PDA

View Full Version : Hudz and "Far and Near" replacement hoods

dekindy
09-01-2008, 09:40 PM
I am looking to get some color contrast other than black on my naked Legend frame. The decals are red so I am going with red.

So far I have purchased some red sidewall Pro Race 3's and I will probably have Quality brand red brake and shifter housing and red Fizik microtex tape installed at my next overhaul.

Any experience with and opinions on Hudz or Far and Near brand replacment hoods for Shimano Ultegra?

stuckey
09-01-2008, 09:42 PM
I have the Campy Far and Near hoods and they are really nice. If you do not look at them or think about them while ridding you would never know they are not the stock ones. I would think the Shimano ones would be of the same quality.

paczki
09-01-2008, 09:47 PM
I bought some white Shimano Hudz and they are real nice. Unlike Shimano hoods they have a seam, but otherwise well made.

davidlee
09-01-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm about to get a set of Far and Near for Campag. The Hudz don't fit tightly enough for my liking and they move around a bit on the levers.
A shame 'cause the the white ones look really good, Hudz misses one of the front anchors where the hood "grabs" the shifter and its lets them loosen.
Just my 2 cents.
d

Ahneida Ride
09-01-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm about to get a set of Far and Near for Campag. The Hudz don't fit tightly enough for my liking and they move around a bit on the levers.
A shame 'cause the the white ones look really good, Hudz misses one of the front anchors where the hood "grabs" the shifter and its lets them loosen.
Just my 2 cents.
d

Gee. I have the exact oppposite experience. I can't move my Campy Hudz
at all. Not true for OEM Campy hoods.

Did you get a bad batch ?

quattro
09-02-2008, 05:38 AM
I recently purchased a set of white far and near brake hoods to replace my black Shimano DA hoods. They fit very well and look and feel just like the original Shimano hoods. The folks at Fair Wheel Bikes told me they liked the far and near some what better as well. They sell both, the far and near are also a few dollars less expensive.

quattro

William
09-02-2008, 07:47 AM
Gee. I have the exact oppposite experience. I can't move my Campy Hudz
at all. Not true for OEM Campy hoods.

Did you get a bad batch ?

I heard what a certain Smiling guy in the Lakes region said about your Hudz. :no:

:D Sgt. Salmonella

wasfast
09-02-2008, 08:33 AM
For Campy, I'm very happy with the Far and Near. The white is more appliance white so it's not the yellowish white that the Fizik Caulk white bar tape/saddle is. Minor niggle.

I bought mine from Fairwheel bikes as well after reading some of the comparisions with Hudz.

dave thompson
09-02-2008, 09:34 AM
I am looking to get some color contrast other than black on my naked Legend frame. The decals are red so I am going with red.

So far I have purchased some red sidewall Pro Race 3's and I will probably have Quality brand red brake and shifter housing and red Fizik microtex tape installed at my next overhaul.

Any experience with and opinions on Hudz or Far and Near brand replacment hoods for Shimano Ultegra?
I can't speak for Hudz on Ultegra shifters but on Dura Ace I really like them. They offer a slightly broader and a much nicer transition from the bars to the hoods, more comfortable to ride on the hoods and the finger groove on the bottom is brilliant as it positions my hands perfectly.

KeithS
09-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Fizik red tape, red Hudz. Not a great picture but you should get the idea.

DA not Ultegra, but they make 'em for both....

dekindy
09-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Fizik red tape, red Hudz. Not a great picture but you should get the idea.

DA not Ultegra, but they make 'em for both....

Good picture. Thanks. My LBS has Hudz in their extended catalog so hopefully they have experience selling it and can give me further feedback.

It seems that Far and Near gets a slight edge in quality and price from those that have experience with both. However I am getting very positive feedback on both brands.

mschol17
09-02-2008, 01:01 PM
I haven't used the Hudz, but I have white Far and Near Campy hoods and they are the exact same material and fit and texture as stock Campy hoods. So, they get a thumbs up in my book.

Ahneida Ride
09-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Just one Dufus opinion .... ;)

OEM Crampy Hoods S**K. They rotate too easily. Too Pointy. No flat spot
on top. Rubber feels oily. Not available in colors. Very uncomfortable.
I have always detested em with a fervent passion.
A perfect reason to go ChitManNo.

The Hudz hoods solve all these issues. Unfortunately the quality of the
finish could be improved a bit. The edges can be a bit rough.

for 30 frn, I'd expect a bit more attention to detal.
But I could never return to Crampy.