PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Raleigh MT200 mtn bike restore

fierte_poser
09-01-2008, 10:02 PM
I decided to restore my 1994 Raleigh MT200 mtb this summer so that I would have a bike for around town riding. I bought this bike new in 1994 when I moved to Boulder to go to grad school. I used it a lot as a grad student. Bike commuting was a lot easier than driving a car to campus and a lot more fun. It also made numerous trips up Flagstaff Mtn and Sunshine Canyon as I didn't have a road bike at the time. At the end of those [epic] climbs, I would always cool down by cruising the Boulder Creek path. The local scenery on the path seemed a just reward for my ride up the mtn/canyon. Good times. Once I graduated, I bought my first real road bike (1997 Bianchi Veloce), and the poor Raleigh has basically been moth balled for the last 11 years.

Here's what I did to make it road worthy again:

New cassette (Nashbar)
New wheelset (Sun Rhyno Lite rims/Shimano M525 hubs)
New tires and tubes (Performance Forte Gotham made by Panaracer)
New chain (SRAM)
New BB (Shimano)
New brake pads (Delta Aztec)

Inaugural ride was to Starbucks today for an Iced Grande Mocha. Killer app for this newly resurrected Made in the USA Raleigh. Hope you enjoy the pics.

fierte_poser
09-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Can you believe that $400 mtn bikes were Made in the USA in 1994? Hard to believe such a time ever existed.

fierte_poser
09-01-2008, 10:08 PM
This entry level Raleigh featured composite construction. Aluminum top and down tubes and everything else was steel.

fierte_poser
09-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Crazy joining of the aluminum top tube with the steel seat cluster. The decal across the top of the tube says 'Technium', whatever that marketing nonsense means. Note the USA pride on this Labor Day 2008! Cool flash pop highlights the metallic red anodized top tube. (At least I think its anodized.)

fierte_poser
09-01-2008, 10:15 PM
One more pic of the seat tube cluster/top tube bonding detail. Note 15 year old cables and housing!

fierte_poser
09-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Plymouth Greyhound waited patiently during the construction of this thread. The end.

avalonracing
09-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Umm, I think there is a sedated deer laying in your living room.

johnnymossville
09-01-2008, 11:21 PM
nice bike, but the deer, I mean dog is a scene stealer! LOL

Kirk007
09-01-2008, 11:55 PM
I had Raleigh as a client about then - used to go down to the assembly plant in South Seattle to check things out; picked up a carbon fiber monoque frame mountain bike from them about that time. It is a pretty bike - too bad it hangs in the brother in laws garage as clean as it was the day it was bought!