, ride me, buy me new parts,
replace my tape, clean my chain.

FWIW I have a Look 555 and a Serotta Atlanta and I love them both. They
are very different rides. The Look has sharper handling is a bit lighter and is
very smooth for a carbon frame, but I can't get past the subtle vibe of
disposability. The Atlanta has the pedigree and feel of a bike that you might
keep for a long time and cherish. Assuming they both fit, I'd go Fierte unless
I was racing, then I'd go Look. Also it depends on how much the paint chip
on the Fierte bothers you.

VF

soulspinner
09-03-2008, 07:36 AM
The obvious reply to me is that the Look ony has 4 sizes and you may find it to fit or not. Its also more racey due to its shorter head tube for a given size, lighter weight and probable stiffness advantage. That said I want a 585 but would have to put 25 mms of spacers on a 53 and I dislike the aesthetic(5-10, 85 inseam). Either way you gotta nice ride...

kerrycycle
09-04-2008, 08:31 AM
You need to seriously consider the differences in geometry compared with what you want to do with it. The fierte most likely has more "relaxed" geometry compared with the Look (i.e. softer angles, taller headtube, longer chainstays, etc.). It you want a very comfortable bike good for longer rides, go with the Fierte. If you prefer more aggressive geo, and might possibly race it, go with the Look. Get a proper fitting and consider what you feel is important in a bike and make your choice based on that.

soulspinner
09-04-2008, 08:35 AM
You need to seriously consider the differences in geometry compared with what you want to do with it. The fierte most likely has more "relaxed" geometry compared with the Look (i.e. softer angles, taller headtube, longer chainstays, etc.). It you want a very comfortable bike good for longer rides, go with the Fierte. If you prefer more aggressive geo, and might possibly race it, go with the Look. Get a proper fitting and consider what you feel is important in a bike and make your choice based on that.

Ya, what he said ....

rwsaunders
09-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Have you ever put a bike down hard? If not, it's only a matter of time. I'd go for the steel, unless I were looking at a disposable race machine.